Roger Waters "Amused To Death" SACD 5.1 Why is it delayed again?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dvda, Jul 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

UPDATE: Roger Waters : Amused To Death

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/feature/rogerwaters_Japanexclusive_amusedtodeath

Available August 5th

Up for Pre -Order at CD Japan now.

One of masterpieces by Roger Waters, "Amused To Death," which was originally released in 1992, backs with ultimate sound treatment and new cover artwork. Legendary recording engineer/producer James Guthrie, who has worked with Pink Floyd for a long time, is responsible for mixing this release with the highest quality recording technology, using the original master tape.

Deluxe Edition U.S. $40.66

CD featuring Blu-spec CD2 format and 2015 remastering as well as a Blu-ray Audio disc with 5.1 surround mix (24bit/96khz uncompressed). Comes with a description and lyrics. [Product Notes] Blu-ray Audio disc is compatible with Blu-ray players and includes only audio tracks. It is not compatible with standard CD players.

SACD Edition U.S. $30.90

This edition exclusively features SACD (Blu-spec CD2 feature) format, using the technology of Blu-spec CD2 on SACD. Features stereo mix (24bit/96khz uncompressed). Features 2015 remastering. Comes with a description and lyrics. [Product Notes] This product is fully compatible with standard Super Audio CD players, but they do not play on regular CD players

Standard Edition U.S. $20.33

Features Blu-spec CD2 format and 2015 remastering. Comes with a description and lyrics.

So 5.1 audio on the BD only

Too bad there's NO Edition with the SACD and the BD

2. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

To be clear, this information only applies to the Japanese releases, yes? The Analogue Productions SACD will have both stereo (two layers) and multichannel, right? (I mean, that's their own retail site, so...)

3. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Yes....Info is for Japan releases only.

And......Yes the U.S. $35 AP SACD does mention M/C so we can only hope that the 2 Stereo layers will also be there.

It will be VERY interesting to read about all the upcoming format SQ comparisons!!!!

4. bmoura

bmoura Senior Member

Right, the Acoustic Sounds SACD will be a Hybrid Multichannel SACD with Stereo SACD, Stereo CD and Multichannel SACD tracks.
    The Japan-only SACD description says it won't play in standard CD players. So that appears to be a Single Layer (not Hybrid layer) SACD disc.

PhantomStranger and Linger63 like this.
  5. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Holy reissues! I have pre-ordered the Analogue Productions SACD and U.S. Blu-Ray disc, but I may go with the Japanese releases since they could have better packaging than Sony's U.S. releases. Hmm...

6. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

tedhead likes this.
  7. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Amazon just sent me an email telling me my SACD order has been cancelled. After two years it has finally been put out of it's misery. *sniffle*

Jerquee likes this.
  8. Jerquee

Jerquee Take this, brother, may it serve you well.

Me too.

9. tedhead

tedhead Forum Resident

Same here. I've been wracking my brain as to which format to get, but I think I will go ahead with the SACD from AP. If someone can tell me a good reason why not, I'm all ears because I really can go with either format.

10. Riccardo2

Riccardo2 Forum Resident

Or both :D

11. Luckless Pedestrian

Luckless Pedestrian Forum Resident

I suppose as part of a marketing 'blitz' for this re-issue, a couple of new videos have been posted on RW's facebook page in which he: briefly discusses each song on Amused To Death (origin, meaning, etc); tells a long and irreverent joke; drops F-bombs; pontificates on unmentionable subjects.

JediJoker likes this.
  12. JimW

JimW In the Process of Becoming

I've read posts of folks who got the cancellation notice from amazon and complained to cust serv and were given the option of getting the BR for the same price they had for the sacd pre-order.

13. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Well...if, as it appears, everything was done in PCM and the 2.0 and 5.1 are just converted from PCM to DSD for the SACD then (all things being equal) the Blu-Ray is probably the "better" source and is cheaper.

In theory anyway. And all things being equal...

Hymie the Robot and Hattipper like this.
  14. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Simple, straight forward reasoning has no place on this forum. Are you trying to start an argument or what? How dare you!:D

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...-player-duo-converts-to-dsd-my-review.370011/

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...-hi-res-reissues-thread-part-2.432219/page-37

...our friendly forum member Majestyk has a different take than the simplistic view also...(keep in mind the 2015 Rush vinyl is sourced from the digital files).

"better" is in the ear of the beholder.

I am in for the bluray!

15. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Simple straightforward reasoning is not something I generally associate with me...

16. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Once in a while it comes in handy!

17. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

Then this would be true of all digital mixes ever created, that a PCM version is "better." There is not, never has been, and probably never will be any software or hardware that can manipulate DSD natively, so all digital mixing of DSD has to be done via conversion to PCM (and then back to DSD, of course). This is how the most popular DSD DAW, the Sonoma system, works. As far as I know, James Guthrie has always used and is still using Sonoma to mix in 5.1. Who's to say that the Blu-ray will be "better" than the SACD, then? (Well, technically, digital signal theory tells us that PCM will be factually better, i.e. more accurate, than DSD, but that only gets us so far, right?)

18. Rockstar2112

Rockstar2112 Forum Resident

Unfortunately the Japan sacd based on Blu Spec CD2 technology is now listed at CDJapan as "Release Postponed" so maybe it will someday be released but somehow I doubt it. Too bad, I was really looking forward to comparing the AP version with the Japan edition.

19. tedhead

tedhead Forum Resident

Yes, that happened to me too. I'm considering doing the same, but the more I think about it the more I want the SACD.

20. beatlesfan68

beatlesfan68 Forum Resident

I just received an email from Acoustic Sounds. My SACD is en route via Fed Ex.

:goodie:

21. Randy0223

Randy0223 Well-Known Member

I’m new to “Hi-Res” digital audio and plan to purchase the recent Roger Waters Amused to Death remaster. I should add that my system is dedicated 2-channel stereo. I don’t own any SACDs but recently purchase an Oppo 105D and thought this would be a good first purchase for evaluating this format. But it isn’t clear to me what I would be buying.

Acoustic Sounds lists numerous choices including Vinyl, PCM downloads, DSD downloads, Blu-Ray Audio + CD, Hybrid Multichannel SACD, and CD.

I copied the following from a Wikipedia sourced description of Hybrid SACD
    "Hybrid: Hybrid SACDs are encoded with a 4.7 GB DSD layer (also known as the HD layer), as well as a PCM (Red Book) audio layer readable by most conventional Compact Disc players."

The Acoustic Sounds for its Hybrid SACD of the Amused to Death is:
    "The 2015 SACD edition of Amused to Death features a new 5.1 surround remix of the album completed by longtime Roger Waters / Pink Floyd collaborator and co-producer, James Guthrie."

So, it seems clear that the DSD or HD layer of this Hybrid SACD disc is a 5.1 surround remix. But given my 2-channel stereo needs, I’m most interested in the format of the 2-channel audio layer. Based on this Wikipedia entry it would seem this second layer is not 2-channel DSD but instead Red Book (i.e., “CD Quality”) PCM. Can anyone provide insight as to what’s going on? If the second layer is Red Book PCM, I’ll probably end up downloading either the DSD single rate or the PCM 96/24.

This is all rather confusing.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can shed some light.

22. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

Elusive discs describes SACD as Hybrid Multichannel and Stereo.

23. Randy0223

Randy0223 Well-Known Member

Thanks formu-la for responding to my post/questions. Probably a function of my low knowledge base, but I remain unclear as to the nature of the Roger Waters Hybrid Multichannel SACD. My understanding is such SACDs have two layers. I'm assuming layer containing the 5.1 surround sound is DSD (if this makes any sense??? Maybe the 5.1 layer is not DSD???) I understand that the second layer is Stereo. What I don't understand is the nature of this Stereo layer. Is it 2-channel DSD or is it Red Book-CD PCM (i.e., “Standard CD Quality”)?.

I've tried researching this question but various discussions on the subject only deepen my confusion. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help lift the fog.

24. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

What that means is that you can listen to it three different ways:
    1. Redbook Stereo
    2. SACD Stereo
    3. SACD multi-channel 5.1

25. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

I know what that means. Thanks. I replied to another member.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.