Your favorite "Rolling Stones" single? (1971-1989 edition) (Poll)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JohnnyQuest, Jul 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident Thread Starter

Finally something we both can agree on. :uhhuh:

Jack Flash likes this.
  2. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

Mine was Fool to Cry.

Fullbug and MRamble like this.
  3. ash1

ash1 Forum Resident

ouchy

Fullbug likes this.
  4. Licorice pizza

Licorice pizza Livin’ On The Fault Line

Indian Girl
    Black Limousine

Fullbug likes this.
  5. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I don't think those were singles.

Sean and JohnnyQuest like this.
  6. 3rd Uncle Bob

3rd Uncle Bob Forum Resident

Wild Horses over that Faces' song.

Fullbug likes this.
  7. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

Difficult, but is pushed it has to be Brown Sugar.

Fullbug likes this.
  8. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

Those songs are the result of genius.
    They are absolutely amazing.
    I picked Brown Sugar, which sounds like a Keith composition, but the music was apparently written by Jagger. They were truly twins back then.

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  9. Tero

Tero Forum Resident

I had to vote Under Cover. It was a crap album so I just bought the single. Brown Sugar to me is more an album cut as I did in fact tape the whole LP from a friend.

I only ever had 3 Stones singles. But I did get the Klein CD singles for nostalgia.

My first experience with a Stones single was when a girl brought Satisfaction to school in the 60s. Teacher hated it, pulled the needle off and had to buy the girl a new 45 as he ruined it.

Fullbug likes this.
  10. Dave Hoos

Dave Hoos Nothing is revealed

With the exception of "Honky Tonk Women"...and that was immediately after Brian.

From this list, it's a fairly easy choice. I've gone for "Tumbling Dice" over "Brown Sugar". After '72, the standard drops a little bit. After "Start Me Up", the standard drops alarmingly.

11. JDeanB

JDeanB Senior Member

It came down to Tumblin' Dice and Angie for me...so I went with Annnnnnn-jayy

12. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Waiting On A Friend.

I can understand any single to promote a compilation (like Metamorphosis) being offered for the 'others' option, but some important singles are missing here:

Going To A Gogo (live)
    Time Is On My Side (live)
    She Was Hot
    Too Much Blood

bonus and John Grimes like this.
  13. douglas mcclenaghan

douglas mcclenaghan Forum Resident

Brown Sugar for me. I agree that the standard drops. Once Mick Taylor is gone it's pretty much downhill. His contribution to the band's sound was incalculable. Yes, he is much admired but I still think he is underrated. Everyone raves about Keith, and rightly so, but to me Mick Taylor is right there with him as absolutely integral to the classic Stones' sound.

Dave Hoos and John Fell like this.
  14. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

Some good songs, especially early in the list. But Start Me Up is an easy choice for me (and, so far, for no one else).

John-Adam likes this.
  15. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

As a single, it's Brown Sugar by a mile. One of the best singles of the era. Keith's rhythm guitar playing is sublime. Bobby's sax is the icing on the cake.

It's amazing that they had a basically finished recording, then sat on it for more than a year before putting it out. Brown Sugar/Wild Horses could have been a killer standalone single in spring 1970.

bonus and joethomas1 like this.
  16. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

I have no idea which of these is my favorite song, but, as a 'single', a song to listen to in isolation, I voted for Miss You. The extended dance mix.

TheiPodAvenger likes this.
  17. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Star Star, Respectable, Little T & A, and If I Was A Dancer (Dance Part 2) are also not included.

Sweet Black Angel and Dance Little Sister were issued as singles in France.

I'm not sure if any of these would get votes or not.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  18. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

By that point they owned Decca one more single and, if I'm correct, 7 albums (which we know included Ya-Ya's and several compilations). With the Klein dispute following shortly after the recording I think they knew they struck upon gold with Brown Sugar and decided to hold it back because they didn't want Klein to have complete copyright ownership of it. Instead they decided to flip the bird to Decca with CS Blues (which was, ofcourse, refused -instead Decca re-released Street Fighting Man-) and use Brown Sugar as the lead-off single for the first album on their newly founded Rolling Stones Records label, Sticky Fingers. Allen Klein still has dual copyright ownership over Brown Sugar and Wild Horses, though.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
    bonus likes this.
  19. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

That is such a mammoth run of incredible singles that it was hard to pick one, but I wound up choosing "Miss You". While I know that a lot of people derided The Stones for going disco at the time, I think the song is one of the more evocative and emotional pleas of loneliness I can think of in a pop/rock record. Usually I have to go to soul/R&B records for something as nakedly emotional as "Miss You", but at the same time Jagger infuses it with something a little seedier than those songs ("We're coming 'round at 12 with some girls who're just dying to meet you!"). It tells a complete story and really just feels unique to me within The Stones catalog.

I also want to give an honorary mention to "One Hit (To The Body)", which isn't a great all around song but has one of the most compelling intros in the entire Stones catalog.

bonus and TheiPodAvenger like this.
  20. "If I Was A Dancer (Dance II)" Yeah, you heard me.

ohnothimagen and bonus like this.
  21. joethomas1

joethomas1 Forum Resident

"Brown Sugar" - Love the riff & the guitar tone of both guitarists

22. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

You Can't Always Get What You Want

23. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

The poll is missing a few:

Sympathy for the Devil [OK, in the other poll]
    Dance Little Sister

I didn't know that Bitch wasn't issued as a single. That got played a lot in Pgh when the album came out.

24. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

Since it says "favorite" and not "best" my vote went to "Shattered".

25. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

She's tired of living
    It's easy to do....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.