McIntosh 6100 vs. NAD326bee

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Troyh, Jul 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Troyh

Troyh Forum Resident Thread Starter

I currently am running the NAD with B&W 805 speakers. (NAD is about 2 years old.)
    Long story short, I am going to audition, with my speakers, the McIntosh. I listen mainly to vinyl.
    Thoughts? Lateral move or up the audio ladder?

2. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

The Mac would be fun to own, but the NAD mich me clearer and have tighter bass depending upon the condition of the Mac. If in good shape it will be no slouch.

3. Troyh

Thanks for the input Jim. The 6100 is in excellent condition. (I presume you meant that the NAD would be much more clearer?)

4. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

I've never met a McIntosh I didn't like. There ya go, you know my vote.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  5. new world man

new world man Member

I hear that the NAD was a very good budget level amp but, at least one review said that it would quickly come unstuck with better quality gear. This I think was What Hi Fi. Given that the 805s are I think around the 86-89db mark, I'd be very inclined to give them something meatier.

If you wanted to stay with NAD as a brand, then seek out their C370 or C372 amps, both must be getting on for at least a decade old but both enjoyed great reviews and, more crucially, deliver better and more ample power to your speakers than the 50w 326 will give.

The C370 has a ridiculous Damping Factor of 150 (150...?!?) and 120w a side into 8ohms. Details here:-

http://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/nad/c370.shtml

The C372 offers up 150w a side, the same insane damping factor and the blurb's here:-

http://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/nad/c372.shtml

Both come, naturally, in the same fetching battleship grey NAD is famous for and will drive those B&Ws with ease.

6. McLover

McLover Senior Member

The McIntosh is way better built, more reliable, and better sound than the NAD. And will far outlast one. Even if it's not the best McIntosh ever built.

7. Troyh

Thanks Utahusker and New World. IIRC, the 6100 does have some more 'meat' on the bone. With the Yaqin phono stage with the 326, I'm turning up to about 10 to 11 o'clock to get any kind of volume.
    I've an old McIntosh that needs a lot of repair. (Picked it up years ago and it has set at my dad's in Virginia...basically it is just a chassis with wires...) The 6100 is in excellent shape and he wants $575 for it, with cabinet and manuals.

8. McLover

McLover Senior Member

A decent buy. Make sure everything operates as it should be.

9. Troyh

Mc-Thanks! I know it is not a 'steal' but seems like a good deal(?)
    Silly question, but do you mean all the controls, etc.? Anything special I should look for (problem wise)?

10. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

It could be, but many are not seeking absolute clarity, but musicality, the flesh and blood of a performance within the recording. I also hope to own a piece of vintage McIntosh gear one day before I kick. Keep us informed as to your impressions and preferences of one over the other.

I might equate it to one's love of vinyl. I have 3 turntables, but I will readily admit I own some awful sounding vinyl bought years ago when it was THE format, but have recently bought some new, excellent sounding vinyl. It is too bad that much of the great new vinyl is $30 or more, but it is what it is. Quality costs money. I have some new $20 LPs that sounds excellent.

I'm betting you will love the Mac.

new world man likes this.
  11. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Make sure both channels function and hum is low. All controls and switches operate quietly and correctly. And that volume tracks correctly on both channels at low volumes. And that cosmetic condition is fine. McIntosh is so fine, both my systems are powered by McIntosh. I own a MA 5100 integrated amplifier, a MC 2505-2 power amplifier, and a MX 114 tuner/preamplifier. And I use them daily.

12. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

13. McLover

McLover Senior Member

And that website gets you Tom Manley, who is a superb person to deal with for buying McIntosh online. All his McIntosh is serviced by his friend and partner, Terry DeWick who is one of the two finest servicers of vintage McIntosh gear. Both are friends of mine, I live less than one hour's drive from them.

14. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I used a vintage McIntosh amp (MC2505-2) with Matrix 805's and thought it was a pretty good combination. It's all a personal preference/YMMV thing though. Both will do some things well and each will do some things better then the other one.

McLover likes this.
  15. Troyh

Thanks all.
    I will report back, but I'm really leaning toward doing the deal. It would mean that the NAD would go up for sale....you know how it is! :)

16. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

The NAD C 325 was my first audiophile type amp and to me (I also bought a 326 BEE when it came out) struck me as the most lovable piece of HiFi with NAD written on it. It bettered a YAMAHA AS 700 and even the C 355 BEE, which had more power but less from that clear, palpable sounding C 326BEE. I don't know that Mac amp but if it is a very old model I am afraif it will be better in some ways but less brillian in other aspects.
    If you want an affordable amp, that covers all bases look out for Musical fidelity and the now out of production M3i. That amp really sounds clear and dynamic, authentic and simply loveable.
    From the initial price of 1500 dollars it was sold for under 1 grand, when the new M3Si was introduced. Used amps should be available for 650 or 750 dollar and worth every penny twice !

17. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

-------------------
    When I get ready that is who I will buy from and drive up their from Atlanta and seal the deal...on my bucket list for sure.

McLover likes this.
  18. McLover

McLover Senior Member

When you do, start a conversation and arrange a meetup. I am not out of your way. I like meeting forum members.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.