Franklin Mint Vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BayouTiger, Oct 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident Thread Starter

Awhile back the local Second and Charles had a bunch of Franklin Mint box sets that were unopened and selling for less than $10. At first I was leery, but bought a few of them and every time I listen I am amazed at the quality of the recordings and how quiet the vinyl is. I saw a Post where SH mentioned that he found the brown vinyl they used to be amazingly quiet and I am just wondering if all of the Franklin Mint's stuff is this good?

The ones I got are a couple from the Country Collection, and a couple Classical. In some cases I had original vinyl of some of the tracks, but never even close to this. I rate then as some of the best vinyl I own.

2. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

They are beautifully produced and manufactured records of often very good music with, for some reason, near-zero commercial value.

3. chris8519

chris8519 Forum Resident

I have a Louis Armstrong collection that was impressively pressed. Silent, clear, cool colored vinyl.

Think I bought it for $2!

If you see it, buy it. They're great sets. B+ quality for F- budget! :)

4. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident Thread Starter

That's what I am finding. I listened to the classical ones I have last night and they are really nice.

5. Sam

Sam Senior Member

I have the Strauss Tone Poems from Franklin Mint, records 15 and 16. The Also Sprach Zarathustra recording is from RCA Reiner's 1954 recording. Isn't this the same one that commands big money on the Red label? The one that is lauded for it's outstanding sound? It sounds great here, and I need to know if this is taken from the same master tape that the red label came from.

6. Sam

Sam Senior Member

So no one has a clue to my question?

7. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

Unless we worked at RCA or Franklin Mint, how would we know what master was used?

8. Sam

Sam Senior Member

Someone knows. Someone ALWAYS knows. That's the beauty of this site. Stick around, you may learn something.

9. Farmer Mike

Farmer Mike Forum Resident

I saw a couple of the country sets at an estate sale a couple of weeks ago, but they had got wet at some point,were a total mess and I didn't bother to open them up. I looked them up on Discogs and saw that Franklin Mint put out some great looking jazz sets. I will be on the look out for them from now on.
    http://www.discogs.com/label/200545-The-Franklin-Mint-Record-Society

10. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

Wow, I pass these up all the time at garage sales. Not anymore. :)

11. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

Yes it is the same recording, not certain what tape was used. I have the whole set of 50 albums. Amazing quality. The Columbia sourced records are a revelation, after years of bad mastering and pressing of their classical catalog.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
  12. Sam

Sam Senior Member

Thank you for your reply. It has been awhile since I asked the question. Now, has anyone compared the the two?

13. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

I have a box of red vinyl FM Classical but haven't got around to listening yet. There are about 10 slipcases IIRC with multiple LP's. Thanks to this thread I'll be getting them out soon.

14. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

I haven't the original Living Stereo, but have the Classic reissue, but I haven't directly compared them. I will soon and report back.

15. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

I have a few sets of jazz & country stuff , they sound really good & got em for like $5 a set sealed from an online Library sale .

16. Arkay_East

Arkay_East Forum Resident

Wow ... Looks like some nice jazz ... A Johnny Cash set?!? I will def look for these thanks for the tip!

17. Sam

Sam Senior Member

Don't bother. The classic reissue is not good. This is known. They dropped the ball on that one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.