Flying Saucer Attack is back!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by marigoldilemma, Jul 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marigoldilemma

marigoldilemma Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. Brudy

Brudy Senior Member

Hell yeah! That's awesome news. Thanks for pointing this one out.

3. fitzrik

fitzrik Forum Resident

Wonderful news! Thanks for letting us know.

It always surprises me that they are not well remembered/don't get much love these days!

keep vinyl alive

4. fitzrik

fitzrik Forum Resident

Incidentally, $25 OR £25 which is $38.38

We in Europe are continually ripped off!!

5. Seederman

Seederman Forum Resident

I had always wondered what happened to them?/him? Periodically, I would just mutter to myself "hmmm, haven't been any albums in a long time..."

Glad to see he?/they? is?/are? back.

6. marigoldilemma

Yes, I noticed that large disparity. I also noticed that Domino is apparently going to reissue FSA on vinyl. Hopefully Drag City distributes in the USA.

fitzrik likes this.
  7. Brudy

Brudy Senior Member

I'm moving in a few weeks or else I'd preorder. Gonna grab it as soon as I can locally I hope. I'm playing "Distance" right now :)

8. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

9. Spiritual Architect

Spiritual Architect Well-Known Member

Never heard then but I don't like them. Every time I type "Flying Saucer" into Youtube, I do not get info on flying saucers, I get their darn videos! :-plnktn-:

10. Jerry James

Jerry James Rorum Fesident

Wonderful news! I really enjoyed their first 2 Lp's and the singles. I remember being pleasantly dumbfounded when hearing their cover of the then-nearly-brand-new Suede song "The Drowners". I will gladly pick up the new LP :)

fitzrik likes this.
  11. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Well.... that whole Bristol scene seemingly faded away. This spring I dug out albums by Movietone, Third Eye Foundation and FLA that I hadn't listened to in ages. A lot of this stuff is on Domino Records that always had great taste. There was a lot of like minded music around in the late 90's, Hood (also on Domino but from Leeds), several albums on the US Kranky label. Then The Strokes came along;)

Revisiting these albums I was surprised how good they are, stuff like "The Blossom Filled Streets" by Movietone. FLA always stood out with their weird anti-CD messages on the covers (Big Black did that too:)) and their low-fi sound.

12. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I don't think Matt Elliott has ever stopped making and releasing music, plus when we get around to it there should be something new plus an extensive reissue campaign from Foehn on Bristol Archive Records, I've been talking about it with Debs for over a year, it's just things move slowly in Bristol.:cool:

For anyone who has a vinyl copy of "Insideout Eyes" with a handmade sleeve Debs is already talking about doing some for whatever we release, I'm not sure how we will do it, but something to look forward to.

13. Trevor_Bartram

Trevor_Bartram Senior Member

It's streaming from NPR this week, listened to it yesterday!

14. BeardedSteven

BeardedSteven Forum Resident

Been eagerly awaiting this since hearing about it. I was a huge huge fan since the early singles. I can't wait to get my hands on this one.

I hope they do bring back the catalog on vinyl! I have the 1st one(2 versions) and Distance but the rest of my LPs got dumped when I sold most of my stuff. Would love to get them back.

15. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

Great band worth a listen.

16. cc--

cc-- Forum Resident

all instrumental -- interesting. Were any of their previous records all instrumental? I think I've only heard one of their albums.

17. marigoldilemma

No, all previous albums had vocals, although there are quite a few instrumentals in the back catalogue.

IMO, the s/t album ("rural psychedelia"), Distance (largely made up of singles, but a couple new songs), Further, and Chorus (another singles comp with some new songs) are essential. There are some essential singles, too: Outdoor Miner and Sally Free and Easy.

cc-- likes this.
  18. cc--

cc-- Forum Resident

it's "rural psychedelia" that I know. Great stuff. Not altogether surprising that the new record would eschew vocals, but still an intriguing decision.

19. marigoldilemma

Having listened to the NPR stream as I await the 2xLP, my first thought is that this would make a very good late night album. Lots of space to let the listener find their way into the landscape. Very brief touches of the old FSA wall of distortion, witb almost (if not) zero percussion, which gives the songs an unstructured feel and sense of timelessness. A very nice album.

Let's see what other surprises Mr Pearce has up his sleeve. I am hoping for a single next, with all new songs.

20. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

21. marigoldilemma

AlienRendel likes this.
  22. BeardedSteven

It looks like March 18 for LP reissues for Further and Chorus on Drag City.

http://fsa.space

23. marigoldilemma

Nice. Good find.

BeardedSteven likes this.
  24. BeardedSteven

25. marigoldilemma

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.