Outer ring record clamps (non-VPI)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Brian Gupton, Apr 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

No, that should probably be my first move, huh? I suspect mine is slightly fast. I know there are various strobe discs and contraptions, what's the preferred way to measure one's speed without spending too much money that could be used to correct the problem?

2. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I believe in addition to the purely objective results of flattening a warped record, there's added benefit in fully coupling the record to the platter. So a before and after listen on a perfectly flat record might be the best test.

3. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Free app or one that costs a buck. There is a thread on it. It ruined all my fun, i was blissfully ignorant.

Michael Ries likes this.
  4. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

Good point, I didnt think of that. Im pondering the benefits of a ring such as being discussed, versus a simple unwarped pressing.

5. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Oh, right, it's 2015, obviously we do ______ with smartphones now!

Dennis0675 likes this.
  6. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Yeah, same here. If all it did was flatten unplayable warped records, I'm sure I could replace every warped record I own with a NM version for what the ring costs!

7. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

What rolltide said...coupling the record to the platter. I used the ring for flat records too with good results. Flattening the record is also a benefit, but for most records the improved sonic results are paramount. I don't think I will play a record without the ring and weight.

Rolltide and Dennis0675 like this.
  8. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Well-Known Member

How is it that a company that gets such glowing reviews of their products seems to have so many issues. Especially at this price level. Quality control really is lacking. Make it right before it goes out the door and your not ticking off a relatively small market share that wants a quality product. Is your table one of the newer ones with the mini sds built into the power brick?

After I received the replacement plinth for the one they incorrectly mounted the tonearm I guess I need to check the speed on it after reading this.

9. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I love it and would gladly buy it again. Ultimately it was designed to be used with the power unit and the outer clamp. They offer it without those components so people with limited resources can get in and grow into the accessories. It is truly a world class product and comes at a serious investment.

It is my third table in two years and it will not be replaced until it wears out.

Rolltide likes this.
  10. Upinsmoke

A turntable at that price should be rock solid at 33.3 rpm. Not needing extra components to the toon of $2,000 just to maintain a 33.3 speed. Or put a disclaimer out "hey! Our table will not be accurate at 33.3 unless you buy this and that"

VPI does quite have quite a profit generating scheme with all the accessories they sell.

latheofheaven likes this.
  11. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

What percentage of turntables are you assuming come out of the box running at 33.3 on the nose?

12. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I honestly hope they are earning a fortune, they deserve it. Most belt drives don't run dead on 33.3. That is the trade off for the improved motor isolation. In the Turntable speed thread most (if not all) Regas up to RP8 were running 33.7 and 33.8. Any quality belt driven manufacturer offers a speed control box, it is just fact. I understand why people like direct drive and I guess that is why VPI's best table is direct drive and costs $30,000. I had a direct drive table that was dead on 33.3 and it didn't make me happy.

13. Upinsmoke

So was my $600 technics . dead on at 33.3 Some mods from kab really had it singing too!

So the pitch being off cause the speed is not accurate is worth the motor isolation? Does not compute.

latheofheaven likes this.
  14. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Found a good app, looks like I average 33.2. Not sure how I feel about throwing a big wad of cash at a tenth of an RPM.

15. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

no, no. It was a free app and you just but your phone on the platter. On Android it is RPM calculator. I am guessing you are an iPhone guy. It cost a $1 on apple and is called turntabulator. I was unhappy with the results so I used both. exact same results.

16. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Yeah, I deleted my post after I realized I'm a grown up and can find these answers. I have a Nexus 6 actually, and used that same app. I wish they'd sprung for the extra 7 or so lines of code to have an average feature that calculates it after 10 spins or so, but it seems I ranged from 33.1-33.3, with 33.2 being the average. Given the margin of error of measuring speed by setting a smartphone down on the platter, I'd say its quite possible my table is dead on.

Tullman and Dennis0675 like this.
  17. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

nice! a tighter belt and a little oil for the motor and you should be dead on, not that .1 makes that much of a difference. Looks like that is a green light for the outer clamp! Everybody has different electric, it's not VPI's fault. (last sentence in reply to another post)

18. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I've been thinking about oiling it. I've had it for about a year and bought it used, so no telling when the last time it had anything done.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  19. dogpile

dogpile Generation X record spinner.

I have several warped records in my collection and a few of them are worth quite a bit.

A periphery ring (right there) justifies the asking price.

Tullman likes this.
  20. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Yes, oil it. You must remove the flywheel and brass ring with an allen wrench, put a few drops of 40 weight oil around the shaft the will seep down into the motor.

21. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

VPI didn't get my money for the outer ring and center weight.

You can get a new SDS for about a thousand and that is a far cry from $2000. The ring doesn't help with speed control. I look at the SDS as an improved power supply for my Classc 1 that can control the speed of the TT. The very expensive TT's probably all have speed controls. One thing I have learned is that power supplies can really make a difference.

I believe VPI made the Classic to be affordable, so we're not getting SME quality all around.

VPI could have included the SDS, but then it would be much more expensive and many of us including me would not have been able to afford it. I can't afford an SME TT that does come standard with an outboard power supply and costs $13,000 without the arm. I appreciate that I can upgrade my TT with an out board power supply, a heavy center weight and outer ring. I also have a great platter that is 20 pounds of solid aluminum. Many of the very expensive TT's have heavy platters and a way of coupling the record to the platter. After hearing the results of coupling the record to the platter I really get what the very expensive TT's are striving for. So, for a total of $5,000. we can get close to the performance of TT's that cost tens of thousands more than the Classic 1. Read the Absolute Sound or Analog Planet review of the Classic TT.

gklainer, Dennis0675 and Rolltide like this.
  22. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Yes, Rolltide could get the ring and keep the warped records which would all play flat. The ring would pay for itself.

23. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Actually, depending on the design and the weight and such a peripheral clamping ring, besides doing its primary jobs of coupling the record to the platter mat and terminating vibrations, can also potentially help with speed stability by improving I guess what you'd call a flywheel effect (in addition to the other added benefit of flattening warps).

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
    Tullman likes this.
  24. gklainer

gklainer Forum Resident

I have the SDS controller and the label weight with outer ring clamp. I agree with Tullman on the improvement with the label weight and periphery clamp combo. The SDS controller is nice but if I could only choose one it would be the weight / outer clamp combo as it made more of a difference in my setup.

Dennis0675 and Rolltide like this.
  25. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Well..If one is having electronic noise or speed issues with the Classic, I would opt first for the SDS. However, I would agree that you would get more sonic benefits with the ring and center weight. Again, the classic 1's full potential cannot be realized with just one or the other.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.