Anyone remember That's Hollywood?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Dr. Pepper, Jul 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry? Thread Starter

Do you remember this series narrated by Tom Bosley from Happy Days.

guppy270 likes this.
  2. Commander Lucius Emery

Commander Lucius Emery Forum Resident

3. sparkydog

sparkydog Forum Resident

No.

chilinvilin likes this.
  4. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

Yes, I remember it.

5. antoniod

antoniod Forum Resident

Yes. I was always disappointed by the episodes' focus on new 20th films at the expense of vintage ones. We'd get 10 seconds of a rarity like MUSIC IN THE AIR, then a long chunk of STAR WARS. But at least it wasn't like earlier Fox specials on It's history, which used watermarked prints and B/W prints of Technicolor films(I remember one hosted by Joe Nameth).

6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yes, I worked on some episodes with producer Jack Haley, Jr. around 1980-1981. He was a very nice man, and told me some stories about how because he'd worked on That's Entertainment for MGM, he was able to promote that into doing this syndicated TV show of nothing but clips from classic old movies. It was basically anything they could get the rights to, mostly from 16mm. It was predominantly Fox (since Fox owned the show), but they'd license clips from other studios on occasion.

Haley was really, really well prepared and I was always floored at how quickly we could move through the sessions because he knew exactly which segments we needed to pull and how to put them together. Very engaging, funny man, super-knowledgeable about film history.

moogt3, Vahan and chilinvilin like this.
  7. quicksilverbudie

quicksilverbudie quicksilverbudie

8. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident

Yes I watched this show back in the day. It was always cool to see Star Wars clips. I wish I had some episodes of the show in good quality.

chilinvilin likes this.
  9. Dr. Pepper

You really need to write a book or two.

10. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Yes, I remember the show, and was going to say that it was probably much tougher to get good-looking source material in the early 80s than it is today.

11. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

All Haley could do was have a film editor sit in a room all day with a stopwatch and figure out that if they needed a clip from a movie, it would be X minutes and Y seconds from the start of a certain reel. They'd spool it down on an edit bench, find the spot, and then put a piece of paper in as a cue. They'd later bring a whole stack of reels in to me and the guy would manually wind to the spot on a rewind bench and have them cued before I needed to put them up on the scanner. Where Haley was very smart is that he figured out in past sessions that his company had to pay for "winding time" if it was on the machine. If his own guy wound the film on a bench while we were color correcting, he didn't have to pay for the time.

Nowadays... it's all digital files and this stuff is a lot easier. Film was hard, especially those ratty 16mm TV syndication prints. They had to just take whatever the studio would send them.

Dan Kennedy and Vahan like this.
  12. Dr. Pepper

I loved the opening especially the Star wars clips because back then it was the only way to see any Star Wars film unless it was in the theater at the time.

13. Dr. Pepper

14. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

I would love to see this show again. I'm surprised they haven't run it on, say, Fox Movie Channel. Or have they?

15. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

o' yes...was a fan back then. It was excellent!

16. Michael

love a DVD box set!

17. Michael

as usual great trivia!

18. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I don't think they could ever clear the rights. An average show literally had excerpts from 35-40 feature films, so lining all that up for home video, paying SAG actors, WGA writers, DGA directors, plus clearing all the music... it'd be monstrously expensive.

19. Michael

yes It figures another show lost...

20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

But I think they could "theoretically" syndicate the show to TV and cable. Just not home video. It looks pretty crude, though, being all done on standard-def video in the late-1970s/1980s.

21. Michael

yes, but I still would still enjoy the show...

moogt3 and SonOfAlerik like this.
  22. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

Those were the days when it was actually really cool to get to see clips from a movie on your TV, in your own home. At least, that's how I remember it. I even occasionally name-check this show in conversations, e.g. "Well, as Tom Bosley used to say, that's Hollywood." Blank stares usually follow...

23. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

24. Texastoyz

Texastoyz Forum Resident

If it was, it was way before their current model now of showing slightly older popular films with commercials past 3 pm until sometime very late night. They used to show quite a bit of interesting things before they went commercial a couple of years ago.

25. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

:righton: It's funny how exciting it was to see those short snippets back then since nowadays you can see anything you want (pretty much) by typing a few commands into a computer! :)

Sidebar: I owned a Super 8 reel of "Star Wars" scenes back in 1978. It had the scene where Ben and Luke first talked and the one where the Falcon fights off the TIE Fighters after the Death Star escape.

It was awesome to be able to watch "Star Wars" at home back then, even if it was just 10 minutes or so of it!

Dr. Pepper likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.