POLL: Best Backup Singing on a Beatles Song

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Muddy, Jul 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

I'm going with Because based on the remix from Beatles Love

2. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

3. Muddy

Muddy Large Member Thread Starter

Personally, I don't think much of the backups here (it's really just McCartney singing a high harmony,) but that should definitely be a contender in the "Best Bass Line on a Beatles Song" thread. ;)

telepicker97 likes this.
  4. buzzzx

buzzzx Forum Resident

Pretty sure "Because" is a glorious nine-part harmony. Not sure if that backing or not. Whatever, it is stunning.

5. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

I don´t know why, but I always found "Tell me Why" rather charming. "Nowhere Man" and "Because" are also very beautiful. ("Nowhere Man" is a contender for my favourite Beatles song. Not really a fan, but boy, could they write songs!)

DK Pete likes this.
  6. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I'm with you on this, Spiritual..the vocals themselves, the way they're recorded..downright enveloping on the remixed Anthology version when the complete final take comes in following Paul's guide vocal section. If I had to pick a number 2, I'd probably go with either Rain or And Your Bird Can Sing...but HTAE definitely takes top spot.

Spiritual Architect likes this.
  7. broccolid

broccolid Trickologist

"Because" and "You Never Give Me Your Money"

8. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Nowhere Man is in my top 1o favorites, for sure. And just to add a wrench into the works, has anyone else ever thought that during the main verses ONLY, John was doing all the vocals on his own..?? Not during the "la, la" portions or that high Paul harmony at the end...but during the MAIN VERSES....I realize that from a technical standpoint it cannot be John unless he tracked himself half a dozen times over...but over the years, this has become the only Beatle track in which I cannot pinpoint the voices of Paul and George during the verses...all I hear is John.

Jarleboy likes this.
  9. Muddy

Interesting!

I hear what you mean. Still, I'm pretty sure the high harmony on there is sung by Paul (though I think it's in John's range), also, I think I hear George on the "Isn't he a bit like you and me" line. At the same time, it's likely that John did multitrack his vocal on the verses.

DK Pete and Jarleboy like this.
  10. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

LOL...miracles DO happen!! You're the first and only person I've come across who even remotely MIGHT agree with me.

Muddy likes this.
  11. So many "Other" others but I have to be honest "Because" is the first one that came to mind as well...

Chris from Chicago likes this.
  12. Muddy

I lurve "Because," but I don't think it qualifies for this category, to be honest.

I don't hear any true backup singing on it. It's a straight, tight (though absolutely stunning) harmony piece.

linclink likes this.
  13. majoyenrac

majoyenrac Forum Resident

You're going to lose that girl for me

It's the quintessential early transition to middle Beatles song, but yet is only known to the devoted fan (not really known off the record)....

But that song screams Beatles, yet is a real highlight

...its kind of like the Beatles version of U2's "red hill mining town"--which is my favorite Joshua tree song, in that the song just screams all that is good about the band's style but yet never makes a comp, or the radio...

Muddy and She is anyway like this.
  14. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

You Won't See Me

Muddy likes this.
  15. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

You're Gonna Lose That Girl

16. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

Had to go with "Nowhere Man." From The Anthology documentary…

Muddy likes this.
  17. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

I just can't vote. Anytime you have some combination of John/Paul/George singing background, you have magic.

18. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

Off this list "Nowhere Man", but "I Feel Fine" is my fav. LOVE the "ooooo;'s " in the bridge.

19. Spiritual Architect

Spiritual Architect Well-Known Member

Because is a beauty too.

20. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

Oh, there are so many. They were such good harmony singers. From this list, I chose "Nowhere Man", though it's mostly harmony vocals throughout except for the middle bit. My #2 choice might be "With a Little Help from My Friends" - I just love the call-and-response thing they have going here, and while singing them and I really let go, it's so satisfying.

One thing I love about their background vocals is how they go in and out of unison and harmony at just the right times to punctuate the lyric. It's not just mindless parallel 3rds.

(disclaimer: I'm in an occasional Beatles cover band, and we (meaning me, mostly) is very anal about getting the harmonies accurate and right. Their harmonies push a lot of my musical buttons. The other guys tend to give me a funny look when I push this particular agenda.)

Muddy and She is anyway like this.
  21. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

I'm going with other. My favorite backup singing/harmonizing on any Beatles song would be from Dig a Pony: Anthology 3 version. Just stellar.

22. sparkydog

sparkydog Forum Resident

Because.

23. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

In My Life.

Darryl

24. cublowell

cublowell Forum Resident

Definitely not You Won't a See Me...that one could have used another take on another day, I think!

I Feel Fine & I Don't Want to Spoil the Party both have very beautiful backing harmonies used perfectly for my tastes.

25. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

I like the answering vocals on "Devil in Her Heart". Also the harmony on the last line of "Nowhere Man."

Muddy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.