Greatest American Band Ever?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Beet, Jul 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dukes Travels

Dukes Travels Forum Resident

If thats the best, I'm proud to be British :D

Still, America has provided a lot of great individual rock ALBUMS over the years, but there is no one that stands out as the greatest overall as a band. I could take REMs Automatic For The People as readily as Nirvanas Nevermind.

So I'll toss my two headed coin. Heads and its Buddy Holly...

2. musicalbeds

musicalbeds Strange but not a stranger

I see the Beach Boys are leading, with the GD number two. I voted Grateful Dead, because they are far and away American's rock best band ever.
    They represent American music with their eclectic original songs and various covers, ranging from; blues, R&B, disco, folk, various jazz, bluegrass, rock n roll and even some classical. The songwriting team of Jerry Garcia and Robert Hunter wrote some of the most "American" music ever, they were together for years, and they played more concerts than any other American band of note.

Actuarybrad and jamesmaya like this.
  3. Skoegahom

Skoegahom Forum Resident

What? No Ozark Mountain Daredevils?????

Only one band claimed to be an American Band!

4. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

[​IMG]

Wright likes this.
  5. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I'm going with Los Lobos. Extremely versatile band with great songs and players. They were inspired by many on the list and in fact play some of their songs at their concerts. There's no way they will win but that isn't what matters here.
    They need to be mentioned in the same breath as the rest of these artists.

jamesmaya, Merrick and PHILLYQ like this.
  6. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

R.E.M are probably the best band but I probably prefer The Beach Boys

Would vote for The Monkees if they were in the poll

Simon & Garfunkel over all of them but not sure they're a band. Minimum of three members to be called a band?

linclink likes this.
  7. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Tough. My picks would be CCR, CSN&Y, ABB, or Grateful Dead.

8. Werner Berghofer

Werner Berghofer Forum Resident

No offense, but personally I don’t feel exactly good when seeing musicians perform in front of absurd, arbitrary, unnecessary and martial symbols, regardless to which country, religion or cult the piece of cloth belongs.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
    Hall Cat likes this.
  9. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Little Feat gets my vote.

Joey Self and linclink like this.
  10. Baby Driver

Baby Driver Forum Resident

11. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

I take it you're not a fan of The Who?

[​IMG]

They really went all-out with the Union Jack in that period.

Tristero and starduster like this.
  12. Werner Berghofer

Yes, I’m not a fan of “The Who”, but my dislike of nationalist symbols is much greater than my dislike of their music. I think I already said this in my original post.

13. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Got it. Then you'll be pleased to know that the photo documents what is (most likely) the only time the Dead played in front of an American flag. It was at a festival and part of the stage design.

14. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

There are some Brits in the bands listed so that gives me the right to vote for
    THE JIMI HENDRIX EXPERIENCE

highway chile, linclink, Beet and 2 others like this.
  15. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

There's so many....

Here's a few that I think are worthy of the mantle in one way or another. I don't think any of these, hands-down, are the greatest, but they all contributed a lot in different ways:

The Beach Boys
    The Grateful Dead
    KISS
    Cheap Trick
    The Ramones
    Lynyrd Skynyrd
    Metallica
    Slayer
    Death
    Nirvana

16. Kate_C.

Kate_C. abyssus abyssum invocat

"Wave that flag, Wave it wide and high..."

Love it James! An effective means to declare our shared voting preference...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Max, your aversion - if not hostility - toward display of a national flag in this context is purely a subjective import. The Dead were a uniquely American band not only in that they succeeded entirely on their own terms, but also, as recognized by the estimable Jann Werner, were uniquely "conversant [in] all kinds of indigenous American music, including folk, blues, jazz, bluegrass, and rock & roll".

Like every citizen, this Deadhead's thoughts, feelings, actions, tears, and laughter are a thread in the fabric of our national identity; so, the association between my country's flag and the band makes me happy indeed..."nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile".../peace, K

17. Smxx777

Smxx777 Forum Resident

For me:
    The Beach Boys
    Red Hot Chili Peppers
    Mothers Of Invention

Also Grateful Dead, The Doors, Nirvana.

18. Aquatarkus

Aquatarkus Active Member

A country's flag is an absurd symbol? :crazy:

What in the world is wrong with with "nationalist symbols" a.k.a a country's flag?

What the hell is wrong with the world today when a country's flag is considered absurd, arbitrary, and unnecessary?

19. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

Wouldn't call Beach Boys a "band". Vocal group.

highway chile likes this.
  20. HarborRat

HarborRat Forum Resident

Did you seriously think you would not offend anyone with that statement? I think I could effectively refute everyone of the adjectives you used to describe the American flag, but this is not the proper place.

Aquatarkus likes this.
  21. Werner Berghofer

I didn’t specifically describe the American flag, I described my feelings for any flag. I’m very sorry if I didn’t make this clear and unambiguous in my original post. However, do you think you might have even the faintest idea how many creatures have been tortured and killed on behalf of the flag — any flag — in the history of “civilized” humanity?

I would like to add once more explicitly: no offense.

linclink likes this.
  22. HarborRat

HarborRat Forum Resident

I don't think many have been killed by flags, they've been killed by ideologies, more than 100 million by Communism is the 20th century alone. It's not the flag that is evil, it's the ideology.

John Buchanan likes this.
  23. aliasrobert

aliasrobert Forum Resident

The Band are the best ever American group.

linclink likes this.
  24. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

[​IMG]

My vote for Best American Band :)

buzzzx, devlin and Beet like this.
  25. Aquatarkus

Aquatarkus Active Member

Not only that. We can't generalize all flags and say they all represent evil, crimes against humanity, and deaths in vain and that all of these were done on behalf of all country's flags. We can't view the Nazi flag the same as the U.S. Flag. We just can't.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.