New Music?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bolero, Jul 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

I'm glad you enjoy the aroma of your own flatulence.

LivingForever, scotth, ARK and 5 others like this.
  2. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

It ain't 1918 !

3. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

It you gave up on most music in 1985....how would would you know you were right then?

scotth, ARK, e.s. and 7 others like this.
  4. Beet

Beet Forum Resident

Electronic music is likely the new frontier in music (Think Jazz --> Rock --> Hip Hop --> Electronic. Not that each one caused the next, but they were the biggest genres in popular music in the 20th centuries until now). I despise electronic music. I appreciate efforts by artists who try to play old school music, keeping the older genres alive. I.e.- The Black Keys with blues rock and Nick Waterhouse with R&B. Real R&B.

In regards to the post about quitting on music in 1985. Things like this always get me. The 90s were an excellent decade for music and are miles above the eighties. Think grunge, alternative rock, rap rock such as Rage Against the Machine or the Beastie Boys, hip hop's golden decade (whether you like it or not), vs hair bands, corny rock, teen pop, etc. Yuck.

Gaslight likes this.
  5. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Many others I know must enjoy it, as well.

jeatleboe likes this.
  6. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

This may very well be the future....and I'm fine with that. Hip hop as well, especially if they fuse the two and throw in some Industrial too.

7. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I know what has happened since then. For me, that is the problem with new stuff.

8. Beet

Beet Forum Resident

Well, I don't mind electronic as a musical instrument, but songs that are entirely electronic? No thanks. Give me some humanity, not noise that sounds like robots playing with themselves.

9. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I get enjoyment out of it. Not as much as robots playing with themselves, but enjoyment none-the-less. :)

ARK, Lookit and Beet like this.
  10. Naughty Chord

Naughty Chord Hole in my Socrates

I don't know, there seems to be a resurgence of live musicians in a studio actually playing real instruments, even in R&B/Soul and Hip-hop which are strongholds for sampling/looping. Analog and musicianship could be the future just as easily as electronic music. Don't underestimate the influence on up-and-coming artists of people like D'Angelo and Kendrick Lamar who are using live musicians on their highly acclaimed albums.

Beet likes this.
  11. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

And what would that be? You sample all those new releases each week to make sure your opinion is still spot on?

What did you think of the Southpaw soundtrack, then? I liked that one, but not so much the Ashley Monroe or the Prince Royce new release. I bet you liked the new Jill Scott though.

12. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

Hip Hop is what's played out. 30 years and it's failed to produce anything outside fans of the genre can appreciate. The more people insist on its cultural dominance the more I question it. Kendrick Lamar wants to be mentioned in the same breath as Hendrix and the Beatles? Knock yourself out, bro. Nobody's stopping you.

13. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I don't listen to stuff like that. I'm old school. I am glad you like it, though.

14. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

There you go, then. If you don't listen to that stuff, then you'll never know what you might be missing.

You should listen to the new Jill Scott, though. Seriously. If you're into retro 70's R&B / Soul.

Naughty Chord likes this.
  15. Beet

Beet Forum Resident

I'm not particularly a fan of hip hop, but I can appreciate it when the form is utilized to make quality music. It's not a whole lot different than folk music really. Lyrics first, vocally dominated forms of music. Folk and hip hop artists are on the opposite ends of the spectrum culturally, but a quality hip hop artist and Bob Dylan are not much different. I'm not saying they're of equal talent or quality, but it really is similar music, and I think people tend to forget this. Hip hop cannot be completely discounted.

ARK, edised and Naughty Chord like this.
  16. Naughty Chord

Naughty Chord Hole in my Socrates

The man's young. He's already produced some great music. Give him time and he might actually get there.

When I was in college I knew a guy who was in some of my Literature classes. A brilliant young guy, thoughtful, and he wrote some really good poetry. He used to enjoy arguing with the professors and he was smarter than many of them. One day the professor responded to one of his arguments with, "You're no Shakespeare". To which my friend replied, "How do you know?"

The point is that people in the 50s probably thought Elvis was the last word in music until the Beatles came along. The next generations have the benefit of everything we know and more. Give them a chance.

17. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I'm not, but I appreciate the recommendation.

Gaslight likes this.
  18. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

The things the OP mentioned are far from exhausted.
    The only thing exhausted is the access of truly creative people to the right contacts.
    And the interest of those who are in situations to discover talent.
    It is far easier to create stars than to find them.

19. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

She could do with a break, so I'll accept that.:D

20. edised

edised Forum Resident

Hip Hop has been incorporated in other genres for decades now!

ARK likes this.
  21. Khaki F

Khaki F Forum Resident

I can't say where music is headed, but I can talk about where I am at with it now.

Favorite newer releases are Jessie J's Sweet Talker and Emilie Autumn's Fight Like A Girl. I'm a fan of both artists and hope they continue to give us good new releases in the future.

I like Nicki Minaj's The Pinkprint as well. The first three tracks on that album are what sold me on it though, not Anaconda.

Also a fan of YUKI and Perfume, and am looking forward to what they'll do next. I didn't like YUKI's album Fly very much, but I loved Joy and megaphonic. I like all of Perfume's stuff.

22. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

Impossible. If you "gave up most new music", you can't know what's out there. If you're cool with that, no biggie. I know I wouldn't be.

As for new music and where it's headed, don't bother with the radio. There's really nothing to hear there unless you want to hear 40 permutations of the same Dr. Luke song. If you really want to know where new music is headed, look to YouTube. That's where all the woodshedding and brilliant music is happening.

Ed

Khaki F likes this.
  23. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

Completely forgettable song.

24. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

It's very hard to be different when there has already been 50 years or more of popular superstars who have been there and done that. How much originality can one handle before it sounds oddly bad.

25. Sammy Waslow

Sammy Waslow Just watching the show

"... except for these two". :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.