Unfitting inclusions on compilations

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodBlessTinyTim, Jul 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident Thread Starter

I was recently looking at a CD entitled Got Them Hillbilly Blues, a collection which aims to document African-American singers who recorded material with a strong rockabilly/hillbilly bent in the 50's. It looked promising at first, until I noticed one of the artists was Joe "definitely not black" Clay.
    [​IMG]
    ...How could the compilers make a mistake like this in the age of the internet? Of course, now it's hard not to question the credibility of the label as a whole.

As another example, Shout Factory's The Only Doo-Wop Collection You'll Ever Need features The Gladiolas' version of "Little Darlin'", but labels it as The Diamonds.

Has anyone here come across comparable mistakes?

2. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

The original compilation album The Smithsonian Collection of Classic Jazz from 1973 includes a Robert Johnson song, "Hellhound on My Trail." It's certainly important in the history of Delta blues, or in the roots of rock 'n' roll, but I never thought of it as jazz, or even related to jazz.

The 1987 revised edition of the Smithsonian box doesn't include this track.

Jimmy B. and GodBlessTinyTim like this.
  3. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

A Christmas CD compilation from 1995 called Christmas of Hope, which has some tracks on it that were not always easy to find on CD at the time, contains a decidedly non-seasonal song -- "New Year's Day" by U2. The only thing "seasonal" about it is its title.

Lost In The Flood and music4life like this.
  4. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

"Louie Louie" on the "Best of the Beach Boys" compilation.

NOS300B, Adam9, Terry Shute and 4 others like this.
  5. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

I wish I'd kept a record of such. Would be entertaining.

My steel trap mind is getting rusty :(

6. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

To me, the inclusion of You're Only Human and The Night Is Still Young in Billy Joel's "Greatest Hits Volume II 1978 - 1985" was unfitting because they were both new songs at the time and not among his greatest hits (although according to Wikipedia both did later become hits).

Jarleboy, svoegtlin and Dudley Morris like this.
  7. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident Thread Starter

Putting new songs on greatest-hits compilations is fairly common practice. Willie Nelson and Sly & The Family Stone have also done it.

ARK and Jarleboy like this.
  8. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

I agree that it is not uncommon, but to me a "greatest hits" collection should be just that, a performer's/band's greatest hits up to that point. Any non-hit is an unfitting inclusion on a "greatest hits" collection.

Jarleboy and ash1 like this.
  9. BigManRestless

BigManRestless Forum Resident

There are loads of 80s compilations in the UK that are very bad at doing this sort of thing. Anything called 'New Romantic' will soon run out of steam. Once you've got Spandau Ballet, Duran Duran, Culture Club, Visage, Ultravox, Japan, Landscape and Classix Nouveaux you've basically run out of genuine new romantic acts so they squeeze on anything vaguely early or mid 80s; Thomas Dolby, The Psychedelic Furs (!), Dead or Alive, Bow Wow Wow, Erasure (who formed in 1986, not exactly the total height of the new romantic movement...), Talking Heads (????), PiL (???????????????) and Wax (those two new romantic icons Graham Gouldman and Andrew Gold).

And I get very anal about "Hits of the 80s" compilations that include tracks from 1979.

10. Tony Sclafani

Tony Sclafani Forum Resident

The first volume of Northern Soul Girls Rock! contains a cut by Judy Stone that's out-and-out country, "Hello Faithless."

I can understand that this three-volume series sometimes stretches the definition of Northern Soul to include pop and girl group numbers. But country music is taking it too far. Other than that, this series is pretty great, though.

11. Andersoncouncil

Andersoncouncil Forum Resident

Grateful Dead - Skeletons from the Closet. Why did it include "rosemary" and Bobby's solo tune "Mexicali Blues"? I would have swapped the Dark Star single edit for Rosemary, and replaced Mexicali Blues with the Europe '72 version of "Jack Straw. This IMO would have made it a perfect early compilation of GD music. Of course, it's a very dated comp. now, but as a 16 year old it got me on the bus.

JimSmiley, Fletch and Hot Ptah like this.
  12. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

"East St. Louis Toodle-oo" always seemed the odd duck on Steely Dan compilations, on which it's appeared more than once. Were Becker and Fagen trying to bump publishing revenue toward the heirs of Duke Ellington or Bubber Miley?

Fullbug, ARK and Suncola like this.
  13. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored

Dance remixes.

Grant likes this.
  14. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

"Chushingura" on "The Worst of Jefferson Airplane".

agundy likes this.
  15. Limopard

Limopard National Dex #143

Almost half the tracks of Queen's Greatest Hits III. It doesn't really help that it's labelled Queen+.

Andrew, svoegtlin and Andersoncouncil like this.
  16. colinu

colinu I'm not lazy, I'm energy saving!

Another UK comp included Elton John's "Cold as Christmas" and "Snow Queen". To the best of my knowledge this is the only CD that included this B-side.

17. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

Some compilations have "Singles" in their titles, but not all were singles. The Cure's Staring at the Sea: The Singles has 4 album tracks. Great album regardless!

ARK likes this.
  18. Thwacko

Thwacko Forum Resident

With the number of times Timbuk3's "The Future's So Bright, I Gotta Wear Shades" appears on 80s compilations you'd think it was one of the biggest hits and most important songs of the decade. It's not.

19. music4life

music4life Senior Member

Any comp that substitutes live and /or alternate versions, or songs that werent even hits.
    "Authorized Greatest Hits" by Cheap Trick is an example that commits all three.
    "The Flame" and "I Cant Take It" are live versions. "If You Want My Love" and "Everything Works if You Let it" are alternate versions and while "Mandocello" and "Walk Away" are fine songs, they werent "hits" per say.

shaboo and gregorya like this.
  20. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

I agree although, as with everything, there can be exceptions. I thought that the Squeeze album, "Spot the Difference" was an entertaining take on the greatest hits concept, since it contained new studio recording of every track on the album, attempting for the most part to be as faithful to the originals as possible.

21. Lost In The Flood

Lost In The Flood Feeding an invisible goat

Ultimate Acoustic "40 laid back classics" (SonyMusicTV 2004) - disc 2 starts with the uncensored rawness of Working Class Hero & some of the other tracks are less laid back and more beautifully (or otherwise) bleak.

22. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

The LP was all singles. The four album tracks are bonuses on the CD.

23. Lost In The Flood

Lost In The Flood Feeding an invisible goat

and nobody seems to have told them that it's kind of a big deal that the famous version of The Sound Of Silence is electric.

24. Terry Shute

Terry Shute King of Sweden

Octopus' Garden on the Blue Album.

25. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

On the first Police singles comp, I never liked (and still don't) the slow remake of "Don't Stand So Close To Me'', especially since the album doesn't include the superior original recording.

Andrew, Grant and Jarleboy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.