Bob Djukic's collection and eBay auctions

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Supafly, Mar 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alfeizar

alfeizar Active Member

I have a monarch Zeppelin I that is the same Piros cut, and using its dalta number with the info Frank Daniels has been recollecting one can know this is a mid to late 73 copy. So they must have done the cuts and new pressing during that timeframe and probably for some reason the copy he has for sale ended up with a Broadway address label before they completely changed their label stock at Presswell, that's all. I agree that it shouldn't be called a first pressing, but well if the buyers don't research and like paying crazy money for it its up to them

2. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

Hot dang! I have a record exactly like that. Broadway labels, "AT/GP" both sides, made at Presswell, and near mint!!!!!! I bought it from a collector for twenty bucks.

The Piros cut has -C matrixes. Based on the research on this forum, it probably dates from 1973 or so. It is not found on the first pressings of Led Zeppelin I. The earliest pressings I've found have -A -A matrixes and feature the late 1960s style Atlantic deadwax, with "AT", ""LWP" and a big "W" (we still don't know what "W" signifies). The first cut was probably done circa late 1968. Note that the full matrix is ST-A 681461 - A. .

After the -A cut, there is a -B cut, probably from the early 70s. The -B cut has "PRP" in the deadwax, which indicates that the metal parts were made by Philips. This switch to Philips for metal instead of LongWear occurred sometime around 1970, according to our research. After the -B cut comes the Piros, -C cut.

So, the record in the auction does not have the features of a true first pressing. It is a third pressing, in my opinion.

hvbias likes this.
  3. TLMusic

From the ad:

"ULTRA-RARE ORIGINAL GEORGE PIROS MASTERING!!! The record has a George Piros’ name or his initials (GP) clearly stamped or hand-etched in the trail-off vinyl (dead wax) ;"

The record has his name or initials? So which is it?

"This is the first, the one and the only George Piros-mastered pressing of this album we have seen in a lifetime of collecting"

They must not be looking very hard, or had a streak of bad luck. I have four George Piros mastered LZI's in my collection, and I'm not even a record dealer...

4. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

The day-glo colouring can be distracting and annoying but there's no denying he has some great records.

I've only managed to buy one lp from his auctions since most of the auctions tend to go out of my price range. The lp I bought was accurately graded and very well packaged so I was quite happy.

His communication is really good as well, especially when you consider how many records he has listed. I've tried asking sellers with a fraction of what he has listed and don't get replies.

He provides a lot of photos which helps a lot. They're all well taken and really do help with assessing the cover grade. Vinyl condition is harder to gauge in that way though. But lots of well done photos is a good idea in any auction. It sure beats the "Sorry for the blurry photos" tag line I see from time to time.

Although a lot of his auctions do end with prices far higher than normal but you can still get a decent deal. It really depends on which item it is you want. I wouldn't even bother going for any of the Zeppelins or Floyds, etc.

I was confused by that auction as well as I though the GP cuts came later.

5. TLMusic

Pictures are nice, but the adamant lack of playgrading disappoints me.

You thought correctly.

6. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Thanks for the heads up ! I looked through all 22 pages, but nothing got me excited...this time. I either already have the same copy he has, or a mono (preferred) to his stereo. But I added him to my Favorites with a note to myself, and I'll look in on him again.

7. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

It's hard to play grade when you are selling hundreds of records.

8. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

On play grading: I would first like to know his setup and whether he is a music fan. Please note that most of his buyers prefer sealed albums.

Verstuurd van mijn AMOI N821 met Tapatalk

9. Does this seem accurate?:

"There are numerous generations of the pressings (issues) - as little as three and as many as five - and then there are numerous pressing plant (geographic) variations for each and every one of the labels (at least seven of them), PLUS there are ALL THREE record club pressings (RCA, Atlantic, Capitol - and even multiple issues and reissues of THOSE), possibly even the fourth (Columbia) and at least one imported version (German pressing for import to US military bases in Germany). None of the release dates for any of these pressings are neatly sequential and orderly: they are all staggered and odd (and sometimes even overlapping -- for example, Presswell's pressing plant in Ancora, NJ would migrate to the then-new Rockefeller Center address label, but Monarch Pressing Plant, LA would still be using the old Broadway, NYC address for a few more months), which means that a collector would have to spend a lifetime of research in order to make a catalog of all release dates. Therefore, I can only give you a very general answer to your question.

According to the multiple sources (Allmusic, Wikipedia), the album was officially released on January 12, 1969. However, about 20 years ago, I saw with my own eyes a blue and green (stamped "promotional") label of this album, which I have never seen before OR since; this would almost certainly mean that the album came out - or at least that the first advance copies were sent - AT LEAST two months earlier.

Many collectors consider purple and tan label pressing of this album to be a first pressing. In fact, these are RCA record club pressings from circa 1970-1971.

The first pressing had a Broadway, NYC address (the one I have) and was in use through early 1973; the second pressing had a Rockefeller Center address (1973-1975) and the third had a "WEA" acronym on the label's edge (1976-1985). There may have been pressings beyond 1985, but I wouldn't know about them,"

10. TLMusic

Basically it's accurate from what I can tell.

The implication that any Led Zep one with orange / green 1841 Broadway labels is a first pressing is an old-school US dealer concept. The original way to identify and categorize pressings was based on label variations, not deadwax. However, UK sellers have long been more sophisticated, using cutting and stamper codes to pinpoint more precisely what constitutes a first pressing.

Most of the older US dealers I encounter have little interest in deadwax markings. Deadwax has only recently become a selling feature on US records in the last few years, many dealers are starting to pick up on this. And SH forum probably has a lot to do with it.

P.S. A local dealer told me he once had a Blue Green label Atlantic pressing of Led Zeppelin I -- he sold it on eBay long ago...

11. Giorgio

Giorgio Forum Resident

I bought some records from this seller and in my opinion he is an honest, sincere and earnest guy. I think he strives to be as accurate as possible although perhaps he not perfectly know all the meaning of what is engraved in deadwax, as some people on this forum (from which I'm learning a lot and I thank!!).
    I would not blame him if his judgment is visual only because, in my opinion, it is not possible to find the time to listen to the thousands of records that he sells ...
    For me it is always clear in the description of the records for sale.
    He adds a lot of detailed photos with high quality and are always regarding the record in question (otherwise stated). This is in my opinion very important because a good picture is worth than a thousand words ...

Every time I sent a question I immediately received a clear and courteous response.
    When I received the records bought, they always correspond precisely to the description. The package was always well and lovely packaged.

So, for me he is a good seller.

12. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

I bought twice from esterdamin and both times overgraded under packed.

13. bayen

bayen Forum Resident

Same here!

14. gillcup

gillcup Senior Member

I bid on a copy of Badfinger's Wish You Were Here (sealed UK) in his latest auction. It ended up going for $338. Amazing. I think I spend too much on music. I can't imagine someone paying that kind of money for a single LP.

15. Vinyl_Conspearacy

Vinyl_Conspearacy Member

So another monster auction from this legendary collection went off today on eBay. Caught my eye midday when a LZ II went for an astonishing $2800.00. It landed at #3 for the day, and #6 for the year from his catalogue it seems, squeaking by a Charlie Parker and U2 War is Declared sealed box, which also pulled over $2k. The time sucker clock was wound and away I went.

He definitely spins some quality yarns about these records and origins, and some great reads on classic albums & musicians. Doesn't seem to be anything other than passion and appreciation for the medium, and a serious collectors collection. Some of these prices paid are just staggering though. Put Tom Port and the Hot Pressings Club to shame with a number of these big dollar sales. Anyone on here pick one up from Djukic recently? I see this thread is two years stale..

16. Giorgio

Giorgio Forum Resident

My last purchase from Djukic was on Jun 22, 2014: ZZ TOP~TRES HOMBRES~3rd ALBUM~RARE ORIG '73 LONDON UNREMIXED PROMO LP~VERY NICE, for US $32.00...album perfect as in the description. As already said, a good seller IMO.

dbsea and 1970 like this.
  17. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Wow. That RL II sold for more than the mint Torso Mono VU & Nico lp he had up (I didn't follow the RL II auction). Incredible. I wouldn't pay that much for an RL II but I sure wish I had the money to be able to do so! He must attract some very well off record collectors.

I won a few of his auctions. Haven't paid more than about $40 for any of them but they weren't things that would attract those crazy high bids. Generally i watch the auctions I'm interested in and unwatch when the price hits a figure higher than I would be interested in paying, which happens almost all of the time.

The last time I won an auction was about 6 months ago. No complaints. The few records I purchases were all graded properly and packaged really well. Better than 99% of the other sellers I dealt with.

Giorgio likes this.
  18. ROFLnaked

ROFLnaked Forum Resident

Perusing google to research Atlantic black/bullseye labels brings me to this older thread.

Why all the venom for Bob Djukic? I've never met him and I've never bid on any of his eBay auctions, but I have sent him 8 or so questions through the eBay system over the years regarding 1st & 2nd pressings, mono v stereo on particular labels, etc. Each and every time he's responded with an in-depth, far-above-the-call-of-duty response to a non-buying eBayer (me). It's obvious that he's passionate about music--particularly 60s soul records--and he's a nice guy. It's as confounding to me that an ubiquitous Eagles or Steely Dan record will command $100 in his auctions, but why besmirch the guy for it?

Just my .02¢

eddiel, 1970 and Giorgio like this.
  19. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Some consider it a privilege to have won one of his records and have it in the collection. As if one is in a exclusive club only for the rich who can afford the best. Like the Hit Stampers from Better Records, folks sleep better at night thinking that they have the best.

I find his descriptions insulting. I find nothing wrong with his catalog of listings for sale.

20. teag

teag Forum Resident

He has mistakes in his listings to beef them up a bit. Prices are a joke - most way too high. Would never buy from him.

LordThanos1969 likes this.
  21. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Actually his starting prices are fair for the most part. What people are willing to pay is another story as it isn't something he sets :)

I managed to win a few of his auctions at reasonable prices. His packaging is great, the grading has been accurate, communication is very good and selection of items is always amazing. I wish there were more sellers on ebay like him; although with less bidders!

Giorgio and 1970 like this.
  22. teag

teag Forum Resident

Thanks Bob!

23. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

:laugh:

Nope not Bob. If I was I wouldn't have time to post on this forum. I'd be getting ready for my next auction. :)

Joking aside, his opening bids tend to be in the $20-30 sort of range and for the most part that's alright for many of the items. There's been a few times I've thought the opening bid amount was too high for the record in question but generally I don't find that's the case. I'm comparing those min bid amounts with current market prices I see online though. Perhaps others find them for less locally.

I'm not sure where the winners of those auctions get their money from but they seem to have a lot of it. I wish I had that sort of loyalty when I sold my records online!

24. DickLaurentIsDead

DickLaurentIsDead Forum Resident

Hell with this guy.
    He goes from saying MINT in the auction header,
    to saying NEAR MINT in his item description,
    to saying MAY HAVE A FEW LIGHT MARKS in his grading definitions.

MINT to FEW LIGHT MARKS...
    nice work, Bob.

mikeyt likes this.
  25. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

Regarding a sealed vintage record, I asked Bob about what recourse there is if his “100% GUARANTEED ORIGINAL FIRST PRESSING” (as he stated in the title) turns out to be a later pressing and he replied:

“None whatsoever, I am afraid.”

So what does this 100% guarantee actually guarantee?

“That means that the seller has attested that, to his best knowledge, knowledge and belief, the disc is the original, first pressing.”

Great.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.