The Eagles concert contract = no A/C in the venue

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by starfieldroad, Jul 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starfieldroad

starfieldroad chew up your love then swallow Thread Starter

let me preface this by saying that the weather that weekend suuuuucked, very warm & high humidity. It's only gonna get worse with 17k Eagles fans belching and farting out their hot & moist chain restaurant & cheap beer vapors. I remain with The Dude on this one...

http://www.kentucky.com/2015/07/27/3962235/rupp-management-says-eagles-had.html

A record-grossing Eagles concert at Rupp Arena on Saturday left some concert-goers uncomfortable after air conditioning was turned off at the Eagles' request.

In a written statement, the Lexington Center Corp., which manages Rupp Arena, said Monday there was no mechanical problem with the air conditioning during the three-hour concert attended by more than 17,000 people.

"Per the contract agreement with Rupp Arena, the artist's management stipulated that there be no air movement on stage during the concert," the statement said. "Under this agreement with the tour, there was to be no air conditioning in the lower arena until the temperatures became 'uncomfortable.'"

Right before intermission, the Eagles management agreed to allow the air conditioning to be switched back on. Lexington Center ran the air conditioning during the second half of the show. It also had run the air conditioning all day before the Eagles took the stage.

Several people left messages on the Herald-Leader's review of the concert complaining about the heat. Lexington Center Corp. also received multiple complaints, center officials said Monday. The Lexington Center also got complaints about the ban on cellphone pictures during the concert, which was also at the request of the Eagles' management, Lexington Center staff said.

2. starfieldroad

3. Gammondorf

Gammondorf Forum Resident

The heat is on!

4. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Spot for their next venue:

[​IMG]

Satrus, M321115, Drifter and 10 others like this.
  5. starfieldroad

set the controls for the heart of the sun

6. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

Yet another reason to keep $500 in my pocket

keyXVII, Bill Mac, CBC and 20 others like this.
  7. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

David Lee Roth complained about air conditioning several times on the 2012 Van Halen tour. It became something of a joke between fans given that Dave's voice was in tough shape anyway. I completely believe that a/c is bad for singing voices but it made no sense to me that a top act like Van Halen wouldn't have this addressed with every venue long before they played. And certainly it wouldn't happen after the first time.

There's a scene in the Iron Maiden documentary Flight 666 where singer Bruce Dickinson gets in a van post show and has to ask the driver twice to turn off the air conditioning. Obviously in that case it could be easy for a sweaty post show ride to lead to getting a cold which would be disastrous for a singer, and then future shows could be at risk.

Bottom line, I have no problem with the Eagles in this case.

8. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

Poor babies

petem1966 and Keith V like this.
  9. Take it easy, it gets so cold up on that stage, hell freezes over.

10. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

I don't get it. What's the problem with a little "air movement" on stage? :confused:

supernaut likes this.
  11. I can't tell you why.

12. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

The Eagles aren't the first band to demand no AC - I've seen it happen a bunch of times...

telepicker97 likes this.
  13. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

:laugh:

14. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Now, if it were a green measure to reduce the carbon footprint generated by the concert, I can understand, but....

D.B. and Muddy like this.
  15. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

I guess Hell doesn't freeze over.

16. fuse999

fuse999 Forum Resident

Please stipulate the fact of no air conditioning on the site when I am buying tickets.

17. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

The Eagles need a beating...

18. Michael

LOL! that's funny!

19. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

After the Chill Is Gone.

20. Michael

what a deal! and no AC! YAY!

21. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

Back in the 80s I went to see Aretha Franklin at Radio City Music Hall in the middle of July. Unbeknownst to me, she is adamant about no A/C in her venues. I nearly passed out and I was drenched in sweat by the time the concert ended. To top it off, she stunk that night and was on stage for maybe an hour.

supernaut likes this.
  22. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

All this whinin' and cryin' and pitchin' a fit
    GET OVER IT
    GET OVER IT!

Ed

23. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

The heat is da da da da On!

agentalbert and supernaut like this.
  24. sportzdad

sportzdad Well-Known Member

I bet Celine has these riders as well.

Jamey K likes this.
  25. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

Not a comparable situation, but I remember being at Coachella years ago and seeing Beck at one of the tents. Of course I don't expect Coachella to offer A/C as it's all open air, and running A/C in the tents would be a massive waste of energy for very little gain outside of the few people standing right by the A/C units. That being said, the air flow was so bad in the tent that people were standing on tip toes just to get a few breaths of air that wasn't heavy with the heat and sweat of the overly full tent. I was surprised nobody fainted. Maybe some did and I just didn't see it. Beck was good, but the experience was miserable. And that set was probably 45 minutes. I couldn't imagine dealing with that for 2+ hours, regardless of the act on stage.

Whizz Kid, starfieldroad and PHILLYQ like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.