Rolling Stones - Satisfaction 12" Limited Numbered Vinyl Released By Abkco 7/10/15

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jsayers, Apr 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

Has anyone compared this 12" to an original Decca UK pressed US or international issue of 'Out of our Heads'???

2. Sam

Sam Senior Member

I compared my 4 various pressings. I own the following:
    • London Decca FFrr rare mono red label (Decca pressing for U.S. Release)
    • London maroon mono U.S.
    • Box set 64-69
    • New 12 inch 45 rpm
    The FFrr was the cleanest sounding with Keith's guitar more upfront in the mix. The bass, while clean, was not as deep as on the other 3. Trade offs.

The London mono had a little more bass, but also slightly less clear.

The new 12 inch single has the most bass. It is very deep and the overall presentation is quite engaging. There is clarity in the tambourine and a fullness to Mick's voice. Keith's guitar is a little further back in the mix, giving it a slightly veiled sound. The nice thing about the 45 is that it can be played at louder volumes and remain musical.

Believe it or not, the cut from the 64-69 box set, sourced from high resolution digital files, offers a nice balance from all the positive aspects of the others. Go figure.

All in all, I'm quite happy with the positive qualities from the new 45 12 inch. There are merits to each, which is why it's so much fun to collect more than one version of classic recordings.

googlymoogly, Jack, Davidmk5 and 3 others like this.
  3. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

I'm waiting long time for my copy to arrive, it's been about three weeks. I ordered on amazon but it's coming from the UK.

4. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

True, but the trade-off there is that it can get much more expensive. But then, I'm not telling anybody here anything new.........

5. Troyh

Troyh Forum Resident

Just listened to this on my mono rig and it's pretty sweet.
    Agree about the bass presence very much and Mick is front and center.

6. James_S888

Also have the
    • London Decca FFrr rare mono red label (Decca pressing for U.S. Release)
    • London maroon mono U.S.
    • Box set 64-69

am waiting for the 12 inches to arrive :)

7. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

The japanese will release the CD version of this one:

"The Rolling Stones' legendary 12-inch single reissued for the very first time on CD (SHM-CD format) in mono. Features 7-inch cardboard sleeve (serial-numbered). Also comes with a bonus cover artwork, replicating the design of the first pressing of a Japanese edition. Comes with a description and lyrics. *Japanese original release."

jsayers, Mark Wilson and Turmatic like this.
  8. J Vanarsdale

J Vanarsdale Forum Resident

Kinda confused as to why this is a 12"... why not a 7" like the original, and why 180gm? Seems a bit over the top

9. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

It is a luxury world we (some of us) are living in: the 7'' singles are issued as 12", and the 12" LPs as 45s...:)

James_S888, soundQman and cc-- like this.
  10. YouKnowEyeKnow

YouKnowEyeKnow Forum Resident

Perhaps the 12" allows for even more quality sonic delivery than the 7" single would have. I can't say for sure, but the 180g is always up for debate as to what benefit that would bring.

11. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

Yes, I'm sure the 12" was done for increased sound quality, especially since they put both the UK & US B-sides on it as well.

AnalogJ and YouKnowEyeKnow like this.
  12. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

No doubt. The air, dynamics, and resolution on the 12" could not have been done on a 7".

13. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

We *are* still talking about "Satisfaction", right? Recorded by The Rolling Stones? At RCA's Music Center of the World?

14. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

It sounds quite good in relative terms

15. James_S888

12 inches rotating at 45 rpm will beat 7 inches any day.
    Ask any lady :cool:

MHP likes this.
  16. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

That's some fast dildo.

hi_watt and MHP like this.
  17. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting.... Thread Starter

Sweet - I like the description :

"The Rolling Stones' legendary 12-inch single reissued for the very first time on CD (SHM-CD format) in mono. Features 7-inch cardboard sleeve (serial-numbered). Also comes with a bonus cover artwork, replicating the design of the first pressing of a Japanese edition. Comes with a description and lyrics. *Japanese original release."

18. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    also includes an eight page b/w liner note booklet with lyrics. the back of the replica single insert also has the lyrics.
    i don't have the 12" to compare but the CD is mastered loud and compressed (i.e. more so than the corresponding tracks on The London Years 2002 remaster).

IDwithnoE likes this.
  19. bruce of oz

bruce of oz Forum Resident

Was disappointed with this, thought it was a bit dull for want of a better word. Much prefer my MoFi pressing.

20. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

I gave up on The Stones masters starting from when I heard the 2009 mastering...horrid stuff.
    I treasure my Virgin cds for the 70's output and my 2003's abkco's for the 60's.

21. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

i assumed these would be comparable to the ABKCO 2002 masters... seemed the 12" was lauded as "audiophile".

22. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

I bought the 12" vinyl of Satisfaction this year but I heard so many bad reviews that I decided not to open it...I love my Chess Sessions bootleg cd, it's has the best version of Satisfaction ever.

23. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

fair enough, i'll file this one with the numerous other releases where more thought went into the packaging than the music within.

mooseman likes this.
  24. cc--

cc-- Forum Resident

I thought it had good reviews here, like in this thread?

25. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

It was a mixed bag on the reviews but from hearing the new remasters from 2009 & deluxe sets, I expected the worst. I own so many different versions of this song, I'm not sure why I even purchased this 12".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.