Neil Young Says He's Removing His Music From Streaming Services

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by FrixFrixFrix, Jul 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

I could see if his music was streamed via 96 Kbps MPEG . That's some stinky sound quality there!

2. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I think Neul is thinking ahead and hoping or expecting others to follow his lead.

There is also the question of Neil not wanting any cheap competiton with his high priced vinyl and potential box set. Might have mentioned already I didn't read this entire thread.

3. rjp

rjp Senior Member

most of young's music is off of spotify - monday july 27 @1:00 pm.

a few things are still there, some, but not all the geffen albums, and for some reason "freedom" is still there.

"harvest is gone, but "heart of gold" (the one on 'decade" is still there. although only about 3 seconds of it will play!

strange.

broccolid likes this.
  4. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

It looks like they're working on "disappearing" Decade now.

5. John Grimes

John Grimes Forum Resident

I'd say Neil is a freak of nature.

IpseDixit likes this.
  6. longaway

longaway Senior Member

Well, darn. Which of the hundreds of Cinnamon Girl covers will I listen to, now?

sunspot42 and broccolid like this.
  7. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

Well, the first Crazy Horse album is still on Spotify. It equals the best of Neil's 70s output. You can hear "Downtown".

Tuck1977 likes this.
  8. broccolid

broccolid Trickologist

Yep, Trans is now his oldest full album on Spotify.

9. stollar

stollar Forum Resident

By removing his music on Spotify, that old fart Young lost me as a fan...FY..

Dukes Travels likes this.
  10. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

You must really enjoy Spotify!

11. broccolid

broccolid Trickologist

He's not alone. It's awesome once you get into it. It's like having one of those huge rooms full of records at a college radio station at your disposal. I have filled in so many gaps in my listening over the last three years. I went an amazing amount of time after subscribing without listening to any albums I already owned. Highly recommended.

12. stollar

stollar Forum Resident

Yes > Some people actually enjoy streaming services like Spotify..
    In the apartment were i live now playing music over the stereo
    is almost impossible beacuase of the neighbours >> So the only way to
    listen to music is by Spotify thru headphones...

JoeF. likes this.
  13. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

I have been thinking about this one since I stumbled over the discussion this weekend. I was initially all about "Neil has lost me since I don't care enough to buy any more of his albums now".

I decided to compromise with NY: I bought Living With War on iTunes just now. :shh: Never heard it. I know it's controversial.

14. Jack Flash

Jack Flash Forum Resident

Spotify is awesome.

longaway and stollar like this.
  15. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

Your stereo doesn't have a headphone jack?

Kevin j and theshape like this.
  16. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I'm going to try Pandora, as a friend in the building is going to share his passcode with me. But from everthing I read, these machines do not know how to suggest music.

Really, I do have a huge room full of records and CDs at my disposal.

17. broccolid

broccolid Trickologist

Pandora is awful. Dumb recommendations galore. I made what I thought was a well-constructed prog playlist and it kept suggesting AC/DC.

Dukes Travels and nbakid2000 like this.
  18. stollar

stollar Forum Resident

It has a headphone jack, But i iv"e been so accustomed to sit in my sofa
    with my laptop..I really don"t miss to get up and switch cd"s all the time..

19. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

In the case of Neil Young, it is a good question. Most of his albums are HDCD. Have they been decoded? Or is it the compromised crap you get from playing them in a regular CD player? My guess it's the latter.

20. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

I know, right? Especially for those of us who are on the move a lot and have our CD's packed in the basement or closet. I have all of NY's albums up thru Pychadelic Pill and all his archive releases. He wants to take the Spotify option away from us, ok, it's his right (let me say that before someone else lectures us), but he's being a grouch, and like with his most recent music, his reasoning is not well thought out....

Jack Flash and stollar like this.
  21. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

if that's you level of devotion, neil young don't need you around anyhow.

Dave S likes this.
  22. broccolid

broccolid Trickologist

On the other hand, all of Cheap Trick's studio albums are on Spotify for the first time in the site's history. The last two to show up were the 1997 S/T and Woke Up with a Monster. Much more worth your while than Trans, Everybody's Rockin', Old Ways and whatever other NY leftovers remain on the site, IMO.

Scopitone likes this.
  23. dolstein

dolstein Senior Member

Why doesn't Neil also pull his catalog from the iTunes store?

Billy Infinity likes this.
  24. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

This is what I do not understand, if you are going to pull it from stream sites because of sound quality fair enough but leaving catalog in the store is slightly hypocritical. Just like The Beatles now next he will be raising them all to £12 per single album & £18 per double.

Lost In The Flood and GetHappy!! like this.
  25. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I have been following this thread for a while now. And your commemts are exactly what I have been thinking all along. Who the heck under maybe the age of 40 even knows who he is? And if you played his music to 500 people under 40, how many of them would actually like it? 10? I think people that want his music already have it. I really don't think there are that many sales left to be made of his catalog. Sure, we will buy some reissues because we are obsessed with that sort of thing, but we would buy them anyway with or without streaming. So, really, as someone else said, this is more about him taking a stand for what he believes. I think it will have almost no impact on any actual sales, and if he was streaming, I don't think most younger people would care either way.

Scopitone likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.