There are many albums in your collection that you'll never listen to again...How Do You Feel?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ten Years Gone, Jul 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John54

John54 Senior Member

I planned to cull some back in 1998. I listened to a few hundred LPs, EPs and 12" singles and kept notes on songs I liked. I never did throw anything out though. I still have the book of notes for "future reference" ...

2. Gavinyl

Gavinyl Remembering Member

Please post a larger pic of that mate!

3. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

4. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Or is it? I always want what I don't already have.

SteveM likes this.
  5. NotebookWriter

NotebookWriter Forum Resident

I think taking stock of your collection and reducing it to only those titles that you will be certain to listen to more than once in your remaining years would be much more depressing.

If I really wanted to dwell on it, I could think of a lot of things I might never do again and places I'll never revisit.

I believe it's healthier not to think of those things.

Stormrider77, stem and 1970 like this.
  6. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I wonder what this room smells like.

jerrygene likes this.
  7. michael landes

michael landes Forum Resident

I totally get it about not wanting to get rid of any because maybe your interest in them will revive or whatever. But personally I have found the weeding out process
    very VERY satisfying. You are not judging the records. You are merely ranking them in terms of your own affections. I find it fascinating to discover which are the ones the I, no one else, just me, I like the most. It's not like you are diminishing your world when you still end up with more records than you have time. I don't learn about the records, I learn more about myself. Now I look forward to these intermittent spring cleanings. It's like I'm cleaning my head.

hockman, RelayerNJ and avalanche like this.
  8. miklew

miklew Forum Resident

I think this person is actually paraphrasing Wim Wenders, who said: "My advice is: don't spend money on therapy. Spend it in a record store":)

havenz likes this.
  9. miklew

miklew Forum Resident

In the last 2 years I went from 8000 lp's to 800. haven't looked back. There are only so many hours in the day and I have become less selfish since the birth of my son. I would much rather spend quality time with him. Now when I do listen to vinyl it's quality over quantity.

ukrules likes this.
  10. chewy

chewy Forum Resident

i just had to downgrade i got rid hundreds this month- nothing good of course just all the stuff i never should of had in here in the 1st place- like 5 copies of S'Continental, i kept the sealed one and ditches the others.

11. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

I need to do a major cull of mine by getting rid of a few thousand discs. Even if I started today I probably couldn't play them all by the time I started to push up daisy's.

miklew likes this.
  12. Rodz42

Rodz42 Forum Resident

I cull all the time. Usually don't regret it, but sometimes I miss a few and have bought them back :confused:

cwitt1980 likes this.
  13. kollektionist

kollektionist Forum Resident

What do you mean "again" ? There's crap in there I haven't even played once !

K.K. Bing, cwitt1980 and 1970 like this.
  14. Poxy Bowsy

Poxy Bowsy Well-Known Member

The same happen with books. So many classics i'll never read again... life is hard man!

Rachel likes this.
  15. Rachel

Rachel Active Member

Sometimes it's overwhelming but I try not to let it get to me. For example, I've been a voracious reader my entire life. I'm now majoring in English in college. I've read thousands of books in my life and probably have 400 in my room. I've kept only my favorites. I've read the majority of these books and probably won't read the vast majority of those again. But I return back to little parts, I see them and I remember what they contributed to my life. I find record collecting to be similar. Not every record will be played again, but it's almost a physical memory, the ability to revisit it is always there and I don't know, I wouldn't be able to part with that.

noyoucmon likes this.
  16. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Very timely thread for me, and lots of good thoughts.

My wife counsels me not to be too hasty getting rid of some things, but I think that's cover for her clothes buying addiction :laugh:

I have purged massively in the past though, and don't generally feel sick about that, so I can probably do it again. What's left of vinyl will go first (it's getting hard to see dust on the needle).

CDs are trickling out, and I have an objective to reduce the collection to the number that will fit on some custom-made shelving I have, and then free the floor space that some rickety shelving and odd piles and boxes of cds now occupy.

17. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

That's it exactly. I have no idea right now what I will want to listen to tomorrow, but I know that whatever it is, it will be there. That is the practical benefit of having a large collection, imo.

Rodz42 and noyoucmon like this.
  18. MONOLOVER

MONOLOVER Forum Resident

If they don't do anything for me anymore and probably never will I give away, use them as trade or sell to update. As my taste change so does the collection. I don't have unlimited room and keeping stuff I don't like is a waste of space. Like outgrown clothes in your wardrobe.

19. Dino

Dino Forum Resident

I find the "it should go if I haven't listened to it in the last three years" curious.

It would seem that if one had a large collection, there would be many records that could be a favorite (among hundreds of favorites) even if one hadn't gotten around to playing it for quite a while. I sometimes think of or see something that I have not played or maybe even thought of for over three years and it can be like:

"Oh man, I forgot about that. This will be so cool to listen to right now!"

But what works for one may not work for another. The three year rule would not work for me.

20. Dino

Dino Forum Resident

21. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I need to get rid of a lot of albums. I bought vinyl for years even though I did not have a turntable, so I built up a backlog of un-listened to records. I had forgotten how many DCC albums I had accumulated, and many remain sealed. I'll never listen to all of those records, and if they are defective, I'll never be able to return them, so it's probably best to leave them sealed. So, they just sit on the shelf. Kind of a waste, so I need to figure out a process for selling them off.

22. 1970

1970 Forum Resident

Thankfully, that stark realization never factors in to what I will acquire next, or dispose of. The records are there, in the other room. It is comforting to me and whenever I go in there it is like entering a sanctuary.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
    Dino likes this.
  23. Dino

Dino Forum Resident

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/forums/classifieds-vinyl/ :)

24. stephencorkery

stephencorkery Forum Resident

As someone said, I'm more troubled by the amount of books I've accumulated that I've never even cracked the spine of.

An album takes an hour to listen to but a book is a much bigger investment of time. I'm forty and i feel like i've enough books to last me a lifetime! If i have 1000s of albums I haven't listened to in my seventies I might start worrying.

K.K. Bing likes this.
  25. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

I'm quite a bit worse with books. Given the attractions of TV, videogames, music and the internet there's little short of a zombie holocaust that's going to give me an incentive to read the collection of books I've built up, but what's the point in worrying about it?

The books & music are there as a resource if I feel like it. I don't 'owe them' consumption.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.