Paul McCartney Archive Collection - Tug Of War & Pipes Of Peace coming! (Part Two)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by daveidmarx, Feb 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thrillington

Thrillington McCartney Scholar

If you say so.

2. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

I noticed that too but quickly found the one that you shared above.

My first thought was "hey wait a minute this is the same!!" and got really disappointed. Now I'm dissapointed were not getting it on the deluxe edition.

Rocco likes this.
  3. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Not yet. I need to see that next Coming Soon card before I celebrate. I've been burned before... ;)

4. AppleCorp3

Does it make sense to leave less successful albums out? If so, based on what benchmark? Critics? Then Ram is out. Sales? Then there will be a lot of holes.

I don't think the Archive Collection's purpose is to cram these albums down everyone's throats and make us like them finally. Rather, it's to issue a definitive, complete document of all albums with some unreleased material.

Some folks in the media have chosen to reevaluate some albums (McCartney II) or entirely change their appraisal (Ram). He's not in control of this.

He could go on a ton of talk shows and perform Ode to a Koala Bear or introduce So Bad into his live shows but let's be honest, these sets are not going to move any more copies than they would have anyway.

Thrillington and jeatleboe like this.
  5. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

So your way to justify this is to say it's ok that Paul purposely keeps quality material in the vaults because the junk he DOES give us is new to casual fans?

Here's a secret.. The good stuff would be new to casual fans too.

Rocco likes this.
  6. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

Here's another secret. We don't know as much as we like to think we do about what exists in the vaults and whether it is quality material.

7. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt Thread Starter

Well, we DO know that some of the stuff that has leaked on bootleg IS quality material - such as the demo of On The Wings Of A Nightingale, and to not see it listed as part of Pipes Of Peace (albeit on an unofficial track listing) is rather frustrating indeed.

heatherly, theMess, Rocco and 2 others like this.
  8. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

Exactly...sorry, but the demo of "On the Wings of a Nightingale" is more essential to me than a demo of "Average Person".

She is anyway and daveidmarx like this.
  9. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

Agree, although that could fit just as well on a Broad Street reissue, and the apparent absence of "We All Stand Together" from Pipes of Peace makes me think Broad Street is in the works.

theMess likes this.
  10. Arnold Grove

Don't let it be NEXT though!! ;)

theMess likes this.
  11. Thrillington

I'm not sure that constitutes as a secret...I'm not saying we shouldn't get more bonuses, particularly ones like 'On the Wings of a Nightingale' which I adore. Everyone has their own measure of what makes material 'quality'. This bonus disc is worth more to those of us unfamiliar with the material. I'm not saying it's perfect, we don't know for sure what's In the vault, or if any material is earmarked for a later box set etc. I'll only make my judgement once I've heard it for myself.

12. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

I did considar that, since both have a release date of 1984. But will there be room, with all the rediculous dance mixes of "No More Lonely Nights?

13. Thrillington

I think the most frustrating part of these bonus discs, for all of us perhaps, is the lack of consistency. Some demos of songs used or unused, some single mixes, live cuts, unreleased tracks, alternate takes. They've all been a bit of a hodgepodge. If we knew what to expect (e.g each album will get demos where available, extended mixes if they exist, no live cuts and any previously bootlegged tracks) it'd be more like plain sailing. As it is, it's a bit messy. I remain hopeful that by the end of the reissue campaign, with extra box sets to pad out the bonuses, we'll have an expansive and satisfying selection of bonus material. Until then, it's an agonising wait.

14. daveidmarx

Why not? Consider this possible disc two:

NMLN 12" playout 8:10
    NMLN 7" playout 3:56
    NMLN 12" Baker 6:53
    NMLN 7" Baker 4:20
    NMLN Mole Mix 8:53
    NMLN Sanford 7:17 (highly unlikely he'd use this mix, but it's certainly available)
    We All Stand Together 4:22
    We All Stand Together (humming) 2:22

All of that only adds up to just over 46 minutes. There's plenty of space left to include more. But of course given the track record of these sets, there's no sure bet that any of that space will be utilized to any degree...

15. She is anyway

She is anyway Well-Known Member

Some really nice photos included in that video, by the way. Thanks for posting that.

theMess and Rocco like this.
  16. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

And don't forget, there must be more unreleased/alternative NMLN mixes in the vault!!!!

17. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

And yet another secret.. Reading through the last few pages, you will see mention of things that we know exist. Such as the "Blackpool" b-side planned for "The Man," "On the Wings of a Nightingale," or the various mixes of these tracks from now quite rare singles. I'm talking about what we DO know exists, but surely you know that.

Exactly. It's always the two people who have no idea what exists, that love the bonus offerings no matter what, and accuse the rest of us of not knowing what we're talking about.

Rocco likes this.
  18. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

Wasn't there also an extended 12 inch version of "The man"?
    Maybe they will just release the deleted single...wouldn't that be cool? Or is that too logical...

Rocco likes this.
  19. AppleCorp3

Sweet! No More Lonely Nights dance party at my house!!!

20. Arnold Grove

As we have seen with all of the previous Archive sets: The PURPOSE of these sets is to reintroduce the MAIN ALBUMS. They are NOT to be collections of huge numbers of outtakes, or demos, or unreleased recordings. If you are looking for all-encompassing sets, these Archive editions are not going to be satisfactory. For whatever reasons, Paul and MPL have decided that the current method that they have is the way that they want to go. So far, most sets have had only 7 or 8 bonus tracks (Venus and Mars had 14 for some reason---and that was great, but it also was an anomaly compared to the other sets). The two upcoming sets have 9 (Pipes) and 11 (Tug) bonus tracks, which is slightly more than usual.

Sure, I'd love to get EVERYTHING now (or just double the amount of bonus tracks would be fantastic to me), but it ain't happening. Maybe there will be some type of rarities box in the future; maybe not. I've been waiting for Cold Cuts to be released since the 1970s. So I know how Paul and MPL work when it comes to outtakes and unreleased stuff. I've accepted it and am okay with it --- so I'll be getting all of the Archive sets in whatever form they are released.

kevintee, theMess, OobuJoobu and 6 others like this.
  21. daveidmarx

Dare to dream!!!!! :eek:

Rocco likes this.
  22. daveidmarx

Sorry, but I'm washing my hair that night... :sigh:

23. daveidmarx

I guess someone has never heard of a delicatessen... :wiggle:

24. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

I think that's a bit harsh. The point, as I understood it, was that for some people (ie, those not familiar with bootlegs) these tracklistings will actually be quite exciting and so they shouldn't just be written off as a fail. They may be a fail for you (and, indeed, me I might add) but they're not a total fail for everyone.

kevintee, theMess, OobuJoobu and 2 others like this.
  25. Arnold Grove

If I ever decided to open a deli, I'd call it "Cold Cuts" and would have the album Cold Cuts playing on a continual loop.

Do you think that would help to get more customers? Or would they be scared off? ;)

theMess likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.