If you could travel back in time to see 1 band do 1 show who and what would it be?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Les26, Jul 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 24voltsdc

24voltsdc Forum Resident

Pink Floyd Animals Tour. Any show would do.

Jasonb likes this.
  2. RBtl

RBtl Forum Resident

The Beatles in Hamburg, just before they signed with EMI. Maybe one of the performances where Ringo sat in, but I'm not going to get too fussy about that. I'd be happy to buy them each a beer between sets, but I'm not sure what they'd make of the 60 year old guy who knew the words to all their songs.

3. David67

David67 Forum Resident

Aw man only one band...As much as I love Jimi, I shall choose Miles Davis live at the Isle of Wight on August 29, 1970 where his band played full-on supersonic funk in front of more than half a million people.

4. ccbarr

ccbarr Forum Resident

I'm sure this has been said 100 times and is an obvious choice, but I'd love to travel back to 1976 and catch the best night of the Wings Over America tour. The Rockshow Blu-Ray is nice (my copy still has that sound issue, little to no bass) but it's not like really being there.

5. surf city soul

surf city soul Well-Known Member

The beach boys pine knob music theatre august 24-26 1977. Dennis Wilson played half hour sets of pacific ocean blue material.
    Wonder if they were taped?

6. nmesen

nmesen Forum Resident

#1 is Leon Redbone/Ry Cooder at the Bottom Line, NYC 5-16-74
    oh and I guess I would probably stay for Neil Young doing solo On the Beach material :D

#2 would be Charley Patton at any gig any time

7. Jasonb

Jasonb Forum Resident

Beat me to it!
    That and Wagners Ring Cycle Bayreuth 1876

24voltsdc likes this.
  8. Seederman

Seederman Forum Resident

I would like to travel back to ancient Greece and see whatever musicians Plato was complaining about and maybe even try to get a backstage pass:

"Our music was once divided into its proper forms...It was not permitted to exchange the melodic styles of these established forms and others. Knowledge and informed judgment penalized disobedience. There were no whistles, unmusical mob-noises, or clapping for applause. The rule was to listen silently and learn; boys, teachers, and the crowd were kept in order by threat of the stick. . . . But later, an unmusical anarchy was led by poets who had natural talent, but were ignorant of the laws of music...Through foolishness they deceived themselves into thinking that there was no right or wrong way in music, that it was to be judged good or bad by the pleasure it gave. By their works and their theories they infected the masses with the presumption to think themselves adequate judges. So our theatres, once silent, grew vocal, and aristocracy of music gave way to a pernicious theatrocracy...the criterion was not music, but a reputation for promiscuous cleverness and a spirit of law-breaking."

--
    from Laws

That has got to be the ancient rock and roll, if not the ancient VU, Stooges, or Stones... And Plato, brilliant though he was, sure sounds like a buzzkilling curmudgeon here.

9. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

Actually, mine is any Pink Floyd show not on the animals tour. The show I saw was terrible.

The Who with orig lineup and Allman Brothers with Duane.

10. sloaches

sloaches Forum Resident

I'd want to see Elvis when he was touring sometime in mid-1955. He'd still be raw as a stage performer, but I bet it would be fun to watch!

11. DLD

DLD Senior Member

U2's third appearance here in Dallas, in 1983 at The Bronco Bowl, yea, never seen em, unforgiveable IMHO :o Would have been nice to have seen em when they were young and hungry

12. Jasonb

Jasonb Forum Resident

The bootlegs of the tour sound great.

13. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

First of two shows in Anaheim, California. I've heard that boot. It sounds as wretched as the concert did in person.

14. Jasonb

Jasonb Forum Resident

I guess it's the Animals Instinct boot from Oakland that everyone knows.

15. Mike Bass

Mike Bass Forum Resident

No question. The Who at their Shepperton show filmed for "The Kids Are Alright" in 1978. Those performances of "Baba O'Riley" and "Won't Get Fooled Again" are exhilarating to watch!

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  16. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

The Doors-Fillmore East 68

17. lrpm

lrpm Forum Resident

Led Zeppelin at the Bath festival 1970, I would take Mike Millard with me to tape the show

18. strummer101

strummer101 The insane on occasion aren't without their charms

I'd like to see Mott the Hoople play a small club in 1973. The original band.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.