Beatles Film Help! 50th Anniversary July 29th (1965-2015) TODAY!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by linclink, Jul 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. linclink

linclink Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. linclink

:) Like the song sez... celebratin' Bed Rock style!!

3. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

4. fiendish_thingy

fiendish_thingy Forum Resident

I have this sudden urge to go to the window.

CMcGeek, Mike Bass, Jamey K and 7 others like this.
  5. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I bought the somewhat recent DVD box set with the glossy, hardcover book. The film is a beautiful transfer. As goofy as the film is, it IS Richard Lester, and I have fun and enjoy the music every time I watch it. Those boys, they're so down to earth, success hasn't affected them one bit.

Tuco likes this.
  6. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Holy S**t!!! I'm really old!!!

Michael likes this.
  7. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Time to pull out the Bluray for another viewing!

8. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

It's always A Hard Days Night which gets all the accolades for it's style of filmmaking, how it truly served as THE definitive introduction of each individual Beatle, etc., etc...but to be honest, great as it is, I lose my patience with it these days. In re-watching Help! about a month ago though, I found myself laughing and greatly enjoying the comic book flavor of it from start to finish. John Lennon had said that Help! made them feel like "extras" in their own movie..I totally disagree with his assessment. The plot clearly centered around them (okay, Ringo) and was beautifully supported by some very brilliant actors of that time.

AHDN would probably not have worked as well had it been made with any other four individuals...but while The Beatles inevitably and naturally made ANY movie experience an additional pleasure due to who they were at that point in time, Help! would still have been a fun movie if another set of four unorthodox, young guys were in their place.

mrjinks, dangiedr and jeatleboe like this.
  9. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Well, with Leo McKern and Victor Spinelli clearly having fun, "Bee-AT-les", the film is a blast.

10. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

John: What are you doing on the floor?

Ringo: I'm tired.

Darryl

Mike Bass and forthlin like this.
  11. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

Has anyone checked the wash basin? How do we know you're not just as filthy and sent by Clang to nick the ring by being filthy while you've lulled us with your filthy Eastern ways?

12. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

And the film was in colour: green.

xilef regnu and forthlin like this.
  13. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I can still remember the day I went to see Help! on opening day at the movies! WOW! 50 friggin years!

audiomixer likes this.
  14. linclink

I'm still crazy about "A Hard Day's Night", but I too prefer "Help!" & think it's just amazing!!

15. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

I love that.

16. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

17. ronm

ronm audiofreak

I was thinking about this movie today and was wondering what it was like to attend the opening day at the movies.I mean was there any hoopla? a ton of girls? I'm 54 so I still remember the older movie theatres before the multiplex cinemas came to being so I imagine the lines and people waiting to get in back in '65.I watched this movie for the first time on vhs back in the late 80s I believe and then when the restored version came out.Loved the music and the rich colors of the film.That quality of the film and the sound is what reminded me of the people that saw this for the first time back in '65.

18. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

I missed out on all the hoopla when HDN and Help made their premiere. Hell, I was only 5 and 6! But.....I went to see Hard Day's Night at a small theater uptown and there was a buzz in the place. A few still had their original tickets when the movie came out. What a night.

19. ronm

ronm audiofreak

Your like me.Not quite old enough to experience the first time.Surprised to see people that held on to their original tickets.Wonder if they had the name of the movie on the tickets.Something you don't see know.Oh how times have changed.Lots of great music on this film and very good sound through a surround setup.

20. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

I did not see Help! upon opening but maybe a week or two after. The girls in the audience still screamed during the performance bits. In Chicago. It was electric to see it on the big screen. Around late 1971 some theaters started playing all 4 Beatle feature films as an evening showcase. Went to that a few times and brought people not familiar with the Fabs. Watched the films in chronological order. Usually with an illegal smile.

21. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

One of the tickets I saw had A Hard Day's Night. It was a picture type ticket from 1964. That night when I went, they also had a panel discussion with Bruce Spizer and a few other Beatles experts. Always enjoy seeing Bruce. Sure knows his stuff.

22. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

it was marvelous...yes, the screaming was crazy as if they were live in the theater! great times back then...I was so excited to see them on the BIG SCREEN!

ronm likes this.
  23. ronm

ronm audiofreak

There is a lot of great songs on "Help".To me this is where the Beatles really started to gel.

24. 905

905 Senior Member

Probably their best film that was in color.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.