New Paypal interface

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by hvbias, Jul 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic Thread Starter

What do people think of the new Paypal interface when you log in? This might not be new to everyone, I guess there was an option to enroll in it a while ago, but now it's defaulting to the new one.

2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I click on Classic Site, since I hate change, and stupid ass modern graphics.

3. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

4. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

No big deal. Things change. Time marches on.

5. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

Part of it has to do with the fold in of Bill Me Later, which I have been utilizing due to their 6 months free credit for stuff over $99.00.

6. gillcup

gillcup Senior Member

One thing I don't like is when paying in foreign currency, they don't show you how much you are going to be charged in USD. The email you receive later does show the USD amount, but I'd like to see that before I click "send money".

Also, I really hate the video on the log in screen. I know you can pause it, but it's still really annoying. I hope this isn't a trend for all web sites.

7. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

I was purchasing an item last month that was for a total of £120.00 and some converter with up and down arrows on PayPal popped and I was able to pay exactly the amount needed.
    It explained the conversion rate and worked really well. Not sure how I found it as it just materialized.

8. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

Lipstick on a horribly run and untrustworthy pig.

slipkid likes this.
  9. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I've enjoyed the new photography / video which I have seen for a month or so. They had a guy putting on a mono Blonde on Blonde on a nice table, did you see that one? Paypal is telling me they know I'm into vinyl a little bit. Not a good feeling really.

And the user interface look and layout which just changed a week ago I don't like much. But I'm sure it will look better to my eyes after getting used to it. I've fine with the video because I love the way it's shot. I'm into photography and videography. And the look here is toned way down from the business look of most financial websites. The low lighting looks natural and relaxed, and interesting use of depth of field. One has a guy picking up a package from the kitchen table. You never see the faces. It's all about things you do at home sweet home and a few outings. I wonder how many of these shot films were produced, and just how targeted they are to your purchases and buying habits.

10. eurekaiv

eurekaiv Active Member

I find everything they're doing to be a dramatic improvement over the 15 year old site they were running for the last 15 years. The way people access websites has changed dramatically in recent years and PayPal needed to adjust. Larger text sizes, simpler interface, quicker process to send money, mobile friendly... all things the new website seems good at to me. Now if they could just fix the mobile app to allow selection of a shipping address other than the default.

11. Manos

Manos Forum Resident

I guess I never see this page because I enter from an eBay page. That interface, though, has become a minefield. I am asked if I want to order using the same details as my previous order. If I say yes, I don't have to log in. It's enticing to complete the purchase with less steps, but a careful reading of the screen shows the deceit--the payment source has been switched. I always switch payment from the default Bank option to the Credit Card option, so I know my last order was always by Credit. Now take a look at the quick purchase screen; it defaults to Bank order no matter your actual previous order details. This is not ethical.

12. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Manos, that's the way eBay has been doing it for years.

I recall that using a credit card was not an option at all if you had any balance in the account.

I like if you wanted to pay for an eBay item and you had 5.60 in you account. Say item costs 10.60. I could not do 5.60 from balance and remainder credit card, the only option for the remainder was bank account transfer.

So the only way to pay for the item and select credit card was to first spend the 5.60 on anything and. Lean out that bit of change there.

This is really the runaround that they give you.

Another way that they get you is to not offer you any options where you are at a credit card terminal at a store with your paypal card. I think you must go the long way around to get to sect credit card funding for the purchase.

One just has to know the way around paypal and not let them tell you where your money is.

Outsmart them, and keep no money in that account unless you are leaving some little amount to cover your paypal fees.

13. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

But don't you lose the classic screen each time you go somewhere else?

I can look at my summary in the classic fashion, for example - but if I go to send someone money, etc. it automatically changes to the new look. Am I missing a trick or two?

14. Myke

My experience is a consistent change, everywhere on the site.

15. Myke

Trying this just now, I was wrong, it does change back each time. It's so unimportant to me, I forgot that. I never retain pointless information, why should I ? I'm always fascinated by people on a computer talking about how many clicks it takes them to get somewhere.
    Clicks.
    Wow, how exhausting. :laugh:

16. eurekaiv

eurekaiv Active Member

In the "ecommerce" biz, extra clicks often correlate directly to lost revenue.

17. shirtandtie

shirtandtie Forum Resident

PayPal is officially garbage now. They're forcing you to use their "new look" when sending money and the options are limited. I used to copy and paste a seller's email ID into the field but the interface won't let you do that now! The classic look is still there if you want it on your account page, but not when you click "send money!"

If anybody knows how to switch this back or if you even can, PUHLEEEASE enlighten! :shrug:

18. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

I sent money to someone the other day and was surprised when the recipient emailed me shortly thereafter asking for my shipping address, as it had apparently not appeared anywhere on the notification he received from PayPal. The new interface is yet another example of someone trying to "fix" something that wasn't broken.

19. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Is there anywhere you can keep it from defaulting to the new interface (ie keep classic look through every page).

Darryl

20. shirtandtie

shirtandtie Forum Resident

That's what I want to know!

I emailed PayPal about this and the response I got was canned and way off topic. Useless.

21. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I hate it. Took me awhile to figure out how to "request" a transfer to my bank account. Have to go to some stupid "wallet" thing. Once again ebay/paypal (yes I do know they are separate now) makes yet another unnecessary "improvement" which is actually worse than what was already there.

22. tman53

tman53 Vinyl is an Addiction

Paypal support is a joke. I have not be able to use a credit card I have linked to my account in months. I called them and they were clueless.

23. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Just tried this again. it just keeps on defaulting to the new interface when you go back to summary.
    No way that I know of to change the default settings back to classic.
    Couldn't find it on my profile page.
    Maybe Paypal thinks will just give up on it.

Darryl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.