Great edited single versions of long tracks

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Piiijiii, Nov 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thecdguy

thecdguy Forum Resident

What CD was it? The pic isn't coming up on my screen. I asked about the single version of "Fame" last year on the Single Versions thread I started, and I believe someone replied it was on the "Have A Nice Decade" Rhino Box Set and the single disc New Millennium Classic Rock Party.

2. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

[​IMG]

3. thecdguy

thecdguy Forum Resident

That's what I figured. I'm surprised they didn't put "Fame"'s single version on The Singles 1969-1993 (considering the title, you'd expect it to be on there). I guess they had their reasons.

4. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Back in the 80s and 90s, a lot of producers thought that it was a waste of time to put single versions on CD. In other cases, the tapes hadn't been located.

5. Harold R

Harold R Forum Resident

Green Eyed Lady - Sugarloaf

6. Beattles

Beattles Senior Member

Copied from a previous post (OP Unknown):
    Edgar Winter's "Frankenstein" two edits for 45 release; the better-known one on Epic 5-10967 is the second. The first, edited a tad differently and sans the (truncated) synthesizer break, was issued as the flip of the first issue of "Hangin' Around" on Epic 5-10945

7. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Freshly YT'd :D
    Syntax-Bliss 2003 Promo Edit

8. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

Stevie Wonder - Isn't She Lovely

9. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident

I'm not terribly bothered by the acoustic intro being cut from the single version of "American Woman". In the car (where one is most likely hearing single edits), it's barely audible.

10. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

There was a single version of The Smiths "Barbarism Begins At Home". It is a cool groove but the album version drags on for about 7 minutes. The single is much shorter.

11. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

There are a lot of single edits I prefer to the album versions. I was a child of 1970s Top 40 radio, and the seventies was THE decade of bloated album cuts.

"Love to Love You Baby" by Donna Summer has (at least) three single versions; my preferred edit is the almost five-minute "Side AA" from the remixed Oasis 45.

"Take It to the Limit" by the Eagles has the repeated section edited significantly, and it's not merely an early fade. It's tighter than the LP version at the end, thus a better single.

"Rhiannon" by Fleetwood Mac has a hotter mix with what sounds like an additional guitar overdub (or maybe it's on the LP version but buried in the mix) and some additional backing vocals near the end - plus the extended "Dreams unwind, love's a state of mind" ending that is already fading on the LP version. The cut in the 45 was of the guitar solo as the album version is winding down.

12. tim_neely

The original single mix of "Dream On" by Aerosmith, from 1973, had some rearranging done. The verse "Sing women, sing for the years" (at least that's what it has sounded like to me since Day 1; lyrics on the web say "Sing with me" but I don't hear it) was sung after the first verse as well as the second, making it the de facto chorus (the "I know nobody knows" verse was deleted entirely). The single also has other edits, and wordless background vocals were overdubbed.

When the song became a hit in 1976, the album version was the 45.

13. Leigh Burne

Leigh Burne Forum Resident

"I Want to Break Free" by Queen and "The Reflex" by Duran Duran both have far better single remixes when compared to the album cuts.

14. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Tim, has this edited version ever made it to CD?

15. thecdguy

thecdguy Forum Resident

No commercially released CD's that I know of, but it's on one of those TM Century promo CD's.

16. tim_neely

I don't think so. Very few, if any, Eagles single edits have. The "Lyin' Eyes" edit might be on CD somewhere, but I'm not even sure of that.

17. Chris C

Thanks guys! I have some of those TM Century discs in my collection and I used to have most all of them A/C format wise, when I was at my last radio job. I'll have to see if I can get one of old radio pals up there to look for it for me and I'll burn a copy of it for my collection!

thecdguy likes this.
  18. Chris C

thecdguy likes this.
  19. thecdguy

thecdguy Forum Resident

I know the single version of "One Of These Nights" is on one of those, too. Been trying to find that one for awhile.

20. Chris C

It's on Disc 914, according to the web!

thecdguy likes this.
  21. thecdguy

thecdguy Forum Resident

Thanks! Those tend to be hard to find. There was one that had a 4 minute radio edit of Peter Gabriel's "Sledgehammer" that I've been trying to find ever since the song came out, and that was 30 years ago!

22. Umbari

Umbari Strange Member

But sometimes it's fun to listen to an edited version :D

Piiijiii and thecdguy like this.
  23. thecdguy

thecdguy Forum Resident

Especially if it's the version you grew up listening to.

Piiijiii and Umbari like this.
  24. Umbari

Umbari Strange Member

Yeah, but in my case when I'm bored with the long version of a song, I listen to the edited version :D

25. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Stevie Wonder

"Isn't She Lovely"
    "As"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.