Rolling Stones: 60's or 70's

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Baba Oh Really, Jul 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

Agreed, but I wonder if M.T. got to call any more shots than Ronnie has?

2. Pinstripedclips

Pinstripedclips Forum Resident

One could argue that where as Ronnie had bad luck with regards to timing, Taylor lucked out with regards to timing.

The band was on a roll towards continued greatness regardless of who replaced Brian.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
    fallbreaks likes this.
  3. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Yes, Taylor lucked out in the sense that Mick Jagger and Keith Richard were at their songwriting peak and also by the fact that they were already big stars ready to take it to the next level in terms of popularity. But Taylor contributed so many classic lead guitar solos that he must be given credit for helping to shape their sound in their peak years. In fact, , if I recall, Taylor was put out by the fact that he didn't receive songwriting credits on some songs he really felt he was involved in as more than a mere "contributor." So, he really didn't get to call the shots, and that was the main reason he left.
    Ironically, Ron Wood has received a few actual songwriting credits with Jagger-Richards over the years.

Coricama and danielbravo like this.
  4. Pinstripedclips

Taylor sure made an impression on the music, but it's clear that the stones were well on their way to sounding much like they did during 1969 - 1972 anyway.

danielbravo likes this.
  5. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

'60s easily for me.

Outside-Looking In and brucifer like this.
  6. brucifer

brucifer Well-Known Member

Sixties for me without a doubt. I thought they lost a little of their magic after Exile On Main St., although they continued to produce the occasional gem.

Jimmy B. and Pinstripedclips like this.
  7. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

1968-1972

8. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Love both, but I probably play the 70's stuff more.

9. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

As much as I love the Stones in the 70s I'm voting 60s because they had way too many classic singles and other signature songs during the 60s, even if they were at the tail end. yes, the 70s has Sticky Fingers, Exile and Some Girls, as well as some good stuff from Goats Head Soup and IORR, but the 60s has Beggars, Let it Bleed, and all those other tracks on Hot Rocks that aren't on those albums. Exile may be the best album ever, but Hot Rocks may be the best Best of Collection ever and both "70s tracks" off it, were recorded in 69 (Brown Sugar and Wild Horses) so that sort of takes some weight away from Sticky Fingers in this poll for me.

10. Pinstripedclips

Sugar and horses feature overdubs from 1970 though. ^

Sticky also features Sister morphine and You Gotta Move from 1969. Possible overdubs from 1970 on morphine.

11. EndOfTheRainbow

EndOfTheRainbow I Want To See the Bright Lights Tonight

60s, just a lot more of the great stuff, but early 70s is right up there as well, not so much later 70s....

12. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I read that the version of Salt Of The Earth from the Rock and Roll Circus was the album backing track with live vocals from Mick and Keith.

13. monotubevibe

monotubevibe Forum Resident

I used to be one of those people who said "I like the Stones, but only the 60's stuff". Then I work in a record store with a guy who was a Stones fanatic. He played Goats Head Soup almost everyday. So I changed my view to "I like the Stones through the Mick Taylor years". I said that to him once and he almost punched me. He started playing me Black And Blue, Some Girls and Emotional Rescue. I was too scared of him at that point to diss on the post 80's Stones :ignore: (A decade later we played a Stones tribute show together, it was fun to make it full circle.)

I wore out my first run 2002 ABKCO SACD collection of Stones albums on my first SACD player. Love them all, especially Now!, Between The Buttons and Let It Bleed. I also have mono vinyl of all the 60's albums, both US and UK. And a 31 disc russian bootleg set of all the 60's albums, US and UK with bonus tracks that goes through Sticky Fingers.

On any given day, I'll grab a 70's album by the Stones if I want to hear some great rock 'n roll. Trying to put together my 70's collection on CD these days. Have all the albums on vinyl, but still learning about CBS vs. Virgin. Had a CBS copy of Emotional Rescue in my hands a few weeks ago but put it back because it was only $5 and the store had a $10 credit card limit. Haven't been sleeping well since then. CBS copies of Black And Blue and Emotional Rescue are at the top of my wish list right now. In the old days I would have just ordered the SHM-SACD versions, but I've been enjoying the used CD hunt as it's become harder with less stores in these times, and folks on this forum seem to think the CBS later 70's albums sound great.

Voted 70's without thinking about it. I love their 60's stuff, but can't believe they followed it up with an output as strong as the 70's.

RogerB likes this.
  14. Pinstripedclips

It is, I mean't I prefer the live, raw and shorter YCAGWYW to the studio vesion. :)

15. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Ah ok.

Pinstripedclips likes this.
  16. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

I like their 80s work too:

Emotional Rescue
    Tattoo You
    Undercover
    Dirty Work
    Steel Wheels

I also like She's the Boss and Talk is Cheap. I grew up on this stuff, with their classic 60s/70s work already under my belt.

monotubevibe likes this.
  17. strummer101

strummer101 The insane on occasion aren't without their charms

I was also born in '59, and yes the songs one bought, heard, discussed with friends, and played the first air guitar accompaniment with has a strong emotional and sentimental resonance. I have always felt the 60's Stones were a singles band (a cliche at this point, but :shrug:), and to this day cannot connect with any of their full albums before 1969, though I've tried, repeatedly. But what great singles! A lot of the early period album cuts seem tentative to me, and the real early stuff...I'd rather listen to the Pretty Things. But those 70s albums...man. The debauchery, grit, swing and sway lit a teens hormones on fire! Yeah, even It's Only Rock and Roll.

In which decade were they "better"? Pfft, dunno, don't care. I just know I have a special attachment to the 70's Stones.

Gotta disagree on Emotional Rescue though. Not for me. But that was 1980, so I'm good.

lee59 likes this.
  18. danielbravo

danielbravo Senior Member

60's! but for a sentimental and personal reasons. My firsts vinyl of The Rolling Stones ! I bought them starting from their first album until complete the entire 60's series with Let It Bleed and Get Yer Ya Ya´s Out (both American versions as English and some German and Dutch Lps, eps, singles and compilations) these were my core albums form The Rolling Stones for a long time.
    In those years they were incredibly good as a Band !

I like all their albums form the 70's until Some Girls, but their albums of the 60's are a special pleasure for me.

19. FredV

FredV Senior Member

I prefer the Stones from the 1960's period, though I do enjoy some of their songs from the 70's and a few from the 80's and 90's.

20. John Grimes

John Grimes Forum Resident

They are both great eras. The sixties were arguably more consistent.

21. Boris number 9

Boris number 9 Forum Resident

Tough question. I went with 70s

22. gillcup

gillcup Senior Member

I picked 60's due to the strength of Beggar's Banquet, Let It Bleed, singles like Jumpin' Jack Flash, Paint It Black and Play With Fire.

23. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

60's easily. Too much mediocre stuff in the 70's.

24. Baba Oh Really

Baba Oh Really Certified "Forum Favorite" Thread Starter

So... what bothers you about them then: the fact that the songs
    Both cover albums? We both know that's not entirely true. Especially in the case of "Now".

25. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

Both...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.