Peter Gabriel vinyl re-releases in October?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by keiron99, Jul 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

He certainly has. He commented on their sound back when they first came out.

2. Scott Wheeler

No. This has been reported a few times in head to head comparisons between master tapes and vinyl cut from those same tapes.

lightbulb likes this.
  3. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

For the lower priced bundles

Put in your info
    In the upper right change the crrency to UK # or Euros

Save a bunch

It didn't work yesterday afternoon
    Then was back up later
    Maybe they are working on the currency issue

4. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

I just ordered all six of them at Amazon.de

5. Carl Hoffmann

Carl Hoffmann Senior Member

Thanks!! Following this advice finally did the trick. Set to Sterling the bundle came out to 58.33 pounds = $91,14. Even cheaper then when set to Euro.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
    audiotom likes this.
  6. R E Faust

R E Faust Forum Resident

Just managed to order the bundle at petergabriel.com ...seems it is in stock again, but for how long is anyone's guess,
    R E

7. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Damn right. No thanks.

Static Discharge likes this.
  8. Darrin Crawford

Darrin Crawford Forum Resident

Yes, I am not thrilled of flipping every 10 minutes either BUT the sound will be stellar. Also, since I started re-collecting vinyl almost a year ago these have been on my list and have been wanting the Classic Records versions so this in turn will save me a ton of money. I am just hoping Live is reissued as well.
    Just pre-ordered mine. Let's hope there are no surprises with the cost. $118.54CDN in.

9. Carl Hoffmann

Please explain to me how any type of playback can sound even a little better than it's source. That notion really seems to defy logic.

10. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

If the vinyl playback system is superior to the source's then the vinyl will sound better assuming they're the same.

It's the same reason the 2015 Rush remasters sound better to me on vinyl than they do as high-res audio. My vinyl playback system is far superior than my digital frontend. Not to mention some people like the colorations inherent to vinyl due to mastering/cutting limitations.

Ben Adams likes this.
  11. Carl Hoffmann

Huh? I get what you are saying, but I thought we were talking about the master tape as the source here. Not understanding how the vinyl could sound better than the master .

12. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Better is subjective. Vinyl playback adds colorations that are more pleasing to hear than the "naked" master tape for some people.

marblesmike likes this.
  13. Scott Wheeler

Euphonic colorations. Mastering moves that fix problems in the original recording...

FashionBoy, marblesmike and AnalogJ like this.
  14. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Yes, and digital adds artifacts which are are annoying to some people, not to mention robbing the music of rhythmic flow.

15. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Okay... My comment was not a jab at vinyl.

I like both analog and digital, they both have their strengths and weaknesses. I work with both.

marblesmike and AnalogJ like this.
  16. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I'm going to be strong, strong I say.

But only because I'm mainly a digital guy. Now, if these do come out on just 96/24, well??????

17. Gary7704

Gary7704 Chasing that sound….

For those of us lucky enough to have listened to the play back of a 24 or 32 track master in a studio, we know how great that can sound. I have also heard some great sounding home systems (both digital and vinyl) that have come close to being in the studio.

I just hope the sound on these releases is enough to make me go wow. That's all.

18. TokenGesture

TokenGesture Forum Resident

Well... I buy them :righton:

JeffMo likes this.
  19. stem

stem Forum Resident

But remember you also get the hi rez download with the vinyl.
    My guess would be the price for an equivalent bundle of just the downloads (which probably will appear for sale at some stage) wouldn't be much less than the current price for the vinyl bundle which includes the downloads in the price.

JeffMo and Scott Wheeler like this.
  20. JustinBond

JustinBond Forum Resident

I'd pay Neil Young prices for those.

JeffMo and Mazzy like this.
  21. Carl Hoffmann

I think this helps me understand things a bit better. So if the vinyl sounds better than the re-mastering (or original master tape) one would have to assume that this was due to a deliberate attempt by the mastering engineer to use the vinyl medium to make further mastering decisions "colorations" to the music. Thus, the vinyl becomes just another step in the mastering process, whereas the mastering chain essentially ends a step earlier for digital?

22. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

I'm assuming he's talking about the mastering process, which in theory can improve upon the flat master with some adjustments to help musicality. Some masters sound awesome, but many need a bit of help or were finished with a final mastering process in mind.

Back on topic, I have the Classic reissues of '2' and '3' (his absolute masterpiece IMHO), but missed out on getting my other PG faves '4' and 'So'. However, I just can't justify spending this kind of money on these LPs. Shame they're only doing a 45rpm issue. I really dislike this trend. More hassle and expense for a slight sonic improvement.

dan c

latheofheaven likes this.
  23. Guss2

Guss2 Senior Member

I paid just over $23 each for these, so price is very reasonable if you ask me. Now getting up every 10 minutes to flip the record, that's another issue. Gary

AnalogJ likes this.
  24. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Agreed here. How many single LPs are priced at more than $25 per!? So $23, including shipping, is potentially a bargoon if these things sound great. Whether it's too much of a hassle for you to get up and down every 10-12 minutes is another story. I listen to 12" singles, and that's worse.

lightbulb likes this.
  25. Darrin Crawford

Darrin Crawford Forum Resident

I think the key words here are "may" and "at times". He didn't say they all sound better. It may depend on the track itself..not the whole album as a totality. He's basically saying it will be as close if not the same as the masters. I get what he's saying.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.