ShopGoodwill.com as a source for used vinyl and CDs

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by PaulKTF, Jul 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

http://www.shopgoodwill.com is the site where Goodwill stores put up their used vinyl and CDs (and a lot of other stuff too, of course). Thought you guys would want to know about it. :)

Mr. H likes this.
  2. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Thanks! I see Goodwill selling stuff on Amazon and eBay too. One thing I notice about their sales there is that the grading is almost always low - either Good or Acceptable - and their descriptions of the condition of items is always generic. So you really never know what you're getting. Could be mint condition, or could be beat to h*ll. But based on their condition grading, it's a real crapshoot.

3. Wayne Hubbard

Wayne Hubbard Forum Resident

4. PaulKTF

5. FastForward

FastForward Forum Resident

Exorbitant shipping.
    Ridiculous handling fees.
    Poor descriptions.
    Poor grading of items.
    Incredibly poor customer service.
    No returns.

No thanks.

6. PaulKTF

No returns- well yeah, they're Goodwill stores. What are you expecting? The CDs I've ordered were all graded properly and honestly. Handling fees were reasonable as were shipping fees.

fluffskul likes this.
  7. FastForward

You can return items to goodwill retail stores. Additional handling fees are never reasonable, IMO, it's just padding the profit. Keep in mind, Goodwill is a FOR PROFIT corporation. Your experience was different than mine, just post that, don't attack my experience.

8. Aquatarkus

Aquatarkus Active Member

Goodwill is a thrift store and thrift stores operate a certain way. Then they go in this direction and want to be eBay/Amazon/Craigslist while keeping the policies and standards of a thrift store. Goodwill seems to want it both ways and it can't. Either you're a thrift store or you aren't. People don't go there to buy high priced items and especially with thrift store policies. I understand they want to maximize profits but this seems to be at the expense of customers.

9. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

Goodwill is a 501c not for profit organization and recognized as such by the US government. You wouldn't be able to write off a donation to a FOR PROFIT corporation!

10. FastForward

I think you should do more research on how the not-for-profit corporations operate. 501C(3) simply means they don't have to pay taxes because they are a "charitable organization" under the guidelines of a massive loophole in tax law. The hospital I work at is a not-for-profit corporation that earned $181 million in profits in 2014. Goodwill made much, much more than that, using "substandard minimum" wage law as a tool. When your CEO makes $725,000 a year, you're FOR PROFIT.

Citation:"According to data obtained from the U.S. Department of Labor’s Wage and Hour Division, 109 of 165 Goodwill entities in North America employ workers through the Special Wage Certificate program, which grants the nonprofits the right to pay subminimum wages to people with disabilities. Goodwill says that 7,300 of its 105,000 employees are subject to the special minimum wage exemption."

And the really sad part is that our tax dollars actually pay for much of what Goodwill actually does for the disabled- the government subsidizes a large portion of Goodwill programs with tax money. In 2012, Goodwill earned $4.89 BILLION in profits, the majority of which came from retail stores sales. Easy to do when the product you sell is something you get for free, you pay employees 20 cents an hour and never have to pay any taxes.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-hrabe/the-worst-corporation-in-_b_1876905.html

So think about all that as you State that Goodwill as a not-for-profit company. On paper, yes- in reality, not even close.

11. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

All the CDs I've purchased from them were in great shape and shipped quickly.

12. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

Looks like a lot of the same stuff I see when I go to the local Goodwill store...except in the store the CDs are a dollar apiece and online they're $4.49 and up.

13. joshranwest

joshranwest Member

Used it and had great luck.....so far

14. Vincent3

Vincent3 Forum Resident

I've gotten some great CDs at my local Goodwill. Yesterday, I bought four. Unfortunately, I've also come across many that were so torn up that they couldn't have been playable. I haven't ordered anything from their online store.

15. No Static

No Static Gain Rider

I wouldn't buy music from Goodwill sight unseen. As a collector that's just silly. But it's fun to go there sometimes. Remember , no matter what you think about how they run their organization, they serve a worthy purpose. Look around next time you're there; it ain't music collectors. If you find a deal that's bonus.

16. PaulKTF

I'm not a collector for value- I'm a collector for listening. :)

ARK likes this.
  17. No Static

No Static Gain Rider

That too. < thumbs up >

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.