Paul McCartney Archive Collection - Tug Of War & Pipes Of Peace coming! (Part Two)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by daveidmarx, Feb 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

I remember the original newspaper articles with Jojo and Denny flinging muck at Macca, it was nasty, but I can't help think that it was mostly Jojo's doing and Denny was just dragged into it for her benefit more than his. I've got to think Denny is, by and large, a decent fellow from what I've read, seen and heard.

2. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

Completely agree. I think "easily manipulated" might be the appropriate way to put it. Hopefully Paul knows this.

edenofflowers likes this.
  3. AndyNicks

AndyNicks Forum Resident

I agree totally. Padgham really ripped Paul after the Press To Play album. I guess Paul doesn't mind Living and Let Live after all.

[​IMG]

theMess likes this.
  4. leeroy jenkins

leeroy jenkins Forum Resident

I always assumed he saw Denver in the audience. That was the only night on the tour that he name checks Denver and if I recall correctly, it was recorded in LA the last date on the tour so there were a bunch of celebs in the crowd.

AppleCorp3 likes this.
  5. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

Spot on!

6. SoilyCompany76

SoilyCompany76 Forum Resident

Ah I can't bash Denny. Sure he may of done stupid things in his past but who hasn't.

I actually had the pleasure to talk with Denny for a good while at To Sir With Love (Abbey Road On the River event) while a rather crappy Beatles tribute took the stage and nobody was interested that Denny was sitting around for a meet & greet. He was very humble and I got an autograph. One of the things I remember well was him being shocked when I said that "I Would Only Smile" is one of my favorite songs. Mostly at the mere fact I knew it. If you ever get the chance to meet the man do so.

7. bagofsoup

bagofsoup Forum Resident

Pasting my Denny story from another thread. (I hope that's ok).

Denny was backstage at a show at which we were both performing (me warming up the crowd as part of an acoustic trio, Denny as a featured performer with the main band). I had met him in passing once or twice before, and I didn't think that he'd recognize me, but prior to the show, just outside the green room, he walked right up to me and my son and asked how we were doing tonight. After a few minutes of friendly chatting, I asked if my son could take a photo with him, and assumed I'd let him go after the picture. My son then asked Denny a question about if he still had his double neck SG from the Wings Over America tour (he does, as I recall). With that, he sat with us in the green room for a good half hour over dinner. He was incredibly gracious and charming, and I honestly walked away feeling he had as nice a time as we did.

Really great guy.

8. SoilyCompany76

SoilyCompany76 Forum Resident

Sorry to bump this back up but this is very interesting. Do you have any more information on this? Mostly with what parts of "Kiss Me Now" were used. I guess this expalins the 1980s George Martin orchestration sound..

9. Yorick

Yorick Senior Member

Tug Of War: Archive Edition
    Release date: October 2, 2015 (Oct 3 in USA)

Tug of War will not only be made available as a Deluxe edition, but also as a SUPER Deluxe edition, limited to 1,000 copies worldwide.

Disc 1 (All tracks: Remixed 2015):
    1. Tug Of War
    2. Take It Away
    3. Somebody Who Cares
    4. What's That You're Doing?
    5. Here Today
    6. Ballroom Dancing
    7. The Pound Is Sinking
    8. Wanderlust
    9. Get It
    10. Be What You See (Link)
    11. Dress Me Up As A Robber
    12. Ebony And Ivory
    Playing time: 41:10

Disc 2 (All tracks: Original mix. Remastered 2015):
    1. Tug Of War
    2. Take It Away
    3. Somebody Who Cares
    4. What's That You're Doing?
    5. Here Today
    6. Ballroom Dancing
    7. The Pound Is Sinking
    8. Wanderlust
    9. Get It
    10. Be What You See (Link)
    11. Dress Me Up As A Robber
    12. Ebony And Ivory
    Disc 3 (All tracks: Remastered 2015):
    1. Stop, You Don't Know Where She Came From (Demo)
    2. Wanderlust (Demo)
    3. Ballroom Dancing(Demo)
    4. Take It Away (Demo)
    5. The Pound Is Sinking (Demo)
    6. Something That Didn't Happen (Demo)
    7. Ebony And Ivory (Demo)
    8. Dress Me Up As a Robber / Robber Riff (Demo)
    9. Ebony And Ivory (Solo Version) (Previously only released on the 12" vinyl single in 1982)
    10. Rainclouds (Previously released as the B-side to "Ebony And Ivory")
    11. I'll Give You A Ring (Previously released as B-side to the "Take It Away" single)
    Playing time: 36:00

DVD:
    1. Bonus film
    2. Tug of war (Music video version 1)
    3. Tug of war (Music video version 2)
    4. Take it away (Music video)
    5. Ebony & Ivory (Music video)
    6. Fly TIA – Behind the scenes of Take it away (18 minutes documentary)

Recorded from October 1980 to December 1981 with George Martin producing, the project was interrupted by the death of John Lennon. New recording sessions 3 February to 2 March on Montserrat in George Martin's Air Studio with Stevie Wonder, Carl Perkins, Stanley Clarke and Ringo Starr. Recording sessions then continued at George Martin's Air Studios in London.

Formats:
    1. Standard. 2 CD (remixed and bonus)
    2. Deluxe. 3 CD (remixed, original, bonus) + DVD + 112 pages book and 64 pages scrapbook. Includes Hi-Res download of CD 1 & 3
    3. Super deluxe. like 2) + acrylic box and 5 hand numbered photos 8”x10” from Linda McCartney's archives. Limited to 1.000 copies (worldwide).
    4. Vinyl. 2 LP remixed and bonus includes high quality mp3 of CD 1 & 3
    5. Download standard-res (remixed) no e-book
    6. Download standard-res (remixed) includes e-book
    7. Download standard-res (remixed) (mastered for iTunes) no e-book
    8. Download Hi-res (remixed) 24 bit 96kHz includes e-book
    9. Download standard- res (remixed & bonus) no e-book
    10. Download standard- res (remixed & bonus) includes e-book
    11. Download standard- res (remixed & bonus) (mastered for iTunes) includes e-book
    12. Download Hi- res (remixed & bonus) 24 bit unlimited includes e-book

A radio special has been produced, as well as a video film. Also, "Take it away" (single edit) (2015 remaster) will be used in some way, perhaps as a download from PaulMcCartney.com.

Pipes of Peace: Archive edition
    Release date: October 2, 2015 (Oct 3 in USA)

Disc 1 (All tracks: Remastered 2015)
    1. Pipes of peace
    2. Say say say
    3. The other me
    4. Keep under cover
    5. So bad
    6. The man
    7. Sweetest little show
    8. Average person
    9. Hey hey
    10. Tug of peace
    11. Through our love
    Playing time: 38.58

Disc 2 (Bonus CD)
    1. Average person (Demo)
    2. Keep under cover (Demo)
    3. Sweetest little show (Demo)
    4. It’s not on (Demo)
    5. Simple as that (Demo)
    6. Say say say (New 2015 remix)
    7. Ode to a kola bear (B-side of the "Say say say" single)
    8. Twice in a lifetime (Bonus from the 1993 CD, a title song from a movie)
    9. Christian bop
    Playing time: 32:00

DVD:
    1. Bonus film (26 minutes)
    2. Pipes of peace (Music video)
    3. So bad (Music video)
    4. Say say say (Music video)
    5. Hey hey in Montserrat (Home video 3 minutes)
    6. Behind the scenes at AIR (6 minutes)
    7. The man (Home video 4 minutes)

The recording sessions started during the previous album, "Tug of War" and continued in September-October 1982 and February-July 1983.

Paul has remixed Say Say Say in a 2015 version. A completely new video without neither Paul nor Michael Jackson has been made, but is not yet ready for publication.

Formats:
    1. Standard. 2 CD (remaster and bonus)
    2. Deluxe. 2 CD (remaster, bonus) + DVD + 112 pages book and 64 pages book about the Pipes of peace music video. Includes Hi-Res download of cd 1 & 3
    3. Vinyl. 2 LP remaster and bonus, includes high quality mp3 of the CDs
    4. Download standard-res (remastered) no e-book
    5. Download standard-res (remaster) includes e-book
    6. Download standard-res (remaster) (mastered for iTunes) includes e-book
    7. Download Hi-res (remaster) 24 bit 96kHz includes e-book
    8. Download standard- res (remaster & bonus) no e-book
    9. Download standard- res (remaster & bonus) includes e-book
    10. Download Hi- res (remaster & bonus) 24 bit unlimited includes e-book

In some way, "Say say say" (12" single mix), "Say say say" (instrumental) and "Simple as that" will be used, possibly as downloads from PaulMcCartney.com

A Radio special has been produced.

Source: WogBlog

10. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

Danish Fanclub "Beatles Again", has just posted details on both releases.
    Press release comes later today.

Can't copy the details, but TOW has a super deluxe with remixed, original, bonus and dvd. No remixes.
    POP has a super deluxe with remaster, bonus and dvd. No original remixes.

There will be promos of both releases with some of the remixes and edit's included.

Bonus tracks on POP is demo's of Average Person, Keep Under Cover, Sweetest Little Show, It's Not On and Simple As That. A new remix of Say Say Say. Ode To A Koala Bear. Twice In A Lifetime. Christian Bop.
    Simple As That (original), will most likely be available as a download from PM.com

She is anyway and JLPMacca like this.
  11. Thrillington

Thrillington McCartney Scholar

Ah so there is a third disc on the Tug of War deluxe...:doh:

And limited super deluxe? How much more money do you want Paulie? And as much as I love the website freebies, they need to be either in higher resolution or available on the deluxe.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
    TheCatInSatinTrousers and Paul H like this.
  12. funkydude

funkydude Forum Resident

Hmm, don't know if I want to spend any money on that one. I guess I'll go with the standard editions (album + bonus disc) for both then.

13. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

Amazon.com also has a listing for a Pipes Of Peace super deluxe set at $219.99, but as yet no listing for the traditional book style Deluxe set (unless I've missed it)

14. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

No additional music/DVD content in the Super Deluxe Edition of TOW according to the info above, just a box and some photos. That would leave me with no dilemma in ordering "just" the regular Deluxe edition.

sgtpppr84 likes this.
  15. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

But just think of the resale value. You could swap it for a copy of Hope (Thrash)...

She is anyway likes this.
  16. funkydude

funkydude Forum Resident

Now for me it all depends on if the 2015 Remix of Tug of War is an attempt to mimic the original mix as closely as possible, or if it's really a new "new" Remix. If it's the former, the bonus disc of the Deluxe Edition is kinda pointless. If it's the latter, then I would consider buying the Deluxe Edition to have both mixes.

17. christian42

christian42 Forum Resident

Isn't "Twice in a Lifetime" produced by George Martin? I've never heard that Paul and G. Martin continued to work together so late. Maybe there was just some additional recording made in 1985, and the main body of the track is from around the TOW/POP sessions?

18. Isejingu

Isejingu Forum Resident

So you think Paul did good for both Denny and Eric as far as money is concerned? Because I hear often that Paul is not very generous about money.

19. Yorick

Yorick Senior Member

Sorry for not giving a link, but only calling your wonderful blog by name as being the source of the information.

20. Wogew

Wogew Member of The People's Front of Judea

When quoting from my blog, I'd appreciate a link back to the blog post. Not only for traffic purposes, but also because I often update my blog posts. It has been updated since you quoted it and I expect to further update this blog post throughout the day. Just sayin' ...

Yorick likes this.
  21. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

Great info as always Wogew! Just one query, it says Pipes Of Peace deluxe has Hi-Res downloads for discs 1 and 3, should that have said 1 & 2 as there is no 3rd audio disc that I can see?

Shame they're not giving hi-res for the remastered version of Tug Of War, but that's a minor quibble!

22. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Also if POP hasn't been remixed then what's the point of hi res? Same with the Tug of War bonus disc

23. funkydude

funkydude Forum Resident

Are we sure POP was mixed digitally as well (in 16bit) and no analog master tape exists?
    The TOW bonus disc consist mostly of demos which may be analog recordings. Maybe the 3 B-Sides are remixed as well

24. Calico

Calico Senior Member

Was there such a significant advance in digital technology between early 1982 and late 1983 that would make it necessary to remix one album (TOW) but not the other (POP)?

pantofis, mindgames, Yorick and 3 others like this.
  25. Wogew

Wogew Member of The People's Front of Judea

Ah yes, typo, probably inherited from my source. I've corrected it now, thanks for pointing it out!

theMess and OobuJoobu like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.