70's US & UK Charts.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobby Morrow, Jul 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

I thought 'Lay Lady Lay' was later than that... I had it in my head it was in the charts around the time of Grease.:D

'Knocking On Heaven's Door' was a hit here about 1973/4.

2. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  3. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

Wow, Elton jumps from No. 8 to No. 1, and Neil Sedaka drop from 1 to 8. It's funny, I don't think "Island Girl" is regarded as one of Elton's 'best' hits but it really sprinted up the chart. It debuted on the Hot 100 at No. 49, then went to No. 36, No. 8 and then No. 1 in its fourth week. Elton would be toppled after 3 weeks at No. 1 by KC & The Sunshine Band, who are No. 28 on this chart. That ONJ song peaks at No. 13 too (but it did make No. 1 on the Easy Listening chart).

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  4. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

Looked it up, and "Knockin'" peaked at No. 14 in October 1973. No. 1 then was a song I'm sure you like: "Daydreamer" by David Cassidy. And Bowie had two songs on the chart: "Sorrow" at No. 3 and "The Laughing Gnome" at No. 11 (!). :eek:

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  5. Bobby Morrow

Was Island Girl Elton's last US #1? I seem to recall after this (and Rock Of The Westies) he hit the skids a bit. It's a great catchy song, though. I think it was only a top 20 hit in the UK...

Olivia's Have You Never Been Mellow was another single that shot to the top pretty quickly. It shot down quickly, too:D

The weird thing about Something Better To Do was that it made a huge jump from #52 to #19 a couple of weeks before it peaked at #13.. I'd love to know what caused that big surge.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
    Thom likes this.
  6. Bobby Morrow

I loved Daydreamer and Sorrow.:)

KOHD wasn't too bad for Dylan, I suppose.

Thom likes this.
  7. Bobby Morrow

[​IMG]

Late 1977. Still not too much Punk about...

greelywinger likes this.
  8. Bobby Morrow

[​IMG]

Early 1973? @Clipper Sylvania will appreciate this chart.

I'm actually not sure if this is the UK or US one...

9. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

Well, the week Olivia jumped from 52-19 was October 11... which was the week Clearly Love debuted on the albums chart. So a possible theory is, devoted ONJ fans all over America were hitting the stores for the LP, and picked up the "Something Better To Do" 45 too. Also, I suppose radio would have spun the song quite a lot if they were doing ads or promotions for the album that week. It was the follow up to two consecutive No. 1 albums after all, so it would have been a bit of an 'event'. :)

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  10. marcob1963

marcob1963 Forum Resident

Well compare that Top 10 to today's Top 10 and the difference in quality is stark!

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  11. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

Ahhh, lots of cool stuff for a chart nerd to look up. This chart is Billboard chart (so US) dated February 3 1973. :)

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  12. Bobby Morrow

I thought it was the U.S. as I don't think Crocodile Rock made #1 here..

13. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

Just about Carly Simon's absolute commercial peak. "You're So Vain" at No. 2 (it had been No. 1 before "Superstition", but hung in at No. 2 for 4 weeks after it fell off the top spot) and No Secrets No. 1 (it was her only No. 1 album).

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  14. Bobby Morrow

Yeah, that makes sense. Clearly Love is a bit of a black hole for me. She didn't seem to promote it much and a rarely (other than Let It Shine) performed any of it's songs.

15. Bobby Morrow

This chart is a bit early for me (and you!). I didn't start following the charts until mid-1973 so there's quite a few I don't know on here.

16. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

I don't know the album, but I cannot picture Olivia doing "Summertime Blues" (!?) "He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother" yes, but Eddie Cochran? :eek: And by the looks of it, the album didn't even chart in the UK. You must have felt quite alone as an Olivia fan in 1975.

17. marcob1963

marcob1963 Forum Resident

I believe Croc Rock wasn't huge in the UK, it was in Australia (No.1).

18. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

U.S. releases only, my collection contains #5, 22, 25 (the original Buddah 45 issue), 42 (original 1964-65 Philles), and 47.

From this circa 1973 chart, the 45's I'd have would be #1, 3 - 6, 9-17, 22 - 24, 28, 34 - 36, 42, 43 and 47. The LP's, I'd have #1, 17, 23, 38 and 46. And it'd definitely be U.S. - Columbia instead of CBS, London instead of (UK) Decca . . . the reference to Sussex 248 for the Gallery single . . .

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  19. Bobby Morrow

I just checked and 'Crocodile Rock' made #5 here. It did better than I thought.
    If you haven't heard Olivia's rendition of 'Summertime Blues', I wouldn't beat yourself up over it.:D

I began liking Olivia in 1975. Just when she'd moved to the States. She didn't come back for 2 years when she performed on the Royal Variety show. Bad timing or what?!

Thom likes this.
  20. Bobby Morrow

Do you still have them all?

21. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

Believe it . . . my philosophy towards record collecting has always been as a long-term investment, never buying, selling or trading as if I were dealing with the stock market. When I see people of that latter mindset at oldies conventions, I cringe.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  22. Bobby Morrow

I got rid of a chunk of mine years ago. Stupid.

23. thematinggame

thematinggame Forum Resident

These are definitely US charts , there are 10 songs in the singles charts I don't recall and I own 22 of the LP's , some of them are among my all-time favorites (James Taylor's One man dog , Homecoming by America )

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
    Bobby Morrow likes this.
  24. Bobby Morrow

I'm going to try and put some more UK charts up over the weekend.

OneStepBeyond likes this.
  25. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

I think I might ring in sick to work then... ;)

Bobby Morrow likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.