Best Mac OS X FLAC to mp3 converter?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SamS, Jan 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

output.png

For [artist]/[album]/songs.mp3, I think (%a/%T/%n - %t) would work.

I might suggest using album artist instead of artist (%A/%T/%n - %t) if you're doing any compilations.

2. SamS

SamS Forum Legend Thread Starter

Yes, I see that, and have used the string above to name the file name... but it's not creating folders, just giving me a .mp3 file name with artist/album/track info.

3. SamS

Ah, major error on my part... I was using back-slash instead of forward slash. D'oh! Thanks for your help.

4. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Hey SamS...try setting the Output Directory to "Same As Input". Since you can't output back to a locked CD, I believe it gives you a pop-up window where you should be able to create a new folder.

5. Fzxc

Fzxc New Member

6. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

Seems that Bigasoft's Converter is quite versatile. Most suprising is to notice that it works also on PPC G5 (but not on G4) Tiger. Either the code is optimised for G5 (that would be great!), or Bigasoft thinks that no one bothers to wait the conversion on G4 - and that therefore they don't mention G4?

However, they mention on their page that Flac has some limitations.

I'm afraid that their app ain't going to be the best possible metadata editor because the developer ain't backing 100% the Flac format... after all, they seem rather to recommend some lossy format like mp3 instead of Flac. Hm...? But probably the app is best in what the name implies, in converting from format to another.

7. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

I'd rather use the free XLD, and pay for a good metadata editor that does FLAC, mp3 and others.

8. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

It also costs money and there are plenty of free options out there that work very well for Mac based users.

9. SamS

XLD has been working quite well for me. But I still don't have a good tag editor. The ported MP3tag never really worked consistently for me, typically crashing upon open. I'm ready to pay decent money for a good tag editor! :D

10. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

11. SamS

12. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I forgot about JRiver! It looks like it's only available as a beta release so far. Any word on how good it is?

13. SamS

I've been playing with a trial/beta version of JRiver for Mac this evening, expressly for the purpose of tagging. I've got the basics down. The whole thing is probably a decent value for $40, especially when they add more features. But I'm not sure I'll use most of those "Media Center" features, now or in the future. The nice thing about JRMC, it is virtually guaranteed to have more user and update support than most any other audio/tagging/media program available.

14. whivictter

whivictter New Member

I really don’t know how it is done, but Faasoft Audio Converter has that feature, and I didn’t have any problem using that function.

tvstrategies likes this.
  15. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Note that dBPowerAmp now has a FLAC->MP3 conversion tool being Beta-tested for Mac OSX:

http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?33962-dBpoweramp-Music-Converter-Apple-OS-X-R1

CD Ripper coming in a few months. I really look forward to having that entire package available for OSX.

I've tried about 20 different programs for Mac and Windows, and the best thing I've found is still Softpointer's Tag & Rename. I much prefer it to MP3Tag and a lot of freeware/shareware out there.

16. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Tag & rename has saved many hours and keystrokes for me. Well worth the $30 or $40 I paid for it.

17. Julia Softorino

Julia Softorino New Member

if you need to convert to get audio/video to your iOS device, the best way is to use WALTR for Mac/PC. We`re currently working on this app, and we can easily say it`s the best in its field
    why we think it`s the best? Nope, not because it`s our product
    1. It transferes audio/video directly to the native playback of idevice, so you don`t have to use itunes for sync. What`s is more it saves your battery;
    2. WALTR supports all the music/video formats
    3. There is no quality loss. Moreover, it works with FLAC turning it into ALAC on the fly;
    4. Simplicity. All you have to do is to drag and drop

Look it up:)

18. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

Another XLD fan here. I even bought the new Mac version of the one the Windows guys love when it came out for Mac (can't remember the name). Still like the simplicity of XLD better. Love the recursive folders. I can drop my entire iTunes library on it and let it convert everything if I want to let it rip for a long time. I've actually done that for a source for files to load on my truck's hard drive. Then just pluck out the folders I need to a flash drive for transfer.

19. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

I like XLD. It's quick and easy. xACT is good too, has a few more options than XLD but I don't like the interface as much. I only use it to de-emphasize CDs.

20. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

They make this for OSX?

21. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Oops, sorry I run it on a Windows laptop. I wish there was an OSX version.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.