Paul McCartney Archive Collection - Tug Of War & Pipes Of Peace coming! (Part Two)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by daveidmarx, Feb 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. backseat

backseat Italian translator - Paul McCartney's 'The Lyrics'

Hi Andy, me too I'm curious to know more about that song, which until now has been considered from around 1987. But we all know that Paul's songs circulate for years before getting worked...Maybe it's a different recording form tht one we already know.

theMess likes this.
  2. Frank

Frank Senior Member

This is a very good question, especially since the "Sell Sheet" says this:
    "Includes the newly remixed album, plus the original album as it was originally released in 1982"

They want you to know it's the "original" so much that they used the word "original" twice in the same sentence. Yet we're assuming it's remastered?

I would think it would be, but it doesn't say it, so I'm not sure why we should assume it is.

Then there's this:
    TOW:
    Disc 1: Remixed album

Disc 2 – Original album

POP:
    Disc 1 – Remastered Album (Stereo)

I mean, everything about Disc 2 screams "original" so why is the assumption that it's remastered, espeically when they usually explicitly state when something's been remastered?

funkydude likes this.
  3. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

You can see them (and more info about the super deluxe edition) from 1:35 to 1:47 in this video:

yellowballoon, DLant and Jerry Horne like this.
  4. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

Thanks! Missed that!

5. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

The more I think about this, the more I'm convinced it's not a remastered version. Also the fact it's not being offered in hi-res.

Which begs another question: If it's not remastered, which version have they used? 1993 "collection" edition or a different one?

funkydude likes this.
  6. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

It didn't come out on CD in 1982, so it will be remastered.
    They just said that to let people know the original mix is in the deluxe box.

The original mix isn't offered in hi-rez because it can't be.. Which is why it was remixed in the first place. At least that's been the speculation.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
    theMess and supermd like this.
  7. BeatleStair

BeatleStair Senior Member

I went ahead and sprung for the Super Deluxe TOW too. I was intrigued that it specifically says "hand numbered" photos. Hand numbered by who? Paul perhaps? Not totally out of the question as he signed the limited "Hope for the Future" and wasn't that supposedly a limited edition of 1000???

I took the risk anyway. Funny, the release date in my order receipt says 10/1 for the Super Deluxe TOW and 10/2 for the Deluxe Pipes of Peace. Strange lol.

8. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

That's a good question. I really doubt that POP escaped not being locked into 16/44.1 resolution and so we will mostly likely get a new 24/96 remaster from that source (similar to 2009 stereo remaster of Rubber Soul & Help). Its also interesting that Paul chose to redo TOW but not touch POP. So new hi-res transfers was clearly not their priority here but he did so for artistic reasons. Wish he'd thought similarly about V&M last year and given us a fresh remix along with remastered original mix.

9. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

What about POP then? Wasn't that digitally remixed too? If yes, I doubt that they were capturing anything above 16/44.1 in the early 80s.

supermd likes this.
  10. Yorick

Yorick Senior Member

It wouldn't surprise me at all if they used the 1993 remaster for Disc 2!!:D
    It would certainly make a stronger case for the remix on Disc 1!

Dean R, theMess and Frank like this.
  11. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Pre-order for Super Deluxe set on Amazon.com??

12. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Did they do a digital mix of that album or did they go back to doing it on tape? If it's a master tape, they can get a high resolution remaster from it like they did all the other albums.

13. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Well said. I agree. This will surely be remastered. I would be very surprised if it isn't.

theMess and Pawnmower like this.
  14. supermd

supermd Senior Member

That's my question, in a nutshell. :)

15. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Exactly.

I cannot wait for the next thread for the next 2 releases.

I'll get the vinyl and box for these. Like I have for the previous ones.

16. 5th-beatle

Can you imagine the reaction if it is announced at a later date that they are hand numbered by McCartney himself?
    Here is the direct link, for those still undecided about it:
    http://kingsroadmerch.com/Paul-McCartney/view/?id=7988&cid=1845

17. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

Yes it has been remastered at some point for previous CD releases, the point I'm raising is that there is nothing suggesting it has had a modern remaster as part of the Archive Collection work as everything else has so far, and we may be getting the same remaster as, for example, has already been issued in the 1993 Paul McCartney Collection.

18. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

I may well be alone on this, but I'd like to see more non-chronological thematic pairings like McCartney and McCartney II. How about Wild Life and Back to the Egg (first and last Wings albums) or London Town and Off the Ground (albums recorded after world tours) or Flowers in the Dirt and Flaming Pie (albums recorded over long periods)?

19. Yorick

Yorick Senior Member

I pre-ordered both the Deluxe Editions through King's Road Merch. The Dutch retail price for both of the boxsets is €99,99, so I saved €40,- on each.

5th-beatle likes this.
  20. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

I think Wild Life and Back To The Egg makes a lot of sense and I've said so previously. McCartney and McCartney II were marketed as "book end" releases and the same principle could be applied here.

She is anyway, supermd and theMess like this.
  21. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

The original mix is in the deluxe edition and the deluxe edition says "mastered at Abbey Road studios." i'm sorry that's not specific enough for you, but i can't believe we're still having this discussion. why the heck wouldn't the original 1982 released be remastered here?

page 3 - https://cmgsite-hosting.s3.amazonaws.com/newmedia/paulmccartney/tugofwar/sell_sheet.pdf

22. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Or, in my case, ignore the thread for over a year until actual news came to fruition! :pineapple:

BRING FORTH THE WILD LIFE/RED ROSE SPEEDWAY THREAD! DON'T TELL ME THEY AREN'T NEXT, DAMMIT!!!!

23. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

and it may very well be, but it is the ONLY disc so far in the whole series that doesn't say that it is remastered, and if you can't see that that at least warrants the question being asked, then frankly there's no further discussion between me and you needed on the subject.

24. BeatleStair

BeatleStair Senior Member

I know. Something just tells me it might be possible that it would be Paul. After all he only signed his initials on the Hope for the Future singles. It would certainly justify the $149 price and then some!

So being the Beatle nerd I am I took the gamble!!! Thanks for the link btw!

5th-beatle likes this.
  25. 5th-beatle

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.