Is this shady?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Beet, Jul 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beet

Beet Forum Resident Thread Starter

There's a listing for a vinyl LP right now on eBay. The seller has a picture of the cover and the record next to it. He claims it's in mint condition and he's only played it a few times. He isn't accepting returns though. I asked him if I could see a few up close pictures of the record, since I don't want to get screwed with his no returns policy. He replied back basically saying if I don't believe his description of the item, I shouldn't bid. There's one bid, and the price is good. Should I risk it? Would the eBay Money Back Guarantee cover me if the record is defective? It's one I'd certainly like in my collection, I just don't know why he's being so difficult.

2. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

Screw him. Unless it's something you have to have id pass on the *******.
    I've had too many bad experiences buying vinyl on flea bay.

Mr. H likes this.
  3. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

He's not dealing in good faith. Why should you trust a stranger online?

Walk away. You will get other opportunities to find the item.

chazz101s likes this.
  4. FastForward

FastForward Forum Resident

I've said it a thousand times- if you are someone who is concerned about condition, you shouldn't be buying over the internet. You should only buy where you can physically hold the product and examine it to your hearts content. Nothing dishonest about the seller, he just doesn't want to deal with people who will find fault with his description regardless of how detailed it is. I understand it completely. We all know condition is a subjective thing, and if a potential buyer is showing signs of being conditionally anal-retentive, I'd tell him not to bid as well. It always turns out the same way- despite a detailed description, pictures, extra effort to post them, etc, that buyer ALWAYS comes up with some sort of defect in order to get a refund. I had an idiot who actually counted the number of tiny spider scratches on a CD that they indicated played and sounded GREAT, but emailed me to let me know about the scratches. Don't buy online, go to a retail outlet to make your buys, you'll be happier and the sellers will be happier.

ARK and smokeverbs like this.
  5. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

The no returns policy is basically a bunch of hot air. It doesn't stop you from opening up a case with ebay.

Normally, the photos on ebay listings have the "mouse over image to zoom" thingie - does the auction not have this? If he's got solid feedback and photos already up there, he may very well not feel the need to take special high-res pictures for someone - especially on a low starting price.

FastForward likes this.
  6. Chris_G

Chris_G Well-Known Member

If you are not satisfied with the seller's description or his answers, do not buy.

7. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

I agree with everything said above. Regarding EBay returns, they are almost always gonna side with the buyer. Feedback and comments are critical. Having said that, if the price is low enough, and you can afford the time and effort if you are not happy, then it may be worth the risk. If I were buying vinyl, I would only do so if I could handle the record, and that there was a reasonable return policy.

8. Beet

Beet Forum Resident Thread Starter

Well, I bit and bid. If it does end up being unplayable, I'm sure eBay will give me a refund. The price is just too good.

Mister Charlie likes this.
  9. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Technically, it's not in mint condition if he's played it a few times.

10. FastForward

Really? You had to go there? How many times have we had THIS discussion/fight/brawl/dispute? OK, I'll go next: Technically, ANY open record isn't mint.

11. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Well, since I've already offended you...technically, no record can be considered mint, whether it has even been played/opened or not. :hide:

12. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

Good luck with your purchase, let us know how it works out.

Drifter and Mister Charlie like this.
  13. FastForward

Now you've gone too far.....technically, there is no "mint"....

14. adamdube

adamdube Forum Resident

I have several open records that I have played plenty of times that are MINT. Both in appearance and play back.

15. mavisgold

mavisgold Senior Member

[​IMG]
    :D

16. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

My experience with flea bay is...
    If you are in doubt, walk away, there's sure to be another down the line.
    Best of luck you get a good record. Sometimes eBay sellers are not savvy with net photography.

Darryl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.