The Who "Who are you" SHM-CD is far better than the MFSL version

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jlbrach, Jul 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

Hadn't Moon become a complete pisshead by 'Who Are You'?

2. SteveS1

SteveS1 Forum Resident

Delicately put. Moon had significant issues well before WAY. I may be a glass half full type, but I think it was pretty remarkable that they got anything out of him at this point. As it happens there are some great tracks.

vonwegen likes this.
  3. SKean

SKean Forum Resident

Pure speculation on your part. And probably pure baloney.

Was kidding, but not about Bonham's love for Moon's drumming abilities, was a huge fan of Moon's, as were
    every other Rock drummer coming up back then. Carl Palmer, Ringo, Paice, Max Weinberg, Peart, Baker,
    and on and on all were amazed with Moon's musical mind.

4. Futurecity

Futurecity Forum Resident

I'm interested in the bonus tracks on the Who Are You CD...but need to decide on the SHM Japan CD or the 1996 U.S. remix CD? Is it true the SHM CD uses the original album mix though...not the 1996 remix? I think I read the Who SHM's use the U.K master...but not sure if it has the remix?

In any case...which CD sounds better...and I'll go with that one?

5. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The 2011 SHM CDs use (with a few small exceptions, like I'm The Face) the original mixes.

The 2011 Who Are You SHM generally sounds nice, and has a great version of No Road Romance, but the first side of the album has glitches not present on other issues.

6. Futurecity

Thanks for the info. It sounds like the 2011 SHM and 1996 remix CD will sound quite different after-all. I can get the 1996 CD for $5.99, but maybe it's worth the $20+ for the SHM for the original mix?

7. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

For the original mix, I'd honestly recommend the old MCA CD (any pressing). Shorter fades, but no glitches.

That version of No Road Romance is great though.

tmtomh likes this.
  8. Futurecity

Thanks, but I'm interested in the bonus tracks...so need either the SHM or remix CD. Have you ever compared the audio on them...or just heard the SHM CD?

9. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

They aren't comparable. Totally different mixes.

My advice: just accept that with The Who, you're going to have multiple versions of some albums.

Quincy likes this.
  10. Futurecity

Yeah...I just hope the upcoming Who boxed set gets it right though...original mixes...great SQ...nothing missing anymore, less live stuff, but I'm not sure if the bonus tracks from the current CDs will be on the new box, so that is why I want to get a few of the current individual CDs.

I ordered the 1997 Face Dances CD the other day and also want the Who Are You CD as well.

11. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Don't hold your breath.

12. Futurecity

You are expecting another messed up box like Max R&B?

13. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I'm not expecting anything. But I know that "getting everything right" almost never happens when it comes to The Who.

Futurecity and jhw59 like this.
  14. Futurecity

Just to follow-up...the Who Are You SHM CD is listed on CD Japan as a 2013 reissue...so would this version also have the same original mix as the 2011 SHM? The dsecription for the 2013 SHM says it uses the 1996 U.K. master...but that could be inoorrect if it's not using the remix of course?

15. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

2013 is not a reissue of the 2011. Uses the 1996 mix/mastering.

16. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

You were workin' for MCA.

;)

17. SKean

SKean Forum Resident

I'd like an SACD release of WAY, that would be a fresh remix mixed to as-close-as-possible to the original mix,
    fresh from the multi-tracks, with less hiss, brighter brights, blacker blacks as found on the Steve Wilson ELP-
    Yes-Tull-King Crimson remixes.... I'm not a big fan of the '96 New Song and Music Must Change remixes, nor
    am I a fan of the unrelated remix of Join Together with the flute in the outro that wasn't present in the original
    release..

18. duggan

duggan Senior Member

Point well made.

19. Futurecity

OK, glad I asked, as I'm not sure the 2011 SHM's are available anymore? Is the obi different on the 2011's...how can I tell it's not the 2013 reissue? Wow, it's interesting the 2013 reissues no longer use the original mixes?

20. Just read this entire thread and boy am I pleased I don't analyse a recording to the same extent that some of you do. Exhausting! Playing the MFSL 'Who Are You' now and I enjoy this album immensely. 'Trick of the Light' kicks ass. :)

eelkiller and WhoTapes1 like this.
  21. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

There are a couple of them on eBay - they clearly state 2011 on the description and the OBI strip is red.

Futurecity likes this.
  22. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

That should be pretty easy to arrange. :)

SKean likes this.
  23. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

I've always wondered why "Who Are You" was chosen to open every show for years...the beginning notes make me cringe to this day.

24. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

The pre-release hype on the title tune was that it was another "Won't Get Fooled Again", which it assuredly was not.

The album has grown on me a lot. Originally, it seemed totally out of its time, synthy and bereft of the famous Townshend power chords, but now it resonates as a statement on growing old and frustrated in a young man's business. Plus, the album has 3 killer John Entwistle tunes.

I have the MFSL and it does sound good, but I wish the vocals were more forward in the mixes. For that reason alone, the 1996 remix, for all its flaws, is more to my taste.

SKean likes this.
  25. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

That is not correct - I Can't Explain has been the show opener for years and years, while WAY gets an occasional slot as the opener, like in Glastonbury this year and a few others.

dee, joelee and eelkiller like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.