All Things Kurt Vile

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jeffrey walsh, Sep 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

The first thing I heard by him was "In My Time" back in 2011 and it definitely caught my ear.

jeffrey walsh likes this.
  2. Drewbie

Drewbie Forum Resident

I love Kurt Vile and the War on Drugs. If you don't have Kurt's EP called "So Outta Reach"definitely pick that up. Some of the stuff on there is as good as the material on Smoke Ring.

3. Paully

Paully De gustibus non est disputandum

While his Smoke Ring album didn't get my juices flowing, one man's poetry is another's snooze fest, the recent album has been very enjoyable. Don't take that the wrong way, someone was just saying that about Ryan Adams' Ashes and Fire which I think is a phenomenal album. I think Vile's vocal range works quite well for his manner of music regardless. When I think of a band that should have hired a lead singer, the Decemberists are always first in my mind, not Kurt Vile.

Minorityshareholder likes this.
  4. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

Digging Wakin' on a Pretty Daze. His slacker drawl vocals work for me and the way he stretches out a bit on guitar reminds me a bit of Pavement.

I basically picked him up after being harangued by Amazon for the past three years that I might like him based on my purchases. What do you know? Amazon was spot on.

5. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member Thread Starter

6. Kurt Vile keeps late hours. "Somewhere between midnight and three," the singer-songwriter says, "maybe the best stuff happens." It's late February and the 35-year-old has taken a chunk of time out of his busy schedule — family life as a husband and father of two daughters, professional life as one of indie rock's most gifted guitarists — to discuss his work habits as of late. At the moment, he's in his native city of Philadelphia, but recently he's been traveling around the country, assembling his sixth full-length, the follow-up to 2013's radiant Wakin on a Pretty Daze.

I was wondering when a new album would come.

7. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

I discovered Kurt Vile back when Mexican Summer Records first started: their original deal was that you could subscribe to the label and get a year's worth of releases. Their second or third release was an LP called God is Saying This to You that was basically a demos and rarities collection. I hadn't heard of him before -- Constant Hitmaker was his only record out -- but as soon as I heard the track "My Sympathy," I was hooked.

8. HAmmer

HAmmer Forum Resident

Just watched the latest episode of Shameless and there was a Kurt Vile song called "Feel My Pain"
    Great song i'm going to check out more of his music

9. scotth

scotth Forum Resident

Here's what Kim Gordon has to say about the new album b'lieve i'm going down...:

"Kurt does his own myth-making; a boy/man with an old soul voice in the age of digital everything becoming something else, which is why this focused, brilliantly clear and seemingly candid record is a breath of fresh air. Recorded and mixed in a number of locations, including Los Angeles and Joshua Tree, b'lieve i'm goin down... is a handshake across the country, east to west coast, thru the dustbowl history ("valley of ashes") of woody honest strait forward talk guthrie, and a cali canyon dead still nite floating in a nearly waterless landscape. The record is all air, weightless, bodyless, but grounded in convincing authenticity, in the best version of singer songwriter upcycling."

First track sounds great. I'm in.

10. jeffrey walsh

Looking forward to the Fall release of his new record.

11. PearlJamNoCode

PearlJamNoCode Forum Resident

I played soccer with his younger brother when I was a little kid. Comes from a huge family, something like 9 brothers and sisters if IIRC.

Really liked Sunny Daze, Childish Prodigy, and Smoke Ring. Looking forward to getting the new one.

12. scotth

scotth Forum Resident

There's actually a good bit more to that quote, you can check it out here.

Limited 3xLP b'lieve i'm going (deep) down... available for pre-order. Only $26. Tempting.

13. jeffrey walsh

Ordered, thanks for the link! :)

scotth and macdaddysinfo like this.
  14. scotth

scotth Forum Resident

FYI they are apparently including a free 7" with the next 100 pre-orders. Haven't seen anything about what it is.

macdaddysinfo likes this.
  15. macdaddysinfo

macdaddysinfo Forum Resident

Hmm. I wonder if those of us who have already preordered get the 7" as well...

Wait and see...

Just got this email...

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
  16. scotth

scotth Forum Resident

Yup. That's how I knew.

17. TooLoudASolitude

TooLoudASolitude Forum Resident

I love the new track "Pretty Pimpin". Just heard it yesterday for the first time.

I wonder if the triple LP is only available from Matador or if it will be available everywhere? I just looked into ordering it and the shipping to Canada is over $20 US.

scotth likes this.
  18. scotth

scotth Forum Resident

New track released yesterday. Cool music video.

jeffrey walsh and Crazyhorse11 like this.
  19. scotth

scotth Forum Resident

New album streaming on a few radio station sites. Here's one. I'm digging it. Excited to get my 3xLP + 7" which supposedly have shipped. Got a best new music flag on pitchfork. I do take their stuff with a grain of salt but I liked this review.

20. macdaddysinfo

[​IMG]

About to spin and listen for the first time!!!

scotth likes this.
  21. macdaddysinfo

I am a fan of this guy, so take my following first impressions (after a few listens) with a grain of salt...

Great album. Imo, this is vile's most accessible effort. While the songs stretch out, and nothing is rushed, there is nothing if epic length, like the title cut from wakin'... More variety in song styles here, like the banjo in "outlaw."

Clean pressing, great package. 3rd slab of extras is great to have...

scotth likes this.
  22. macdaddysinfo

Loads of great tunes on this. Lots of different styles, too. And loads of hooks...

Contender for song title of the year: "no stranger to the ball bust"

jeffrey walsh and scotth like this.
  23. Amazon has a signed CD edition available.

24. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

It's frustrating to know there will almost certainly be a Deluxe Edition of this coming out yet it isn't available now so we can choose one or the other as opposed to buying it now and then buying the deluxe later.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.