A nifty turntable that I've been playing with, the Thorens TD-160 "Super" repro from Vinyl Nirvana..

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve Hoffman, Jun 4, 2014.

1. rob303

rob303 Forum Resident

Bitchin'!

johnnypaddock and Pomodori like this.
  2. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

-------------------
    Might be just a replaceable micro-switch.

3. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

What ever happened to the revised AR style table that Merrill was making and selling?

4. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

Problem went away once I put on the right belt!

PGB likes this.
  5. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

----------------------
    Glad the problem is solved.

6. plexi0

plexi0 Well-Known Member

sweet table! I am a recent user of the TD125 with acos luste arm, after trading in a rega p3.24. I like both tables but they sure are different ways to hear a record collection. It's nice to have both styles of tables handy actually, if you can afford it monetarily and space wise. There is something special about a heavy weight platter/top suspended design though that is a pure analog experience whereas the mdf rega is sort of a bridge between analog and digital.

7. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I had a TD 160s for about 8 years and regret selling it in 1988 - should have just put it in the loft! Frankly they are a bit on the warm and muggy side compared with my present Gyrodec and likely more so with other modern skeletal designs. I do wonder how good the old Thorens would sound with a modern AC off board power supply to improve speed stability. Frankly Rega arms aren't best suited to this deck. The old SME II or III. Mission 774 and Mayware arms were a good match and so would be a modern Jelco or SME M series. Anyone tried adding a Project Speedbox to one of these?

8. plexi0

plexi0 Well-Known Member

I've heard of adding the speed control with good success but I'm not exactly certain how that works or if it's needed. At least with my 125 I do not hear anything that sounds like speed or timing issues compared to a rega. I'm not sure I hear 'warm and muggy' either, and the 125 is not too different than the 160. just heavier I think. My rega p3/24 had a warm and muggy signtaure however. The suspension system is not really related to the motor and belt in terms of comparing it to a rega which has a belt and motor not too different? The only difference I can imagine is that in the suspended design, since the motor is on a different level from the platter, small vibrations from the platter would be picked up by the belt and the belt would have to do minute gyrations on the platter bearing whereas the rega has the motor on the same stable surface and so the belt would not be affected. Of course putting the motor on the same plane with the arm and platter causes other problems that a suspended table doesn't have.

Of the three tables I am most familiar, it is interesting how they each reproduce the same lp differently. A thorens, a rega and a technics sl series. Quite different sound. I like all three designs but the thorens gets the most play

Reesdog and ddarch like this.
  9. McLover

McLover Senior Member

In short for me, the Thorens makes music. It does nothing in shortcomings either doing it. It's ergonomic to use, it stays on speed, it's a pleasure to operate and to own. It reeks of precision, even the cheap sibling TD 165 delivers music without fuss and effortlessly. The AR XB I restored, and used a while was so good for a PT friend to want in his living room. He offered me really good money. He's happy playing records. I have a in need of love Thorens TD 165 which as soon as it gets a belt, will take it's place.

Umberto Callegarin and ddarch like this.
  10. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

I don't know if I mentioned it but I bought this table from David at Vinyl Nirvana. It serves me well. Thanks again, Dave!

11. dusk_

dusk_ Forum Resident

I just reached out to Dave to get one based on this thread. :)

12. Steve Hoffman

Enjoy it!

13. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

High praise indeed. I won't ever part with my restored XA. But glad it worked out for you.

ddarch likes this.
  14. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Having owned a TD160s many years ago and hearing the AN deck in several demos with some pricey AN gear my money would be on the later (with AN ARM2/3) by quite a margin. If you can get a TD160 for $100 and do some mods plus add a decent arm it's going to cost a lot less and well worth it. At $1500 -$2000 consider the AN, Mitchell, Notts Analogue etc.

15. ddarch

ddarch Senior Member

You would be lucky indeed to get a Thorens TD-160 for $100 these days...

PGB likes this.
  16. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

When I bought my first 'store bought' new stereo, I ended up with one of those along with a pair of AR3a's and a Marantz 2270. I can't remember what cart I was using but that was a great turntable. I paid the outrageous sum of $1113 for that system in 1971 and it was worth every single penny.

I seem to remember Steve had a set of AR3a's as well. It would be interesting to see what kind of systems the engineers in our industry owned as they were coming of age.

ddarch likes this.
  17. Steve Hoffman

I loved my AR3a's. Painted my parents house to get the money, started with JBL 100's, dreadful, traded up to the AR's. Pioneer receiver, PL12-D table. System is STILL GOING STRONG at Marcia McGovern's place up north..

18. Jay_S

Jay_S Well-Known Member

About 25 years ago, I got rid of my rather worn TD-125 Mk II for a song. I bought it used and never got great sound out of it. In those pre-internet days, I had no way to find out very much about optimizing the sound quality of this turntable. Dang it. Had I known that artisans would be paying attention to these 1970s Thorens models a quarter century later, I would have held on to the two I had (the second was a TD-165). Look, my current VPI Classic is wonderful, but these Vinyl Nirvana turntables are works of art, and I'm very impressed.

ddarch likes this.
  19. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

I'm thrilled with my TD 160 Super after two years of constant use. Once I placed a proper belt on it (which I bought from Dave) and leveled the platter, I've had zero issues.

I might upgrade the arm at some point but the rest is a keeper!

ddarch likes this.
  20. apesfan

apesfan "Going Ape"

Same years I had mine. Agree about sound. Gave it to my friend in 1988 and got a Sota Sapphire. I understand that the price difference then was about 500 dollars but the Sota cleaned the floor with the Thorens. Still miss the TD160 even though. The Thorens cost me with an Empire cartridge about 300 dollars and the Sota with a Dynavector about 850 dollars. I must double check the price. AudioVisions in Babylon NY. The Thorens from Audio Breakthroughs Huntington NY from Gary Merson, some here might know that name. Take care, John M.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
    MikeDavid likes this.
  21. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

Vinyl Nirvana. Without hesitation. He does fine work.

Pomodori and ddarch like this.
  22. dusk_

dusk_ Forum Resident

Here is mine. It gets here Wednesday... Very excited.
    [​IMG]

23. Steve Hoffman

That's a beauty, congrats!

ddarch likes this.
  24. keith65

keith65 Forum Resident

Wow, what a turntable! please report back how it plays. Congrats!

ddarch, This Heat and Gasman1003 like this.
  25. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

Like a great sports car....looks great just standing there.