When did "THE END" at the end of movies end?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by amonjamesduul, Jul 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aussievinyl

aussievinyl Appreciator Of Creative Expression

Interesting question. I also wonder why they don't put the title of some films up until after the first 15 minutes are over - seems to be a blockbuster thing. This is why I like watching old movies - that reassuring bit at the end. That and the fact that so many modern movies are c**p.

2. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

On a related issue, in TV series, when did they stop showing episode titles and why? Annoying.

3. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

When this started coming on.

[​IMG]

captainsolo and Eric B. like this.
  4. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Maybe they realized everyone can just access the title with the info or some similar button on their remote. On Screen channel guides remove the necessity of printing the episode title on the actual episode.

5. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

The last movie that I am aware of using "The End" was the Americanized version of Godzilla 2000: Millennium.

They added "The End?" to the end. It was not that way in the Japanese version.

6. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

This isn't the end of the beginning, this is the beginning of the end...

7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

one of the reasons they ended "THE END" may be due to the extra footage after the ending credits on some movies...wonder how many shut the movie off when the credits came on?

8. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Blake Edwards included outtakes on some of the 1970s Pink Panther movies.

Eric B. likes this.
  10. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

Some movies still have a "The End" title. The only one I can think of from recent years is "A Few Good Men".

11. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

In the age of sequels and remakes is it ever really "The End"?

12. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

I think a factor could be that with some series there isn't a mandatory order to watch them.

However, this is not the case with an anime series I watch: Bleach. It is so important to watch them in order that every episode features a title card that contains: (1) the word "Bleach", (2) the episode number and (3) the title card features something about the episode itself (in one episode where the villains control water, the title card looks like we are looking at the word "Bleach" and the episode number through water). Also, if an episode ends with a cliffhanger, the words "To Be Continued..." appear before the closing credits.

13. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

Back to the future does on all 3 movies :)

14. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

Outtakes are also featured in the movie "Being There" with Peter Sellers.

15. Or, are there any movies other than the Dawn of the Dead remake that actually end during the credits? That one was interesting - if you left when the credits started, you got a movie with a much more hopeful ending than did those who stuck around.

Vidiot likes this.
  16. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

That movie is 23 years old.

(another reminder that I am old)

17. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

This thread made me think of "Holy Grail":
    Was done around the time between when credits were just beginning to be held towards the end of a movie. Yet, they had all the credits at the beginning, so it looks like the film just stops when the policeman puts his hand on the camera.
    Does anyone else feel like this movie has any part to play in this discussion?

Vidiot likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.