Why did Supertramp break up?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Om, Apr 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

2. JulesRules

There is an older interview on the same site which also has some interesting passages...

I was the main arranger in the band. I wrote all the bass parts, for example, and had all the … Rick had a quirky, he came up with the quirky ideas, I was the more arranging, I saw the big picture of the song, and Rick came up with the quirky additions, and I loved ’em. “Come on a dreamer, and dream along.” That was his idea on “Dreamer.” The rest of “Dreamer” was mine, but that little part there just made it for me. You know, I mean, “Take a look at my girlfriend, (voice drops) girlfriend, what you got, not a lot.” That was Rick’s. - See more at: http://www.goldminemag.com/article/backstage-pass-supertramps-roger-hodgson-2#sthash.vJ9QLUNh.dpuf

I already suspected that the "Breakfast" background vocal was Rick's idea. So really, they were writing together, as much as Roger doesn't want to admit it.

ARK, wayneklein and ledsox like this.
  3. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

What's the "internet ban"? I just checked, and the stuff is available on Spotify for free...

I think the issue with new material--and this goes for Parsons as well--is that these artists can't generate any support/enthusiasm from labels. It's true that a new album by either artists might not sell (especially if it's like A Valid Path). But you're a legacy act that sold millions of albums and made millions of dollars, and now you can't get a label to pay for studio time or hand you a hefty advance. It's a wake up call and/or depressing.

4. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Exactly what I had heard back in the day. They were in my top three of favorite bands, so I was very disappointed though Famous Last Words kind of indicated to me that maybe they were running out of ideas anyway. It is a pale rehash of Breakfast imo. I agree that their writing styles were very different, but I would also argue they complimented each either and were far better as a group. I regularily play their albums to this day. Great thread!

JulesRules likes this.
  5. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Imo that is the only real good song on Brother. And starting with Brother, he was good at strong opening tracks and then he would lose his way as the albums progressed. Only imo of course, I am sure many hear enjoy his solo material. Roger's first solo outing was fairly good and consistent, but for me that his only good album, though I know there are fans here of his later work. I didn't care for them as much as Supertramp with both Rick and Rodger.

MortSahlFan likes this.
  6. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Thank you Grant for the detailed reply! I love this band and it was good to read more detail about the breakup.

7. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I couldn't agree more....the sound is awful. The vinyl is slightly better, but this is no audiophile recording. They really cared about sound quality too. So, my bet is that there was a ton of infighting amd they both likely said "enough" and just left it as is. To my ears, it just needs a bump in the higher frequencies as it is very muddy. Seems like a pretty simole remastering could fix it.

Have you noticed the glitch in the piano opening on Bonnie on the first issued cds? Talk about not caring! I would love to hear an inside story about recording that album.

Grawlix, ledsox and JulesRules like this.
  8. JulesRules

Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
  9. JulesRules

In my opinion, Some Things Never Change is very consistent, only hurt by its length and a slightly weak part in the middle of the first half (i.e. "Get Your Act Together" and its two surrounding songs).

wayneklein likes this.
  10. ledsox

ledsox Senior Member

I never even got the original cd. I was so turned off ny the single but I did pick up a cheap lp copy a few years ago I was shocked by the sound.
    An inside story about that album might be interesting but too depressing for me. How I loved that band in their heyday.

Jrr likes this.
  11. I doubt he wrote the songs in order. This just means that he'd write one or two really strong tracks and would front-load the album. The biggest problem with both writers is that together they can come up with enough for a very strong album. Separately, they aren't prolific enough for that. (Roger's "Open the Door" is a good listen, though).

MortSahlFan likes this.
  12. I doubt they were consulted on the first CDs at all.

The only remaster I care for is for "Famous Last Words". Although a flawed remaster in many respects, it does I prove slightly on the sound.

I suspect with "FLW" they probably were consulted separately and, to your point, just wanted to get it over with.

There are other bands where the participants don't communciate well or like each other that have continued. Yes, it's stressful but it's better than just giving up.

The four albums of studio material that Rick put out without Roger are all vary from good to pretty good but you can make those three albums great with material from Roger's solo albums .

13. Lorin

Lorin Senior Member

Another band with primaries who had somewhat different ideas which way they should go musically. In most cases those style differences are what made the group interesting to begin with.

14. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Pretty much my thiughts as I have been reading this thread. They aren't like the Stones or Van Halen. They had a very short run of big singles from BIA. Ceime of the Century is well known by us, but I am guessing it is more of a cult album amd not very well known by the general public. Most people that bought BIA were not even aware of Crime. Even in the Quietest Moments had one middling hit in the US. Though it is a classic album to me, I don't think it was a big seller. They were still growing as a band and getting established with the general US public. BIA happened to come out at the right time and was a smash (and was their only album full of radio friendly commercial songs...prior to Give a Little Bit they were mainly played on fm rock station) but their followup generated little intetest as it was inferior to BIA. One hit album from 1979 won't sustain a concert I'm afraid, but I'm in if they try!

MortSahlFan likes this.
  15. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I far prefer Rodger's albums to Rick's, and the same holds true for me on the Tramp albums, but Rodger balances Rick nicely making those four albums you mentioned classics.

MortSahlFan likes this.
  16. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Exactly!

MortSahlFan likes this.
  17. I like them both equally but agree that they balance each other out really well. I really like the Jazz leaning material that Rick has released with the latest incarnation of the band but feel they should have been solo albums.

MortSahlFan and SibilanceSegs like this.
  18. JulesRules

Not entirely sure about that... I'm not familiar with most of Roger's solo work but most of the songs I know sound nothing like Supertramp apart from his voice, whereas a song like "You Win, I Lose" has all the trademarks. Of course "Cannonball" doesn't sound like Supertramp either but that's another story.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.