American Horror Story: Coven

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Magicman74, Sep 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Well, this season has been wildly uneven for me from the get go, but it just got worse and worse by the end. Sloppy, illogical plotting and characters whose motivations were never clear or consistent. I agree with those who felt that the Stevie Nicks stuff just got really lame--maybe they were aiming for campy fun here, but it just didn't come across. Even though I like most of the actresses, I didn't really care about the characters by the end. Myrtle's bizarre sacrifice at the end didn't make a lick of sense to me, nor did Cordelia's sudden emergence as the Supreme. There was very little to suggest that she had either the power or the leadership ability for such a role. And then at the very end, they throw in the whole going public angle as an afterthought.

This show has always taken a sort of throw it up against the wall and see what sticks kind of approach which naturally tends to be hit and miss, but this season was particularly inconsistent. I hope they get back on track next season with a little more discipline and focus.

2. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Misty (Lily Rabe) was so great last year.... The Axeman was wasted.. Danny is a great actor shame.

Show kind of fizzled out.

3. That finale is not worth commenting on in any serious fashion. It felt like fan fiction to me, written by amateurs.

4. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

I was onboard with where the show originally seemed to be headed "Witch Academy" and over the course of the show I had hoped to see a final showdown between Zoe and Madison for supreme. The sudden ascension of Cordelia seemed like an afterthought they cooked up because they realized they hadn't effectively set up that final showdown with the young witches, so they just took a left turn instead. It didn't work for me.

I don't place any blame on the actresses on the show (I thought Emma Roberts was a hoot the entire season), it all comes down to sloppy writing.

5. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

Spoiler.

Everyone reading this thread has already seen the season finale.

6. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I agree Season 3 had its ups and downs. I would still rank it above Season 2. Season 1 was my favorite.

Why did the drowned in the tub witch not figure out a way to come back to life? Every other witch did.

I doubt I come back for Season 4.

7. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Remember when she went off with that devil dude she was smiling and seemed happy...I just assumed she didn't want to come back.

8. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I just read this week that she's engaged to Evan Peters.

9. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Lucky guy.

Aggie87 likes this.
  10. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

It sounds like a North American Horror Story.

From wikipedia:
    Roberts began dating actor Evan Peters in mid-2012. On July 7, 2013, Roberts was arrested for domestic violence against Peters in Montreal, Quebec. Someone at the couple's hotel overheard a dispute coming from their room and called police, who arrived to find Peters with a bloody nose and several bite marks. Roberts was released several hours after her arrest when Peters declined to press charges. In a joint statement, Roberts and Peters called it "an unfortunate incident and misunderstanding," and stated that they "are working together to move past it." Media reports on January 6, 2014 said they had become engaged over the holidays.

11. Jim in Houston

Jim in Houston The Godfather of Alt-Country & Punk

Just making sure. I didn't watch it till a few days later.

tonyc likes this.
  12. etzeppy

etzeppy Forum Resident

That's a good overall summary. Each season has had its issues, but I generally enjoyed the first two. I stuck with season 3 out of loyalty, but they might have finally lost me.

13. Colgin

Colgin Forum Resident

This more or less sums up my feelings about the last half or so of the season. I liked the premise and setup and enjoyed the first half of the season. But following through on watching the second half as it got progressively worse was just another example of the triumph of hope over experience.

14. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I just watched all of "Coven." I enjoyed it very much. I liked that it balanced humor and horror and fanstasy. I haven't seen any "witch" stories for a long time, so that was refreshing. It's all werewolfs and vampires and zombies, so witches were a nice "human" diversion. I'd much rather watch smart creatures talking than watch mindless zombies taking endless shovels to the throat. I don't watch many horror stories, because they can be too dark, but this one balanced fun with even the darkest kind of horror (Katy Bates). It piled on everything and that may be what made it curious to watch. Resurrected lovers, fetish servants, swamp witches, evil mothers, voodoo --- like a compendium of horror themes. It was so all over the place it kept things almost silly, which gave me the breathing room I needed to make it though a horror series. And, of course, Jessica Lange's queen bitch character was great -- I kept watching mainly for her. I started watching the asylum story, but it was too dreary. Maybe I like "horror light" better than straight out horror. Black humor comedy horror -- for me, that made it work. They wrote at a fairly high level. The red-haired erudite witch was ay favorite, spouting off in French about architecture and cuisine. Loved her. I thought the ending was perfect. A very nice "surprise" that made perfect sense. The best kind of surprises are the one's staring you right in the face.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
    bumbletort likes this.
  15. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I liked season 2 (Asylum) the best, but if you preferred (Coven) you'll probably also like the most recent season (Freakshow) as its similar in tone.

16. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

I'm a fan.
    I buy the blu-ray of the whole season when they become available.

17. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

18. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

I'm willing to give next season a shot. Honestly, I didn't watch a single episode of Freak Show (that storyline held zero interest for me) but I'm interested in the American Horror Story: Hotel angle and I'm glad they've come back to Los Angeles to shoot the series (for the first time since season 1).

19. Wondering

Wondering Well-Known Member

Loved season one and two...

Season 3, could barely make it past a few episodes. Felt very different, almost silly, just not the same.

20. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I'm trying again to watch Season One and it's a chore. I think the problem is it feels cliched and recycled from any other number of horror films "Rosemary's Baby" "The Others" and is basically rife with a "traditional" haunted house vibe. Also, the husband and wife drama at the middle of it bores me silly. Soap opera stuff. Infidelity, affairs and half of each show devoted to domestic squabbling -- I could have done without that. It's also a bit draggy for the amount of story they offer up. It could have unfolded a lot faster. I'm on episode 8 and there's occasionally a bit of new story here and there, but they're really dragging it out. It's really not much fun. Jessica Lange is great again, but the wife, Connie Britton, isn't that interesting. The relationship between Tate and the daughter is frankly, endless. I couldn't sail through "Coven" fast enough. Season one, I can watch about one show or sometimes half a show per session. I'm of half a mind to start fast forwarding.

21. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I found Connie Britton surprisingly unbelievable on this show. I think the second season might be better but its really dark and disturbing. Lily Rabe was fantastic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.