Led Zeppelin Remasters in 2014+ to include 2nd disc of bonus material (Pt 8)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry, Feb 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Anyone else find it odd that the liner notes/sleeves have so many live photos, and yet we got exactly one live disc in the entire series? And if JP had any other options for LZI, we wouldn't even have gotten that one!

That would have made a lot more sense if he had sprinkled in 2-3 live tracks on each companion disc (representing those great tours). To me that is the biggest fail in this campaign.

Zep Fan likes this.
  2. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Best Buy will price match Amazon.

2cd- $14.88
    3cd- $18.88

zphage, JasonA and dee like this.
  3. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Damn, that might have been a better choice ... definitely more appropriate than the rolled tacos and beans "Southbound Suarez"-style. :D

Boomy likes this.
  4. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

expanded Coda basically blows away all the other bonus discs combined

DiabloG, WPLJ and Veech like this.
  5. dee

dee Senior Member

Yes, me too.

6. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

3 disc Coda is the only deluxe version Ive purchased. Ive gone barebones single disc for all the rest.

7. motionoftheocean

you made the right move

8. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

There are 1-to-2 discs worth of quality outtake material spanning the other titles.

taramark, JimC, Tommyboy and 5 others like this.
  9. motionoftheocean

I don't agree

10. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

There's a simple reason for that Zep never really required to do a lot of publicity shots therefore more photos exist of them performing live. They've taken live shots from the rough eras of the recordings.

I don't think live tracks really fit with studio albums but there's a strong argument for the die hards to get extensive live stuff if they want it. JP maybe wouldn't need to go down the Springsteen route but he could do a live bootleg series at some stage.

Sathington Willoughby likes this.
  11. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

I've bought all the companion disc versions and there's enough on each to make me happy plus they were all relatively cheap. YMMV

12. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

The photo thread in off-topic has lots of non live Zep pics.

13. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I agree that some form of liner-notes would have been a nice addition in place of all the photos; although, if not executed properly, liner notes can be a distraction. Regarding the live material issue, I think a few isolated tracks rather than complete live sets would have been effective; particularly for songs like No Quarter and Kashmir.

Zep Fan and JeffMo like this.
  14. JasonA

JasonA Forum Resident

footlooseman and reb like this.
  15. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

Just picked up all three over my lunch hour, very excited to crack into Coda this week.

On a side note, this is now the third week in a row where I've had to ask for new releases to be retrieved from the back at my local big box. I'm not sure if they've stopped caring or the usual shelf stockers are ignoring the new release day Friday or what, but today she told me they hadn't even opened the boxes of new releases yet (mind you, this was at 2:00 PM, so it's not like I was first one in the store or something).

Doug72 likes this.
  16. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Interesting you say that. I went to my local HMV Megastore to pick these up, and for the previous releases they had large sections displaying the CD's, Vinyl and Super Deluxe Sets all together by the front door by the entrance. It really made a nice impact when entering the store and seeing it all together. Not this time. Everything was displayed on it's own mixed among other releases and even the vinyl and deluxe sets were downstairs in with the rest of the vinyl. Nothing displayed as a showcase of sorts and I found that to be very boring and unfortunate.

Trapper J likes this.
  17. Chauncey

Chauncey Forum Resident

Listened to "Poor Tom" on the new deluxe edition and then queued up the same song from the original Diament CD. What happened? Is it just the age of the tape???

18. andy75

andy75 Forum Resident

Same here. One disc editions of everything but 'Coda'.

groovelocked likes this.
  19. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

Which was better (in your opinion)?

20. Chauncey

Chauncey Forum Resident

Diament

rburly likes this.
  21. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

I can understand not really wanting outtakes, but LZ I might be worth your while for the live concert.

Jonboy, qtrules, Trapper J and 2 others like this.
  22. resistanceisfutile

resistanceisfutile Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Yep...I also had to ask Customer Service at Best Buy to dig them out of the back room, as they weren't on the floor. They still don't have the hang of this new-fangled Friday release schedule.

Doug72 and GuidedByJonO))) like this.
  23. Giorgio

Giorgio Forum Resident

Just picked up all 3 Deluxe Edition LPs of the final releases today from my record shop...no time this night to play them, but they are in my hands and I'm happy!

tmtomh and footlooseman like this.
  24. Andrew Russe

Andrew Russe Forum Resident

Listened to it once (it was on the mat when I got home) - I LOVE it. It's the one I've been most looking forward to, I stuck it on loud and I just loved it. The previous remaster was ok, but always seemed a bit tinny to me, a bit "boxed in" when compared to the LP I bought in the early 80s maybe, but you get used to things. My first impression is "this is what it's meant to sound like" - very happy.

Same here. I do find myself wondering whether that was the right choice for the original albums, but only for a minute or two! I never bothered buying Coda on CD before (I bought the LP the day it came out), this time it seemed to make sense to buy it, 3 CDs. I seem to like the original Coda more now than when I first bought it - I only ever listened to it 3 or 4 times - but it still seems like a bit of a hotch-potch of interesting out-takes to me. I think I find some of the companion stuff more interesting/listenable than the original track list.

25. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Well, I didnt pre-order online thinking that today I was going to be able to walk into Target/Walmart and get them all, like I did for all previous Led Zep CDs.

Sucker. They didnt have any. Now I have to wait until Monday for Amazon prime.

Of course I went to B&N and saw they wanted $30 for Coda and $22 for the other two. No thanks, Monday is fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.