Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by mikeyt, Mar 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

No, he was suspended by lots of rigging/cables (up to 4) which were later digitally removed. But because of the glass reflections, they had to also CGI out the reflections of not only the cables but helicopters, cameras, etc, and also to digitally replace pieces of the building. So, the stunt was real, but also with a lot of CGI help.

5th-beatle likes this.
  2. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Another trailer I saw before F&F 7.

I'm in.

3. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

I'm in complete agreement, too much reliance on CGI these days. Herzog crashed a real plane to get a shot for Rescue Dawn ... old school, gotta love it.

Vidiot likes this.
  4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I'm a big CGI guy, but only when it's stuff that's way too dangerous or expensive to do in real life. Like Cheryl Linn sang in 1979: "Got to Be Real."

5. I don't like Tom Cruise but I will go see this because the people he works with lately have made some damn fine movies.

6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

New trailer is up:

I wasn't planning to see this, but the new trailer actually kinda hooked me in. I gotta say, the stunt of Tom Cruise actually hanging on the side of the airplane (invisible wires or not) is so insane, I'm impressed he would go this extent for a stupid action movie.

tmtomh and mikeyt like this.
  7. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

How many actors would have the balls to do this?...awesome.
    >>>

8. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Saw it today and it is outstanding. Probably the best one since the first one (could even be better, I would have to rewatch the first one to remember it in detail.)

This is the best Tom Cruise movie he's made in a long time.
    The main antagonist in the movie, played by Sean Harris, does a really good job too.

Simon Pegg and Jeremy Renner do their usual fine work as support.

Alec Baldwin does his usual appearance and plays it well too (despicable at first but lightens up near the end, with even some humor thrown in.)

The female eye candy is even a badass in this and does a good job.

I recommend this movie to all who like action thrillers, Tom Cruise, the Mission Impossible movies, or even the original Mission Impossible TV series.

Two thumbs up!!

Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
    Shawn, No Static and mikeyt like this.
  9. captainsolo

captainsolo Forum Resident

I'll see it eventually but the last one was a huge disappointment for me. Yes they have the team aspect down finally but to be honest I adore the first film for not only having the guts to be relatively a realistic spy thriller but to finally perfect the Tom Cruise persona onscreen. I still think it's his best film and best performance, and this comes from a diehard Eyes Wide Shut fan. Of course its reference grade sound mix helps too.
    None of the sequels have really moved me other than the lovely over the top John Woo-isms in 2. I explain it like this: in the first film Hunt is on the run betrayed and marked for death. He rips out a light bulb, smashes it in his coat and spreads pieces all over the floor as a desperate security measure to ward off his would be killers. I will take this kind of honest and involving development over a huge stunt any day. In the end nothing makes up for a lack in character development.

mikeyt likes this.
  10. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

Tom Cruise is a nice guy.

11. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

looking forward to seeing this. I'm a huge fan of Tom!

12. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Indeed!

13. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

As a fan of the TV series, I went along to see the (first) movie and thought it was rubbish. Didn't bother with the sequels. Then again, I don't really care for James Bond, etc, so it's probably just not my thing.

14. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think very few people know the real person. But I have a friend who's worked with him on three different films, and his report is that Tom is very friendly, approachable, and very hard working -- first guy on the set in the morning, last guy to leave at the end of the day. But I think he also has a temperamental and weird side on occasion. I don't think he's gone through 3 messy divorces because he's a nice guy all the time.

What impresses me about Tom Cruise is how cagey and calculated he is in picking the right roles for his career. Much of the time, he has very good instincts on movies that are right for him as an actor, and also films that will be commercially successful. And he's gone against type and made some unusual choices -- he knocked me out as the fat studio exec in Tropic Thunder. I wish Cruise would do more comedies. He's funny as hell in that film. And I also liked The Edge of Tomorrow, which I thought was his best film in several years.

15. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

16. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

Saw this last night, and thought it was an enjoyable action flick. Nothing extraordinary beyond the excellent stunt work and a fairly coherent story line. Aside from the film itself, does anyone now what brand of glasses the Solomon Lane character wore? I want a pair.

[​IMG]

17. 80sjunkie

80sjunkie Forum Resident

Saw it yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it. Cool stunts and fight scenes with a handful of humor thrown in, pretty much everything I want in an action movie.

Only thing I wish is that someone do something interesting and believable with the computer hacking scenes. Sometimes there is a kernel of a cool idea, but it always gets ruined in the implementation with something hokey, actually not unlike some real IT projects I have seen.

18. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

driverdrummer likes this.
  19. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

In that case I would not recommend the other films as they are far more action oriented than the first. I'm a little surprised because the first MI is more of a spy drama vs. an action film. For my money the MI series is more consistent than the James Bond series post Connery.

mikeyt likes this.
  20. Django

Django Forum Resident

Isn't if funny how he re-branded himself as a action star........that's where the big money is.

driverdrummer likes this.
  21. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

None of this was actually shot for IMAX was it?

22. Mark Nelson

Mark Nelson Forum Resident

Thought the action was poorly executed, as usual these days. Not the worst example of this current trend, but the cameras were far too close and the editing
    was too fast during the fights/stunts/chases to really impress me much. I get the IDEA of what was happening (most of the time), but couldn't enjoy taking in
    any move or stunt in full without the imagery partially obscuring what was going on or moving onto the next shot before I could be impressed. Found it to be
    a somewhat generic story, and not terribly impressive. Liked the previous entry far more than this one.

budwhite likes this.
  23. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Loved it:cheers:

24. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Funny? No but he does a good job of these roles and he's no youngster doing his own stunts. I think it's pretty cool!. I can care less about money or re-branded. Just give me a few hours of entertainment.

25. Django

Django Forum Resident

I'm just saying it was quiet skillful how he did it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.