Axl Rose: The Last Rockstar?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Uly Gynns, Jul 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Ozzy wrecked a four wheeler and Keith Richards fell out of a friggin' tree.

GodShifter likes this.
  2. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

In this bend over backwards to be PC world, they do. Motorcycles causes green house gasses, maaan! Save the planet! Hug a tree!

dino77 likes this.
  3. YouKnowEyeKnow

YouKnowEyeKnow Forum Resident

I was refering to Scotts unquestionable front man prowess. Some of you act like the guy was never known for great songwriting hooks and top-notch showmanship and vocal delivery. Scott was a bonafide Rock Star and maybe of the very last indeed. Don't simply lump the guys worst years in with his entire body of accomplishments.

Groggy likes this.
  4. Maybe not quite a rock star, but Nico died after taking a tumble off a bike.

5. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

In the late 60's and through the 70's emerged a distinctive rock/pop/soul 'royalty' of sorts, well covered by Rolling Stone and other music media at the time, even noted in mainstream media, and collectively accepted as so by a fairly broad spectrum of the boomer generation. Not only the four Beatles but artists such as Jimi Hendrix, Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, David Bowie, Stevie Wonder, Aretha Franklin and the early casualties (Morrison, Joplin etc.) By the 1980's the fragmentation of pop & rock music was well underway with its escalating divisions and sub-divisions of genres, its anti-heroes that, at best, played small clubs and were stars only as far as underground 'zines and vocal cores of fans acclaimed them to be. Still, there were the occasional superstars that emerged; Garth Brooks, Michel Jackson, Bono, Madonna, Kurt Cobain, and in its own niche even Axl Rose. But their cultural impact was by then greatly diminished and exerted far less cultural relevance. By then entire genres existed alongside each other, often oblivious of the other, each with its own mega stars and highly lauded platinum releases: new wave, heavy metal, boy bands, pop divas, neu-country, alternative, grunge. I think its difficult for younger people to grasp the cultural differences that transpired over the last couple decades. Out of the latter era stars I mentioned above I think that Madonna would be a good candidate. Her impact, image, and influence was enormous, beyond US shores even.

GodShifter and uphoria6 like this.
  6. ronm

ronm audiofreak

Could have been had he not been such a tool.

7. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

I think Billy Ray Cyrus and those kids who wore their pants backwards were a bit more "rockstar" than Axl.

Fullbug, ian christopher and bob60 like this.
  8. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

Backup singers, bike shorts, two keyboard players, Sorum...a mess. No other band has ever gone from so good to so ridiculous so fast.

9. Harvest Your Thoughts

Harvest Your Thoughts Forum Resident

Scott Weiland.

Or Angus Young.

YouKnowEyeKnow and JohnnyQuest like this.
  10. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

Chris Martin, obviously.

Malina likes this.
  11. 905

905 Senior Member

Think outside the U.S. -
    Liam Gallagher

12. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Was Keith riding a bicycle in the tree?

Fullbug likes this.
  13. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Did Axle Rose drink the last RockStar?
    Yes, that's all that was left backstage.

14. Anyway. As long as Dennis DeYoung is performing, we will know the epitome of a rock star. Nobody today can touch his utterly un-showtunelike, unaffected, not-at-all-prissy ROCK majesty.

15. Hokeyboy

Hokeyboy Nudnik of Dinobots

Have you been to a sporting event in the last decade?

Fullbug likes this.
  16. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

Looking dated isn't the problem. It doesn't matter what they look like if the music backs it up.
    Sadly, that often seems to not be the case and bands are getting by on image rather than creativity.
    If they have crazy enough behavior, enough tattoos, hair hanging in their faces the right way, and distorted enough and loud enough instruments, then they are "in".

17. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

Neither.
    Axl prances about like a girl on stage while Kid Rock's biggest hit was a Sweet Home Alabama/Werewolves Of London mash-up for pity's sake.:sigh:

Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
  18. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

Did you mean Sweet Home Alabama/Wherewolves?
    Either way, they guy is anything but a rock star. Rock was long gone , probably before he was even born.

19. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

Yes you are right. Just shows how much attention I was paying to it,

20. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

The only reason I know is that I have played with bands who decided to do his butcher job on the two songs, which I abhor doing. But, when you get paid to play music, you don't necessarily play what you like. You play what who is playing you thinks his customers like.

21. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

That's the first one that came to mind for me, too. To be a rockstar I think you first need to be a semi-household name at least, and she's the only big "name" of the past 15 years or so who (sometimes) comes close to rock. Taylor Swift and Beyonce are huge too, but neither comes anywhere close to rock (and frankly they're not flamboyant enough to qualify even if they did).

Of course, Gaga's version of "rock star" is pretty much performance art - she's painfully self-aware and bright enough I'm sure to realize that the whole concept is anachronistic at this point in the collapse of the music business and 20th century mass media culture.

Gaga may well be the last individual who'll ever come close to qualifying as a rock star - a kind of ghostly reflection of a pop culture landscape that's rapidly receding in the rear view mirror.

GodShifter and Cassiel like this.
  22. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

From about 2005 to 2008 or so I had free access to the Starland Ballroom, which is actually one of the of the biggest ticket selling concert nightclubs in the world. I lived about a mile away so I would go over there and check out a lot of shows for about 15 minutes until I got bored. I gotta say Scott Weiland was a helluva showman when he played there with Velvet Revolver. He was more rockstarish than anyone I saw play there over the years and I saw a ton of shows, for about 15 minutes until I got bored.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
    GodShifter likes this.
  23. music and movies

music and movies Forum Resident

As playful as this joke it meant to be, I have to respond in disagreement to it.

A great 1970s Canadian hard rock band, Prism, lost its former lead singer, Ron Tabak, due to a bicycle accident on Christmas Eve 1984. He was riding to band member Al Harlow's home to spend Christmas. He was released from the hospital upon being examined, but was arrested for erratic behavior later that night. It turns out he had developed a blood clot in his brain from a head injury sustained in the accident, but was thrown into a prison cell. He died in his jail cell.

You could never count out a reunion even if the band had broken up that year. They reformed a few years later and still tour.

R.I.P. Ron.

24. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

This website shows two platinum albums and a platinum single. And that song, Icky Thump, was a bigger hit in both the US and the UK than Seven Nation Army. He's had five UK top tens with the White Stripes and another with the Raconteurs.

http://www.riaa.com/goldandplatinumdata.php?artist="White+Stripes,+The"

24voltsdc likes this.
  25. marcob1963

marcob1963 Forum Resident

I just wish Axl Rose would get his head together, lose weight and make good music.

The departure of the excruciatingly boring D J Ashba could be a blessing. There was a time (around 2001) when he had a stunning band: Buckethead, Robin Finke, Tommy Stinson & Brains Mantia, yet couldn't get an album finished for years.

Whether Guns n Roses reform (who would be in that lineup?) or he starts a new band, get your **** together Dude!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.