U-Turn Audio - Orbit Turntable Reviews

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by thepluralofvinyl, Oct 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. krisbee

krisbee Forum Resident

The AT is closer to $290 now... I also think it is a good table, but the Orbit is nice, too. I went with the Orbit.

utahusker likes this.
  2. RocketUSA

RocketUSA Forum Resident

I'd seen this review as well (probably after I'd already purchased my Orbit). I haven't had any audible speed issues, with the exception of the fact that I had a spindle that needed to be replaced. Then again, I don't have any way of measuring its performance. In terms of direct drive, I've pointed people towards the AT for reliability/price/ease of use. Unlike Pro-Ject tables, I've yet to hear anything bad about that model (with respect to bang for your buck). The reviewer is using different cartridges on each table, which can very easily account for audible differences in performance. I did upgrade the stylus of my Orbit, and I also have the acrylic platter (The Wirecutter review seems to be using the upgraded platter as well). Wondering if a cork slipmat might be even more of an improvement over the stock felt slipmat.

3. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

The wife got me an Orbit for my BDay, should have been here, got to love UPS, anyways, I'll give my thoughts on it after I live with it a while. Don't need another table, but what the hell, it will be fun to mess with.

4. krisjay

My initial impressions of the UTurn Orbit Plus with AT95E, surprisingly, very nice. I really didn't expect the overall sound quality of this table and cart combo to be as good as it is. The bass is full and tight, instruments sound like what they should sound like. Subtle strings during songs sound rich and natural. Overall I am pretty impressed. Cart needs a bit of break in, but I am happy to add this table to my collection. Pretty cool.

5. krisjay

After living with the Orbit Plus for a bit, I have come to really enjoy it. The Orbit Plus AT95E is an enjoyable table/cart combo. The thing I like about it the most is it gets out of the way of the music and seems to like all genre's eqaully. U-Turn really nailled it for the entry level/second table market. Two thumbs up.

6. weinerdog

weinerdog New Member

krisjay - can you tell me about the rest of your setup? I'm looking to buy soon, but don't understand the difference in the cartridges they offer. I have been thinking about getting an Orbit Plus, the Pluto Pre-amp and some Audio-Engine speakers.

7. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

I have had mine about a year & a half now , still running solid using it almost daily ...... A friend bought one 6 months ago & loves it .....

8. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

My U-Turn Orbit just arrived today. It replaces a Technics SL-BD20 that I've had since I purchased it new in 1991. I purchased the basic model Orbit, with the only extra being the cueing lever. Took about 15 minutes to set-up, with most of that time spent getting the belt situated.

Initial impressions are very good, with no problems whatsoever. I've played both albums and 45s. It's definitely an upgrade sound-wise over my old turntable. I was initially concerned about switching the belt from 33 to 45 but that seems pretty easy. I'm not used to having a manual turntable but I don't think it's going to be a problem.

intv7 likes this.
  9. Does anybody know how they are doing? I really like these guys. It takes guts to do what they did, and it's really hard to hit a low price point yet have good build quality and great sound. They appear to have done it with some nifty engineering. They should try to get their stuff into Urban Outfitters, et al., as an alternative to that Crosley junk.

Ghostworld, MMM and Dino like this.
  10. krisbee

krisbee Forum Resident

Think they are doing great... They added new employees this year and now are mmaking their own preamp. I love mine.

11. Spirit Crusher

Spirit Crusher Forum Resident

Not that I'll get one any time soon, but my old Technics DD keeps acting up (the auto return, and the I've had to jury-rig the cue mechanism) and I keep looking at the Orbit.
    So, Q-Up and no cue lever, or cue lever and no Q-Up? Which is more important to you?

12. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

I have the Orbit and got the cueing lever. I've been used to my semi-auto Technics for years but, so far, this hasn't presented a problem, even though I play a lot of 45s.

Spirit Crusher likes this.
  13. krisjay

Usually the Orbit Plus is in service with the following. Nothing earth shaking, but has good synergy and sounds great. Your plan sounds solid. I've never used Audio Engine speakers(or any powered speakers), so can't really comment on those. The Pluto in my opinion is better than the ART pre, I use one in a different setup.
    Sansui 2000
    Paradigm Atom's
    Art DJ phono pre

14. RocketUSA

RocketUSA Forum Resident

I picked up Orbit's cueing lever as they sold it to me for half price. It's a pretty clever design but I find that I don't use it all that often.

15. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

They probably don't have the means yet to produce enough product for a major nationwide chain. They are starting to get the Orbit into a few local Newbury Comics stores though.

troggy likes this.
  16. TeflonScoundrel

TeflonScoundrel Forum Resident

I recently bought one of these for use at my office with my pair of Audioengine A2+ speakers. I ordered the basic platter with a Grado Black cart and the cue lever. I've been using it for a couple of weeks now and just want to say how impressed I am with it. The cart seems to be a great match for it and it's got a really smooth enjoyable sound. Speed stability seems quite good and while it's not as resolving of micro-details as my Rega RP3 at home, overall it's got a very well balanced sound quality. I recommend the Orbit to anyone looking at lower cost turntables.

17. Joe Spivey

Joe Spivey Forum Resident

Anybody here changed out the cart on their orbit? curious to know how the experience was. i believe a stevenson alignment guide is the correct alignment choice, however, i can't seem to print it correctly from vinyleengine.com. I recall one of the Uturn guys telling me a Denon DL-110 a worthwhile swap for what it's worth. Might have to try it one of these days.

18. RocketUSA

RocketUSA Forum Resident

I was lazy. Mine shipped with an Ortofon OM 5E, and I simply swapped the stylus with an Ortofon OM 20 and adjusted the tracking force. Not a true Super OM cart, but close enough for me.

19. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

Billy Budapest and troggy like this.
  20. Joe Spivey

Joe Spivey Forum Resident

I essentially did the same... swapped out a Grado Black to a 8MZ stylus. Easier then swapping out the entire cart. I'm in no hurry to make a change. Just curious what other peoples experiences have been with cart changes on the Orbit.

21. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I was surprised to see it listed with another online retailer this Christmas. (I can't remember who now though.) They must have ramped up production! Good for them.

Wise move! Your Black/8MZ will outperform a stock Gold.

Joe Spivey likes this.
  22. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

Bear in mind that by purchasing from Barnes and Noble online you can use their coupons to save a lot of money. A $309 Orbit Plus would have been only $216 over Black Friday weekend with the 30% off coupon! However B&N is only selling Black turntables, so if you fancy a color version you're out of luck.

23. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

When I bought mine a few months back, I opted for black even though blue would have gone better with the room.

24. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

I've written to Santa to request this--white/acrylic platter, cue lever, and Grado blue upgrade.

25. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

If Santa has it in stock, that seems like the best option.

forthlin likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.