70's US & UK Charts.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobby Morrow, Jul 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. duggan

duggan Senior Member

One of the best charts ever for perfect pop.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  2. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

A lot of brilliant songs on that chart. I was 6 then, so I'm certain my favourite song would have been the one at No. 55 (one of the two best songs Paul Williams ever wrote). :)

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  3. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

We're a quirky bunch over here, aren't we?!

Yes, THE Billy Connolly. As unfunny on record as he is everywhere else.

Demis was a bit of a heartthrob here for a bit. No, I don't know why either.:D

Don't know why all those old 50s/60s records were in the charts... Showaddywaddy were very popular at this time too.

Thom likes this.
  4. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

The mid 70's was an odd period pop music wise, the very **** end of Glam, not yet Punk not yet disco and loads of random 60's acts suddenly in the charts again eg Four Seasons, The Drifters plus loads of middle of the road cabaret type acts. A strange time.

Thom likes this.
  5. Bobby Morrow

Yes, I agree with this. The TOTP albums were good value, but I always wanted the proper singles and refused to have them in the house.

The K-Tel ones were better, but they used to edit songs, so I wasn't happy with them either.:D

6. Bobby Morrow

And don't forget all those Beatles (there, I said it) reissues in the charts in 1976!

I know you've got the full set.:D

bob60 likes this.
  7. Bobby Morrow

I wish I hadn't put so many charts up at once now... I no longer know which one people are referring to.:D

If I do the 80's chart thread, I've some cracking ones from 1984...

duggan and Thom like this.
  8. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

The early 70's and early to mid 80's were truly golden ages of pop in the UK.

9. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

What The Muppets??

10. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

Yeah, you can see how the Sex Pistols would explode onto the scene in late 1976/1977, and then all the punk and post-punk acts that followed. The UK pop landscape was in an unusually dull state. Glam had been 'it' in the early/mid 70s, and artists like T. Rex, Bowie and Elton John, but they had all either faded out or cooled off commercially (Elton, not quite as much). You can see the UK needed a bit of excitement, and the Sex Pistols were it. And for pop fans for whom punk was a bit too rough and ready, disco served that function.

11. Bobby Morrow

It's a fact.

12. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

Well, I did say I was 6 then. :) And "The Rainbow Connection" is still a great song.

13. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

I'm not such a fan of the early 70s, but I second (or third) your comment on the early to mid 80s. A lot of brilliant pop songs and artists in that period.

14. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

The 70's were brilliant for pop fans, Glam Disco and Punk. Great music and great fashions.

Thom likes this.
  15. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

I love the charts from 1985-1989 (because that's when I was avidly, obsessively following them), but on the whole, 1984 was the pinnacle of the 80s for pop fans.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  16. Bobby Morrow

I'd say 82-86 were the best years for me personally. Here and in the US.

Thom likes this.
  17. Bobby Morrow

[​IMG]

Autumn of 1974 UK chart. Great chart. I had 22 of those albums (not all in '74)

21 of the singles.

greelywinger likes this.
  18. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

You must be about the same age as me then ;)

19. duggan

duggan Senior Member

I had the same approach to the TOTP albums.

I'm not sure, so please correct me, but I think that the Arcade (unlike the K Tel ones ) albums were not edited. From memory, 20 Fantastic Hits had the full length Maggie Mae as the opening track.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  20. Bobby Morrow

I think I only had a couple of K-Tel albums. I know for sure 'Music Explosion' was edited. Not in a huge way, but I noticed it.

21. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

Amongst my 45 collection from this batch, I have #3, 4, 6, 7, 11, 20 - 23, 24 (original 1964 Motown release), 25, 28, 29, 32, 34 (much better than Bad Company's [wholly different] song of the same title), 36, 39, 41, 44 (original '68 Columbia issue), 47 and 50. Among the LP's I have are #7, 12, 16, 19, 21 (two-eye "360 Sound" Stereo label), 23, 29, 30, 42 and 48. (Notice on #48, the U.S. issue was on Apple at the time.)

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  22. Mark B.

Mark B. Forum Resident

Another great chart. I have 33 of the albums and 27 of the singles. I'm still amazed at the variety of styles that were on these charts!

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  23. duggan

duggan Senior Member

They certainly were.

T. Rex with 8 consecutive number 1 or 2 singles ( followed by their best ever track peaking at number 3) set the period off to a great start.

bob60 likes this.
  24. John54

John54 Senior Member

Chart in post #207, I know about fifteen of the singles. Only Going for the One and It's A Heartache stand out.

Chart in post #208, I know a majority of the singles, about thirty. Favourites are Pieces of April, Clair, Oh Babe What Would You Say, I Wanna Be With You and Do It Again, but I like several others, including some of the early-'70s soul songs (Me and Mrs. Jones), which have never risen above a certain level in my opinion but nevertheless have some quality. I had no idea the Partridge Family covered Looking Through the Eyes of Love; I've just listened to it and it really doesn't compare with Gene Pitney. They had a few great songs of their own, however.

Albums I have:

Seventh Sojourn
    More Hot Rocks
    Magician's Birthday
    Days of Future Passed
    Don McLean
    Close to the Edge

... and I possibly have Caravanserai and Fresh floating round, and certainly one or another incarnation of Creedence's Gold.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  25. Bobby Morrow

When were the Beatles Red and Blue albums first released? This week in 1974 they entered the charts at numbers 24 and 25 respectively. It seems low for first week sales, so were these re-entries?

@theMess I know you weren't there :) but do you know the answer to this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.