Phil Collins outsold Genesis!?! And other related surprises.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by head_unit, Jul 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member Thread Starter

I had read before that he supposedly sold 150 million albums as did Genesis. Here
    http://tsort.info/music/faq_album_sales.htm
    however it shows a couple of his solo albums much higher up than any Genesis albums. And their biggest seller? We Can't Dance...

2. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

Out sold because he sold out!

bleachershane, Scope J and BryanA-HTX like this.
  3. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

That doesn't surprise me at all.

ARK likes this.
  4. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I'm surprised to see Phil's "Serious Hits Live" on that list, higher than Phil's greatest hits album and "Hello I Must be Going" as well as "Invisible Touch." I question their methodology, even though it seems to be backed up by chart certifications.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
  5. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

yeah I don't see how any of this is surprising, including the information that Genesis' worst album is their top seller

6. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Numbers pre-Soundscan are probably guestimates, at best. But also this doesn't surprise me in the least...Genesis really only had two bon-fide smash 'pop' albums (ATTWT to self-titled had hits, and sold, but nothing compared to the stuff on this list), Phil had at least three in the 80's, and he reached more casual listeners than Genesis did. There were a lot of people who bought No Jacket Required who probably never bought a Genesis album.

But again, anything pre-1991 is a guesstimate.

7. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

He probably did. He was huge in the 80's. I loved his solo stuff, as well.

ARK, evh5150, 24voltsdc and 6 others like this.
  8. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Same here. Phil was one hot property at one time, and was seemingly popping up everywhere. (Duh. Didn't mean to insult anybody's intelligence!)

ARK likes this.
  9. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

It was the only Phil compilation available from 1990 to 1998, the height of the CD/retail music boom. There's a reason it was titled Serious Hits Live, and distilled to a single disc trimmed of all deep cuts, and not given a clever name like a live album. Also, it came out around exactly around the heydey of people replacing their albums with the CD format, who by 1991 probably wanted some Phil, but didn't need 5 CD's worth of Phil. Marketing!

ARK, Malina and LivingForever like this.
  10. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Yes, and You Might Recall that Genesis didn't make any $$$ for their label, until the MTV years...

11. Squealy

I guess... I just didn't have any sense at the time that it was successful on a par with Phil's studio albums, although it wasn't like I was tracking it closely. I feel like there haven't been a lot of huge live albums in general since the 80s (since the 70s?) other than the Unplugged releases.

12. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

A lot of the albums on that list reflect a moment. They sold absolutely HUGE numbers for a small period of time. Phil Collins' entry on the list is one of those. The planets aligned when the album came out and there you go...

13. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Not so. They were in debt until Trick Of The Tail. After that, they started making money for themselves and the label

Brother_Rael and lightbulb like this.
  14. Stephen J

Stephen J Forum Resident

I don't think Genesis sold anywhere near 150 million albums. Maybe 30 million tops? Genesis didn't even have a platinum album in the USA until 1980.

Collins beat that by a mile. He had far more solo hits.

ARK and sunspot42 like this.
  15. Neither of those is even remotely a surprise. I also prefer Genesis' music, but I remember Phil as a solo artist having much more of a crossover.

ARK likes this.
  16. Stephen J

Stephen J Forum Resident

Genesis has 22.5 million USA RIAA-certified album shipments, and 17 top 40 singles, almost all of them after Phil became a solo superstar.

All of their top 10 hits are from "Invisible Touch", which is basically a Collins solo album itself in terms of style and songwriting. Has nothing to do with the "progressive rock" 1970s Genesis, the peer of Yes and ELP.

Collins has 33.5 million in USA RIAA-certified album shipments, and 22 top 40 singles, including 7 number one singles.

Collins sold far more records than Genesis, and it shouldn't surprise anyone really.

ARK, 24voltsdc, shaboo and 3 others like this.
  17. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

According to that list, "We Can't Dance" has outsold "Abbey Road." That can't be right.

18. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I'm not surprised either.

19. gabbleratchet7

gabbleratchet7 Forum Resident

Not a surprise for me either. Until Calling All Stations, each Genesis album outsold its predecessor. That only We Can't Dance and Invisible Touch rate on that list shows how a few massive albums for Phil can trump a career's worth of decent selling records for Genesis.

[​IMG]

20. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

That list is complete BS! No way in hell did Phil Collins outdo MJ in the 80's. :laugh:

21. Say

Say Forum Resident

and Britney Spears sold 78,000,000 records.

22. Squealy

It's not counting records sold, it's counting the number of hit singles and albums. Phil was way more prolific than Michael in the 80s (not to mention they put his numbers together with Genesis') so yeah, he would have more hit records.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
    ARK, shaboo and sunspot42 like this.
  23. Cyberhog9

Cyberhog9 Forum Resident

No surprise.Genesis was a prog rock band that didn't get much airplay until they turned sort of rock and rolly.I had a local all request radio station that played all kinds of so called progressive bands,ie Crimson,Yes,Zappa,ELP et cetera and Genesis did not get any local traction.
    I'm not knocking all you proggy Genesis's fans.They just didn't get airplay in my neck of the woods.

That said.Umm I done rambling.

ARK likes this.
  24. Say

Say Forum Resident

I'd like to see a follow up study polling people if they still listen to Phil Collins.

Scope J likes this.
  25. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

Am not surprised one bit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.