When are you a "fan"?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Donfrance, Jul 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Donfrance

Donfrance As honest as a politician. Thread Starter

I know, we all here, consider ourselves fans of the well known ... "Take Your Pick". Otherwise we wouldn't be here. But when are you a fan? What are the rules (laws?) that make that you can say: I am a Fan!

Do you have to posses all their work? (And do you have to know it by heart?)

Do you have to listen to it, let's say, at least weekly? Some of us have a few weeks more than others, does this automatically imply that the more you listen to "TYP" the (and here's a term for the next dictionary edition) "fanner" you are? (I'm fanner than you, you amateur radio listener, I've got TYP's latest single and I'm going to listen to it... a thousand times, before tomorrow, you'll see!)

Do you have to go and see "live"? How far and how often?

But what if they are, the late TYP? Do you have to do a sort of " Pay your respect and thank you for the music, pilgrimage? Is there a travel limit?

Do you have to be a member of a "fan club"? (When is a fan club, a fan club?)

Please, shine your light(s) on this and share your thoughts.

Jarleboy likes this.
  2. Harvest Your Thoughts

Harvest Your Thoughts Forum Resident

If you are prepared to blow, you are a fan.

Cassiel, Holy Diver and johnaltman like this.
  3. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

When you can write an essay about said artist or album.

Jarleboy likes this.
  4. MaltairX

MaltairX Well-Known Member

I think of fan as "fanatic". Fanatic as obsessive. I prefer "enthusiast" as I try to avoid obsessions.
    The picture on this page of the "Elvis" fan is appropriate.
    http://www.thefreedictionary.com/fanatic
    Also the quote from Winston Churchill.
    "A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject."

5. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

There are a very small group of artists who's work I will buy sight unseen because I've consistently loved them over the years and/or because I want to support them. Now that artists are doing a lot of their own releasing, etc. I like to know that I can support them directly and I think the result, in most cases, is better music. I guess for these artists, I am an uber-fan.

As far as wanting to meet or interact with them or driving miles in the snow to see them live, I dunno. I'm getting a little old for that and I think so are most of the bands I like. I regret not seeing that last Throbbing Gristle show at Kezar a few years ago, my one chance to see them, but then again, some friends told me the show was kind of sad and that they could tell Gen wasn't really into it, so maybe I don't regret it after all. You never know.

At this point, especially with the internet and all, I think I can successfully be a fan and, more importantly, be supportive, from the comfort of my listening room...

DesertHermit likes this.
  6. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

When you actually buy sh*tty product by an artist that you like,
    just so you can hear it.

7. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Pamela Des Barres must have been a very dedicated fan (wink wink).

8. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

I think it varies.

I'll say anything from 'big fan' (having virtually everything available and maybe multiple issues, if applicable, of their albums) to 'not much of a fan' (which means I might like a few songs, at best.) A proper fan, would have a sound knowledge and a substantial collection of their music and possibly still be endevouring to find more oddities (for want of a better word) e.g. solo and related works... also DVDs and books.

A fanatic would collect concert programs and other memorabilia and look for every pressing they could lay their hands on. Going to shows could be something anyone does but trying to be at every single one would be what a fanatic would have to do - I'd think.

9. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

Being a fan is difficult. One hint that you are a fan of someone: 1. You buy their latest single/album. 2. You play it on your stereo. 3. Repeat until you like it. NO MATTER WHAT.

10. Tough question and more difficult to answer than what it may seem. I haven't figured it out yet.

11. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

I think as long as you appreciate an artist, you may be called a "fan". You can own no music and still be a fan.
    Taking it to an extreme and collecting all sorts of things is more of a "diehard fan".

johnaltman, Jarleboy and Johnny Vinyl like this.
  12. BigManRestless

BigManRestless Forum Resident

Whenever you feel like it I guess. Maybe buying back catalogue / new releases unheard because you like/have the majority of other stuff by the artist? Maybe when you pick up stuff that said artist has sited as an influence too.

13. That's a good way of looking at it. :agree:

Jarleboy likes this.
  14. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

My definition is when I start to collect live performances, whether on CD, vinyl, or just digital, I consider myself a fan of the band.

15. PsychGuy

PsychGuy Forum Resident

When you are prepared to buy albums that may not be very good, just to "support the artist."

16. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

I'd say you'd have to have the vast majority of an artists catalogue to be a "fan" maybe not all the b-sides and different pressings and stuff but just a solid chunk of catalogue.

DesertHermit likes this.
  17. Donfrance

Donfrance As honest as a politician. Thread Starter

I presume in case of an all girls band you have to lick the strapon?

18. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

When you finally resort to stalking.

19. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

I agree, and I believe the opposite is also true. It is possible to accumulate over the years a large percentage of a artist's output and not really be a fan.

20. kendo

kendo Forum Resident

I'm with the band on that one, Lightworker! :)

21. csampson

csampson Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Jarleboy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.