You can rent/check out DVDs and Blu-Rays for free at the library!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris_G, Jul 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

I've been using the local library for years as a supplement to our Netflix queue. Mostly get TV shows so we can binge watch, but have found quite a few documentaries and some new releases that Netflix doesn't carry too. In addition, I'd say 90 percent of the new music I listen to comes from the library.

2. Chris_G

Chris_G Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Is Linkcat available to anyone? How do you use it?

3. sgtmono

sgtmono Seasoned Member

That link I posted is specifically for the SCLS (South Central Wisconsin Library System) network. Anyone can browse with it, but to put holds on stuff you have to have a library card from a participating library. I just posted it to demonstrate selection.

4. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

I now have a new definition of cheap.:cheers:

5. Tyler Chastain

Tyler Chastain Forum Resident

And these old fashioned paper objects called "buks" I believe

Aggie87 likes this.
  6. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I'd encourage people using their library for DVDs to search the catalogue before they say "the library doesn't have anything." DVD collections in libraries circulate heavily, even now (more actually since most video stores have closed). What's on the shelf is only a portion of what's in the system, and because users have placed holds discs will go through dozens of users without ever hitting the shelves. See what the library actually has and put discs on reserve. Though you may be waiting a while.

Unfortunately, the chances you'll get a DVD that is battered to hell and won't play or will freeze are pretty high. I don't know what the heck people are doing to these discs at home. Stomping on them?

Blu-rays have turned out to be kind of a dud in our system and we've slowed down on buying them. It feels like the typical Blu-ray user buys the discs they want and the typical library user doesn't have a Blu-ray player.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
  7. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

You can also check out free books at the library! Sometimes they even GIVE them away, and you don't have return them!

8. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

It's not theirs, so they don't care. It's free stuff. It'll be treated like free stuff (ie, crappy).

9. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

Neflix movie selection (streaming That Is) doesn't even come close to the NYPL ,not to mention they have The Good Wife and other TV shows missing from Netflix

10. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Is Linkcat anything like Worldcat?
    https://www.worldcat.org

Darryl

11. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

I figured out how to game Netflix where I can get 8 movies out and I pay an extra 2 or 3 bucks a month above the single disc plan. Think about it - you can do it too. I confused their system last time, now I have 11 movies out on my single disc plan. I feel no guilt in doing this whatsoever. They used to throttle my movies back in 2009 and this was after they lost a class action suit for throttling, so it's fair game on Netflix as far as I'm concerned. Fight the power!

12. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I tried this but, I got tired of DVDs skipping!

13. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

One of my favorite things a bout my local library is that I can pick up documentary DVDs that I would never have seen.
    These are not as scratched as the regular movies.

Darryl

14. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

Or even worse, with adhesive residue on it that is transferred to the clamping mechanism in your player when you play it.

15. ManFromCouv

ManFromCouv Employee #3541

I believe it all started with books, then they jumped the shark and got into the magazines and newspapers racket.

16. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

The local library here was blamed for putting our local video/music store out of business.
    They've always had a pretty large selection. And a very generous endowment. Financial endowment, that is.
    The TV series section is about as big as the movie section.
    And they've got more blu-rays than I have the time to watch.

I'm just too lazy to take advantage of it.

17. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

I used to love Central Milwaukee library, amazing.

18. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I have not checked out movies from a library, but I know several people who have. I may do it sometime.

19. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

You fellas don't realize how well-off you are with public libraries lending
    dvds. It's unheard of down here. Plus you cannot rent anywhere anymore. It's either you buy the movie (original or pirated) or download illegally. I don't want to watch any movie twice, so....:D

20. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Some even have water fountains with free water! And librarians with pencils stuck in their hair buns. If you talk too loud I suspect those pencils can become little missiles.

21. funhouse

funhouse Senior Member

Hey, one of your Sheboygan librarians called me at work the other day. She thought she was calling a nearby library in WI, but called my town in NY (same name). Not sure if she had a hair bun.

Anyway, it's too bad the OP just discovered library DVDs, since modern libraries are way more savvy than you may think and are already planning for the coming demise of optical discs (unlike most of you ;)) At least where I work we are - patrons can now borrow a Roku streaming stick with access to our VUDU account.

22. dustybooks

dustybooks rabbit advocate

I'm one of the folks cataloging all these DVDs for y'all, glad you like. Our DVD selection still moves like crazy, and I'm in a rural library.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.