Led Zeppelin Remasters in 2014+ to include 2nd disc of bonus material (Pt 8)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry, Feb 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I assumed it was something to do with thinking the song was too pop, but I mean, it's not like it's "Raindrops Keep Fallin' On My Head." It's not like pop songs other rock bands have put out where you constantly see the rocker fans griping about it.

2. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Awesome! Enjoy!

3. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Working my way thru Coda Deluxe. Disc 2 is incredible...onto disc 3. This has to be the release of the year.

bigal00769, Giorgio, tmtomh and 2 others like this.
  4. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

Great question. This is one of my all time favorite Led Zeppelin tracks. Certainly the best non-album track IMHO.

5. Forgive me if this has been asked before, but has any of the new bonus material on Coda been newly mixed, or were all the new extra tracks on Coda mixed at the time of the recording?

6. ledsox

ledsox Senior Member

Word is, no new mixing was done for any of these reissues. No multitracks were touched or harmed in this process.

tmtomh likes this.
  7. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

One would hope so, given how compressed most of the Zep live CD's are; those recordings could certainly sound better with decent mastering.

Trapper J and Jonboy like this.
  8. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

No. There are rumors that an Earls Court '75 box set could be the next Zeppelin project, but nothing has been substantiated. JP alluded to a chronological live set a couple of times during the 70's and then after the band broke up as an alternative for Coda. Then he announced he was working on a chronological live box set circa '93, but allegedly did not have Plant's support, so the project stalled. It is more than likely that he assumes the DVD filled the void.

tmtomh and Trapper J like this.
  9. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Got all three vinyl editions. Have ITTOD as we speak. Fool In The Rain sounds terrific.

bigal00769, Zep Fan, tmtomh and 2 others like this.
  10. Sathington Willoughby

Sathington Willoughby Well-Known Member

Ok, here's my final draft, this makes the run times more even. Moby Dick works after Stairway, right? Like in the TSRTS film.

Disc One:

1. "Whole Lotta Love" (Rough Mix with Vocal)
    2. "La La" (Intro/Outro Rough Mix)
    3. "Since I've Been Loving You" (Rough Mix of First Recording)
    4. "That's the Way" (Rough Mix with Dulcimer & Backwards Echo)
    5. "Key to the Highway/Trouble in Mind" (Rough Mix)
    6. "Stairway to Heaven" (Sunset Sound Mix)
    7. "Moby Dick" Live – Olympia, Paris, 10 October 1969

Running Time: approx. 44 minutes

Disc Two:

1. "The Song Remains the Same" (Guitar Overdub Reference Mix)
    2. "Everybody Makes It Through" ("In the Light") (Early Version/In Transit)
    3. "10 Ribs & All/Carrot Pod Pod (Pod)" (Reference Mix)
    4. "In the Evening" (Rough Mix)
    5. "If It Keeps On Raining" ("When the Levee Breaks") (Rough Mix)
    6. "Friends" (Bombay Orchestra)
    7. "St. Tristan's Sword" (Rough Mix)

Running Time: approx. 41 minutes

:righton::cool:

11. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Here's some alternate titles they considered, but ended up going with the more straightforward "Mix" title, since "Carrot Pod Pod (Pod)" was already taken.
    [​IMG]

Sathington Willoughby likes this.
  12. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I don't agree with you

13. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

[​IMG]

The collection is complete!

14. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Well now, that shore is purty.

SpinningInfinity, Sean and qtrules like this.
  15. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Did you clean it yet?

16. dee

dee Senior Member

I like the sound of the alternate ALS. The kick drum and bass guitar in the alternate For Your Life. They seem to have an appealing wide stereo mix to them and I like the balance and tonality of the Presence alternate disc too.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
    tmtomh likes this.
  17. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Cleaned before playing and also used Last fluid. I think these were just "dehorning" pops like with most new vinyl and were no big deal. It's quieter than my Optimal pressing of HotH.

18. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Glad you had no major issues with your albums.

19. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

I wouldn't even say I have minor issues. I only mentioned pops because saying they were dead quiet would have been false. They're just good new vinyl pressings, and those tend to have pops here and there! :righton:

bigal00769, tmtomh and Tommyboy like this.
  20. dee

dee Senior Member

At first I thought it was a little unusual but when the band comes in good call on Rain Song. Perhaps reminds me a little of Thank You and even Tangerine too though not sure exactly why right now.

Same guitar solo in Royal Orleans? I don't even remember one lol but that must be a memory trick! Out of curiosity does the count in occupy the same space as the lead vocal? Will have to listen on headphones but Page wrote Dave Lewis it was Plant on vocals.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
    tmtomh likes this.
  21. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

Yeah I left for work early hoping Walmart would stock them. Naturally they didn't. I went to FYE and bought all three deluxe editions on lunch. I wasn't planning on buying Coda, probably ever, but it was marked down from the list price and there were three discs. More Zeppelin... why not? Have yet to listen to them, but I'm very glad to have them. A little bit disappointed about the packaging for In Through The Out Door. It's a replica of the LP, but I wish they had put a standard LZ (like the one for Presence) case in the paper bag. I wanted to take off the bag and keep it with my Houses Of The Holy banner but it doesn't look like I'll be able to do that now.

Does the single-disc version of In Through The Out Door have a standard case? I don't think any were stocked when I went there, although I just checked the front display because I was in a hurry. If it does I will buy it and keep the deluxe edition somewhere safe.

22. dee

dee Senior Member

My take on the companions has been very mixed but this mix :) and sound of ALS sounds fantastic to me. It doesn't seem disparate or comprised of sections or overdubs or one of those things. It just seems to flow so very consistently and evenly to my ears. Really enjoying this Presence fest! What a committed and strong vocal on For Yout Life! The guitar solos. Track sounds great to my ears. The sequencing of Pod where it is has a calming and soothing effect after the manic energy of the first two tracks.

tmtomh and ledsox like this.
  23. Vinyl Fan 1973

Really tempted to jump right to Coda, but I'll start at Presence. Disc one and so far really happy with this. Definitely more Omph than my Diament CD.

[​IMG]

moofassa_ca, Giorgio, snkcube and 5 others like this.
  24. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

That is a great double LP, and would make an excellent C90 on a Maxell XL-II.

But I would feel a bit cheated on a 2 cd! :(

Sathington Willoughby and JasonA like this.
  25. Vinyl Fan 1973

Damn, that's a show stopper. Sweet.

Sean likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.