Re-creating TV show and movie sets for later projects

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by PaulKTF, Jul 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

Sometimes a set used for a TV show or movie has to be re-created later for another TV show or movie or some other project.

For example, The Brady Bunch TV show set was re-created for The Brady Bunch movie very faithfully.

Here's a re-creation of the apartment from Seinfeld:

http://www.villagevoice.com/news/je...created-to-promote-shows-hulu-arrival-7297954

The Three's Company apartment was re-created for an unofficial TV movie about the show.

I assume they'll be re-creating the Full House house interior for Fuller House.

I always find it fascinating when they do this and how close they get to re-creating the original set in terms of the architecture and props.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  2. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

They recreated a wedge from the original Star Trek bridge for the Next Generation episode "Relics." I don't have any links, but there's a lot of info about it in ST books and on the DVD/blu-ray sets for Season 6. It was an emotional experience to walk on the set and sit in the Captain's chair for the writers and staff who are ST fans.

chilinvilin and wayne66 like this.
  3. PaulKTF

There's a good article about it on Memory Alpha (the Star Trek Wikia)

http://en.memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Constitution_class_sets#.22Relics.22

The TOS set was also re-created for a Deep Space Nine episode.

http://en.memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Trials_and_Tribble-ations_(episode)

chilinvilin and wayne66 like this.
  4. wayne66

wayne66 Forum Resident

The Gilligan's Island reunion movies recreated the lagoon and huts from the original series.

5. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

The several versions of The Honeymooners?

6. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

In BSG: Blood & Chrome they recreated using CGI the sets of the Battlestar Galactica 2004/2009 series.

7. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

Psycho and the subsequent Psycho films?

8. AKA

AKA Senior Member

The Seinfeld apartment and diner sets were also rebuilt for Curb Your Enthusiasm.

somnar and Vidiot like this.
  9. minerwerks

minerwerks Forum Resident

It sounds like you're looking for things less obvious than rebuilding a set after a couple years for a direct sequel (like "Back to the Future Part II" for instance).

The challenge of battling time and the loss of memories or documentation to re-create as closely as possible something that now only exists on film... Very compelling to me as well.

"Prometheus" re-creating sets from "Alien" seems more what you're talking about.

I think it's interesting to see how closely a movie like "Love and Mercy" re-created the sets for Beach Boys television appearances, basically for a few minutes of screen time.

Robert Zemeckis' "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" recreated the staging for a Beatles appearance to fool us into thinking actual Beatles footage on monitors was happening live in the long shots. Though unless I'm mistaken, they did make the error of re-creating the set from the pre-taped segment that aired two weeks later instead of the performance that would have gone out live during that point in the movie.

Vidiot likes this.
  10. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

2001: A Space Odyssey and 2010.

11. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member

wayne66 likes this.
  12. PaulKTF

13. Trace

Trace Senior Member

Didn't Kramer "re-create" the set of the Merv Griffin show in his apartment in one episode of Seinfeld?

I know, a bit off-topic, but had to throw it out there.

14. PaulKTF

LOL! Yes, he did! :)

15. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

16. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Star Wars: Attack of The Clones recreated the Lars Homestead sets. Probably the best thing about the movie. Revenge of the Sith recreated the the Tantive IV interior (shame the CGI of the ship exterior looked so lame). The upcoming movie recreates the Millennium Falcon interior and looks very impressive in the glimpses we've seen.

minerwerks likes this.
  17. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

*shutter* Bad way to go about that.

18. wayne66

wayne66 Forum Resident

A true labor of love. I really want to see them recreate the interior of the Enterprise and use the voice work from Star Trek: The Animated Series and the Computer Game episodes and CGI the original actors and create the 4th and 5th year of the original five year mission, live action style. New actors can play the guest starring characters and the supporting crewman. The original series music and sound effects can be used. They just need realistic CGI animation. Michael Douglas in Ant-Man apparently was de-aged very realistically, so the technology is getting better.

DesertChaos likes this.
  19. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member

The webisodes that Vic Mignogna and crew have made are actually pretty good. Not great, but pretty good. I like the second and third episodes better than the first, and haven't watched the fourth yet. Vic (Kirk) and Todd Haberkorn (Spock) are well-known voice actors who've done lots of Anime work (well-known to fans of Anime, that is). They also have Chris Doohan playing Scotty, and yes, he's James Doohan's son. Chuck Huber (McCoy) is also an Anime voice-actor (among other talents). Grant Imahara, famous for his association with Mythbusters, plays Sulu. Together, they all do a creditable job of recreating the look and feel of TOS. IMO, Huber is the weak link in the cast, he just hasn't gotten the character of McCoy right. Don't get me wrong, his acting isn't bad, I'm just not keen on his interpretation of the character. All in all, Star Trek Continues, is indeed a labor of love; they're doing it because they love Star Trek, and for no other reason (they're not making any money on it, they're not allowed to by virtue of the copyright terms.) BTW, I had the pleasure of (very) briefly meeting Vic at Anime Weekend Atlanta, and he is a super nice guy. As for digitizing the original cast and doing GG animated episodes, I'd be okay with that as well, since I've been a huge Trek fan since the '60s.

Sorry for the derailment. Now, back to your regularly scheduled thread....

Vidiot and wayne66 like this.
  20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The joke was he found it in the trash somewhere in Manhattan. It makes no sense, since the last 12-13 years of the Merv Griffin Show were actually shot at the Celebrity Theater on Vine Street in LA. On the other hand, Kramer's apartment was really in LA, so...

The problem for all these recreations is that the sets have long since been tossed, and they can't always locate the plans, either. In some cases, I think they've been able to track down the original designers who did still have access to the architectural and CAD-CAM construction drawings. The sets are generally very, very cheaply built and not intended to last for more than a year or two. Even "permanent" sets for TV series have to be refurbished every year, and they fall apart pretty quickly.

I know of cases where they rebuilt sets just by consulting dozens and dozens of still photographs of the original. Getting the perspective right and the depth right is tough.

I seem to recall that the sets for the Dick Van Dyke Show were rebuilt twice -- once for a 1969 variety special with Dick & Mary, and again in 2004 for an official reunion special with Rose Marie. The living room looks very different in color.

minerwerks and quadjoe like this.
  21. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member

Regarding your last paragraph, do you know if they kept to the original color scheme that would have been used for black & white photography, or if they came up with a color scheme that looked good in color? The latter seems logical to me, as I know that colors were chosen for black & white that provided interesting contrast in monochrome, and wouldn't necessarily have been appealing in color. I seem to recall reading somewhere (perhaps even this forum) that one of the reasons (certainly not the most important one) that the Dick Van Dyke Show was cancelled was that redecorating the sets for color wasn't in the budget, nor was the extra lighting needed for color photography.

22. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

They remade The Brady Bunch house for The Brady Brides, at least in the pilot episode.

23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

There are filters that the art director and the cinematographer can use to simulate the look on set in B&W, and they'd choose colors and gray scales for costumes, makeup, and sets accordingly.

There are shows that had budget issues when changing to color, but a sitcom isn't dependent on stunts or explosions or locations, so it wouldn't have changed that much. Actress Rose Marie has said many times that if The Dick Van Dyke Show had switched to color, it could've gone on another couple of years and made more money... but the two lead stars and Carl Reiner were convinced they had better careers ahead in features.

24. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

the stair case in the Beverly Hills mansion was used for a few movies, but the titles escape me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.