Be Bop Deluxe - "At The BBC 1974-1978" Box Set Coming Sept. 16th!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jsayers, Aug 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gouster

gouster New Member

This is a truly great release and I haven't stopped playing it since it dropped through the letterbox. The omission of the Feb 76 Peel Session is strange because it was released on the "Tramcar" CD. However, I wish it had included the Nov 73 Peel Session which circulates in fair - but not brilliant - quality and includes two unrecorded songs. I would also liked to have it include the June 75 In Concert which would have provided great representation from that period.

As mentioned earlier, it would have been good for the set to have included Ships In The Night from TOTP which makes me think that the Maid In Heaven TOTP backing track on Futurist Manifesto maybe should have been on the BBC set instead? Mind you, it's strange that Ships In The Night is referred to as being the only Be Bop TOTP appearance so why would they have recorded that particular backing track?

Finally, for collectors and completists, it is worth noting that the BBC In Concert Jan 78, Sight and Sound Feb 78 and BBC Rock Hour Apr 78 recordings are from the same show, ie Golders Green Hippodrome 19 Jan 78. I'm sure that this is probably common knowledge but I often come across sites/posts which refer to these as being different.

2. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I've finally made my way through this set and it is really really great!!! The DVD is a treat, seeing the band in such improved quality (over my old fan circulated VHS tapes). The sound on the DVD is great as well. Charlie & Bill's vocals intertwining are really nice.

To my surprise, although I am not checking the tracks vs. what I already have on Tramcar/Radioland/Tremulous Antenna/etc I could swear I am hearing stuff that I don't remember already having officially (but it could just be my faulty memory). One of the versions of Blazing Apostles sounded new to me, as well as Shine (which is credited as "Still Shining" for some weird reason).

Despite what Bill may think of his work in the 70's now, this release is a worthy testament to his guitar playing brilliance. A very unique and underrated player IMO.

Jvalvano and DesertChaos like this.
  3. evh5150

evh5150 Forum Resident

I haven't read the thread yet, but I think the Sight and Sound gig is one I saw in the last couple of years, replayed on BBC Four. I hope it is, because that gig was a cracker!

4. thgord

thgord In Search of My Next Euphoric Groove

Holy S**t! I am usually on the lookout for stuff like this and am thrilled with the comprehensiveness of this package. I have some of the BBC recordings already, but based on what I've gathered, this still has a lot that I don't have, + the DVD. I'll add the gratitude for the heads-up!!

"Go and tell all your friends
    that you've witnessed the end
    of the world in a dream"

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
    jsayers likes this.
  5. thgord

These guys were playing at my first concert back in 1976 in support of Modern Music. They were 2nd billed with Angel and Blue Oyster Cult who was headlining at the L.A. Forum. Fantastic show. I think I had just turned 15 and that experience is indelibly etched in my memory.

Jvalvano likes this.
  6. Sandinista

Sandinista Forum Resident

Be Bop Deluxe, Angel and Blue Oyster Cult. Now there's a line up.

7. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

I remember that show too!

8. thgord

Angel was 3rd billed and put on a Helluva show in support of their "Helluva Band" album. I recall they were quite impressive and launched my fanboy status.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  9. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

So the video and sound tops this?

10. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting.... Thread Starter

Now you can't expect miracles! :laugh:

11. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

Totally agree regaring the original album CDs. Huge dissapointment. Can't wait to hear the BBC set. Ordered it the other day for $19.95 at Deep Discount DVD.

12. bt1098

bt1098 Forum Resident

Just got this one in the mail. Thanks for the reco's. Always been a fan, and to finally see some of the video really adds to my appreciation of this band...If only I had seen them back in the day. Bill Nelson is one truly under-appreciated artists and guitar player!

13. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

It never ceases to amaze me that Bill Nelson isn't more widely acknowledged as one of the greatest guitarist ever. Might have to do with his retiring image and demeanor: he looks like a public accountant, has a name to match, and doesn't wield his guitar like a giant phallus whilst on stage.

14. moops

moops Senior Member

15. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

I just came here to post that price: less than £1.50 a disc is a real steal.

moops likes this.
  16. jsayers

17. moops

moops Senior Member

Are you sure ?

Currently £6.30 at the link above ?

18. jsayers

Weird - that link takes me to the Amazon US site!

19. moops

moops Senior Member

Huh ? ...... yep, weird would be a good word for it ! :confused:

Hope you can grab a copy.

20. keef285

keef285 Forum Resident

Just ordered a copy from Amazon UK still £6.30.........bargain.

21. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Dropped down to 5.25GBP
    Plus 3.08 GBP parcel
    = 8.33 GBP
    = $13.51 USD

For 3CD/1DVD, that's $3.38 per disc

DesertChaos likes this.
  22. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

I think Bill puts his artistic integrity above everything else and I believe it has cost him. Going from Be-Bop Deluxe to Red Noise and Quit Dreaming - those are two of the most important and influential albums to come out of that era and two of my all time favorites, but they are not in any way mainstream albums and I think that was a bit of a career suicide moment for Bill. Then to exacerbate that, he proceeded to release a batch of albums comprised of nothing but weird little instrumentals. The man follows his muse and that's a reason I'm a huge fan but I think it's cost him mainstream success and now I think he is viewed as more of an artist's artist.

Having said that, I do think Bill and his music are ripe for rediscovery and I do think that's starting to happen. There's so gosh darn much of it, it simply can't be ignored!

I am surprised someone hasn't tried to do a documentary or something. Bill would be a fascinating subject.

23. Forgot about this. Thanks for reminding me whomever revived this thread but my wife hates you.

DesertChaos and jsayers like this.
  24. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

The change in direction - to more of a new wave/post-pop bent - started with Drastic Plastic and became more pronounced with Sound-On-Sound and Quit Dreaming, and formed a trilogy of sorts. Then Bill moved more into synth-pop/new romantic mode with The Love that Whirls and Chimera. I don't think the music of the above albums as being that far out of the mainstream. In fact, it was in sync with a lot of what was going on in the wake of the punk revolution. But the problem career wise was that it wasn't in sync with the guitar rock of Futurama and Sunburst Finish, and many of Nelson's fans weren't prepared to follow him on his musical journey.
    I'd love to see a multiple artist tribute album to Nelson. If done correctly, it could showcase "Bill Nelson the songwriter" and expose his songs to a wider audience.
    Totally agree. I'd be happy with a Be Bop Deluxe retrospective documentary, or a more contemporaneous look at Bill Nelson the working musician, following along as he tackles his next project.

jsayers likes this.
  25. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

This 8-disc Bill Nelson box set on The Esoteric label gives a fine and comprehensive career overview of his best work out of the mountains of recordings he's done: http://www.amazon.com/Practice-Everyday-Life-Celebrating-Recordings/dp/B005Q9F83O/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1438471526&sr=1-1&keywords=bill nelson box set
    There's also a stellar in-studio live concert DVD which has Bill performing classic BeBop, Red Noise, and solo songs with a crack band that includes Theo Travis on saxophone. He does a solo segment at the end with his electronics and loops that is stupendously good. And, his guitar chops are just as amazing and blazing as ever. http://www.amazon.com/Live-Concert-Metropolis-Studios-London/dp/B007WR332G

Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
    boboquisp, jsayers and DesertChaos like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.