Olivia Newton-John. Yay or Nay?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobby Morrow, Jun 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

I agree with most of this, but only 12 tracks from 'Olivia' are featured on '48 Original Tracks'. Get it right, boy.:D

I know I've been a bit harsh on the 'Physical' SHM CD, but I do believe it to be pretty poor. I heard distortion on 'Landslide', 'Make A Move On Me' and 'Carried Away' to name but three, but I haven't played it in a while so may have blown it up a little in my mind.:D Certainly, if you don't mind your CDs loud, the SHM is fine. And the packaging is the best of the lot of them.

Nice of @Chris_Sydney to be so thorough. I agree with most of his choices too. I do like the SHM of 'The Rumour', when I can bring myself to play that dismal album anyway.:D

kingrommel, Jarleboy and Chris_Sydney like this.
  2. Chris_Sydney

Chris_Sydney Forum Resident

Ah, correct! I'd forgotten it omitted 'Behind That Locked Door' and 'I Will Touch You'. I adore the latter, so that is a loss for me! In which case, I'd replace that recommendation with the Japanese Pastmasters disc of the 'Olivia' album for the best sound quality for the full album. ;)

Actually I really like the SHM-CD of 'The Rumour' too, and that version adds both 'Winter Angel' and 'It's Always Australia For Me'. I should have definitely put that in my recommendation for those reasons alone. Like the SHM-CD of 'Soul Kiss', I think that the louder mastering works well with the largely synthesised sounds of the album.

x

kingrommel and Bobby Morrow like this.
  3. kingrommel

kingrommel Forum Resident

Wow, thanks for posting this Great list. :wave: I was going to try and weed out the versions to avoid and ones to get. I expect to keep a good eye on the MCA ones especially when looking for other titles.

For fun i washed the the (remastered) Australian Physical CD through the PC and see that it has a DR9 figure and is slightly cropped on Audacity - but it does sound great none the less. (slightly louder but not bricked that much). The LP version i have is just slightly better to my ears, however my (humble) equipment may play some a part in that i think!

The DR average rating for the MCA CD (according to http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/82148 ) is DR13 which is expected for 80's CDs accross the board.

I expect the MCA on having more DR range is probably like the LP version i have - & i would love to grab a copy to hear this. as it will probably sound better for me, than the vinyl.
    Its either the Japan Original or MCA for me!

I have had a look at the box set or aka mouth watering 'Olivias Box' on earlier versions ( @Bobby Morrow ;) ) , but as its way out of my price range, i going to build up gradually. It does look stunning though!

My next new listen will be 'The Rumour' at some point in the next few weeks and i will then delve into the 70's after that. I will be posting a mini review of Soul kiss later today now that ive listened to it quite a few times.:wiggle:

4. Bobby Morrow

The original MCA 'Physical' should suit you fine. Nice artwork too.

The box set is lovely. I'd recommend it to anyone. It was nearly £200 when I bought it in the week of release, so it's never been cheap.:D

@Chris_Sydney did a great job of summing up the best sounding CD releases.

Looking forward to your 'Soul Kiss' review. I still can't work out from what you've said so far if you like it or not.:D

kingrommel likes this.
  5. kingrommel

@Chris_Sydney did me a big favour and this and your views have helped a lot in deciding version for me - thanks both and all here for all the suggestion so far! :righton:

Its can be hard to decide when box sets come out - Ive seen artists release the 'collection' for a couple of hundred pounds then later the price is quartered because some other redux is planned or it doesnt really sell. And in this case of the box set - its went through the roof!
    Ive seen Amazon sometimes dropping prices boxsets down for a week and they go back up a week later. - Probably this site and others are to blame as someone notices the drop and posts this - when people suddenly buy - Amazon catches on , and then the price goes up. Bizzarre really!

As for Soul Kiss, - i will keep the suspense up til later today :shh:

Chris_Sydney and Bobby Morrow like this.
  6. Bobby Morrow

I've never, ever seen that Olivia box even close to cheap. Her stuff is very collectable for some reason.

Have you looked at her section on Esprit? It's immense!

kingrommel likes this.
  7. Bobby Morrow

http://eil.com/fulltext/search.asp?...e=&sort=-C-F&artlist=0&artcode=ONJ&prodtype=1

This is Olivia on Esprit. See what I mean? Esprit are hideously expensive as you can see. :D

kingrommel likes this.
  8. kingrommel

I too find Esprit are a bit steep. ive bought one or two things over the years and they now sell on Ebay also. your kinda paying extra for getting an accurate condition rating from them - so if its mint or EX - then it is. Ive been ripped off by a few independants out there saying its mint and its like EX- or something. (and Ebay is wild west for inaccurate descriptions :wantsome:but you sometimes get a bargain (photos work wonders on sleeve covers for LP's)).

But if i see something on Esprit i like, i check Ebay, Music Stack or Discogs to see if its available at less than this. :)

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  9. kingrommel

I can spend days on that site! I hate it when they have a list of ALL their previous items which are now sold out - knowing you cant get them and would pay a fortune for Esprit to get them for you.

I use Music Stack now and then and Encore sometimes.

https://www.musicstack.com/records-cds/olivia newton john

http://www.encorerecords.com/discography.aspx?artist=OLIVIA+NEWTON+JOHN

Are there any otheres (as well as discogs) you use or reccomend?

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  10. Bobby Morrow

When I first started collecting in the 80's, Esprit were the best around. I got lots of my Olivia stuff from them. They always knew how to charge.:D

kingrommel likes this.
  11. Bobby Morrow

I mostly get my stuff from Amazon now. Don't really 'collect' that much anymore. If I want new SHM or SACDs, there are a couple of good Japanese sellers I use on eBay.

kingrommel likes this.
  12. Bobby Morrow

13. Bobby Morrow

kingrommel and Chris_Sydney like this.
  14. Bobby Morrow

15. kingrommel

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  16. Bobby Morrow

http://eil.com/shop/moreinfo.asp?catalogid=607010

This was the only UK Physical poster as far as I remember. I had this too.

kingrommel likes this.
  17. kingrommel

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  18. Bobby Morrow

They're still rolled up in the loft. I had loads of them!

Pizza and kingrommel like this.
  19. Bobby Morrow

kingrommel likes this.
  20. kingrommel

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  21. Bobby Morrow

They've had that for years and can't sell it. Believe it or not, the first price was £695:yikes:

Pizza and kingrommel like this.
  22. kingrommel

23. Bobby Morrow

I have the CD single of the first. It's a song I've never cared for, TBH. The original version is one of the 'new' songs on her 1992 'Back To Basics' xomp.

Never owned this remix of 'Physical', but I remember the UK ( as opposed to this one) 12" back then. The extended version of 'Physical' was the B-side to a re-released 'I Honestly Love You' single in 1982.

kingrommel likes this.
  24. Bobby Morrow

kingrommel likes this.
  25. kingrommel

Bobby Morrow likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.