Unfunny Comedies?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by driverdrummer, Jul 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Along with a little dog...o_Oo_O:)

2. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

In college we had to watch this in one of the literature classes I took. What it had to do with literature I never connected or understood, maybe it was because the professor was an old stoner? Anyway, she had presented it as a comedy and " this is the way it was" so maybe I was expecting something more? I see you this is on Netflix or Amazon Prime - maybe I will try it again based on what you said.

driverdrummer likes this.
  3. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident Thread Starter

Sounds like my former English professor.

Benno123 likes this.
  4. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

The reviews were pretty bad so I haven't bothered with it. Sequels are pretty much just a cash grab, I liked the first Hangover movie as well but the sequels dropped sharply downhill with each one.

5. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

You got that right...

Hutch and Benno123 like this.
  6. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

The stuff in the movie is funny if you lived in that era and were the right age, I guess. I've had other people in their teens, twenties, and thirties that they didn't like it, either, or understand it. I can only think that it's because they grew up in a more disciplined or conservative world, for lack of a better way to put it.

I still can't call it a comedy, but I guess that's the only way the studio, or writer/director Art Linklater, could market it.

7. Grant

OK, "National Lampoon's Vacation", the original one, was hilarious. I don't find anything else Chevy Chase has ever done as funny.

But, there's a new "Vacation" coming out, and he's in it. I'll have to see how funny it is. Too bad Michael Anthony Hall isn't in it.

Are you kidding me? That was a hilarious movie!

8. geoffr

geoffr Lifeguard in a carwash

9. Gordon Crisp

Gordon Crisp Forum Resident

This quote plus your location reminded me of a Mystery Science Theater riff burn where they said "This is either America 10 years ago or Canada today."

10. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

There are recent comedies that I like...

The Grand Budapest Hotel
    Zombieland
    We're the Millers
    This Is the End
    Blades of Glory
    Shaun of the Dead
    Scott Pilgrim

If you define "modern comedy" as something from the Judd Apatow universe, or something with Seth Rogen or Jonah Hill (This Is the End excepted), then there aren't many I like.

11. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

I've never seen anything with Adam Sandler that was funny.

Hutch and Peter_R like this.
  12. cabowabodude5150

cabowabodude5150 Forum Resident

man, some of ya'll are brutal!! how can you not crack a smile at fletch, dazed and confused, three amigos, the hangover, etc. smh, a lot of classics being listed as unfunny, wow, just wow!! don't find monty python funny double wow!!

chad

13. geo50000

geo50000 Forum Resident

Farts and groin-smashing are the new 'physical comedy', and profanity is the new 'wit'.
    The F-bombs in movies aren't even shocking anymore...they've become irritating speech tics as when someone constantly interjects 'like' or 'y'know' into every conversation.

14. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

"Meet the Fockers" is awesome - if you like to see Oscar-winners humiliate themselves and a baby say "a--hole" roughly 345 times.

I stand by my assertion that it's an unmitigated disaster:

http://www.dvdmg.com/meetthefockers.shtml

showtaper likes this.
  15. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

16. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Wait - you think farts/physical comedy/profanity are new to movies? :confusion:

17. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

"PROBLEM CHILD" - Just awful.

Oatsdad likes this.
  18. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Yeah, if only Henry Chaucer had a video camera.

Dudley Morris likes this.
  19. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

Have you seen Tammy? I thought it was the most irritating, unfunny film I'd seen in ages. Seriously... who gives this crap the greenlight? If Hollywood gave me the chance to make a comedy I'd certainly pitch something better than that. For as much as they are quoted, I don't find the movies of Adam Sandler or Will Ferrell very funny. I want to like them but I just don't find them funny.

Not that I don't like comedies! I love the nutty screwball classics such as Animal House, Airplane!, Caddyshack and The Blues Brothers... they are all films that are written and sequenced well. They may get stupid at parts, but they can get stupid funny. Each film is a long string of running gags where maybe not every joke works but most do. The newer comedies just sorely lack a lot of this.

There are exceptions! My Boss' Daughter and Scary Movie 3 & 4 were cut from the same cloth as Airplane!

20. geo50000

geo50000 Forum Resident

"New" as in it's become obligatory in nearly every comedy released in say, the last 20 years or so.

21. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident Thread Starter

This is why I started the thread. The toilet humor doesn't bother me but the F-Bombs do.

geo50000 likes this.
  22. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

That's probably so. I liked "Dazed And Confused" quite a bit, but don't think of it as a comedy. It has funny parts, but I categorize it as a coming of age story. A more current example of a similar type of movie would be "Adventureland", which I really love.

Grant likes this.
  23. Grant

neither one of them bother me.

24. Maseman66

Maseman66 Forum Resident

Just too many to name

25. farmingdad

farmingdad Forum Resident

Ever seen the Wedding Singer?

DLD likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.