RIP 'Rowdy' Roddy Piper

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by David Campbell, Jul 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ManFromCouv

ManFromCouv Employee #3541

Piper was just one the guys that made it all go. Great showman.

2. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

I guess he's all out of "kick ass" now, too.

Rest easy, Mr. Piper.

3. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Dang he was only two years older than me. Never cared about wrestling, but I always enjoyed "They Live".

4. Kevin W

Kevin W Well-Known Member

5. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

John Ritter
    Robert Palmer
    Luther Vandross
    John Hughes
    Davy Jones
    Whitney Houston
    James Gandolfini

Vidiot likes this.
  6. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

RIP

The 80's was a great time to be a wraslin' fan.

black sheriff and Sammy Banderas like this.
  7. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

This has upset me in a way I've not yet completely grasped. Piper was the first heel who really made an impression on me as a kid, mostly because he was so good at being bad that I, as a little kid obsessed with Hogan and every other face, couldn't quite understand my morbid fascination with him. When I got a little bit older, all of a sudden it was like, "ohhhhhhhh" and I realized just how important he was to the success of guys like Hogan could never have been as good as they appeared without Piper. So many have tried to imitate him since and no one has come close. The absolute best.

8. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

I never click "like" for anything here and I clicked like for your post. Excellent stuff.

It's great too because I was watching Piper smash the coconut over Snuka's head with my wife earlier tonight, and all the while he's calling Snuka a piece of garbage, and while he was a master a generating real heat for a feud, the irony is that Piper was the better human being of the two. You'd never get an inkling of that watching the character whipping "the islander" with his belt and taunting him with lines like, "You think you're big time, huh? Everybody wants to be big time, but you are nothing but garbage." But all the stories from folks over the years about how good Piper was to them, actively trying to help them and take them under his wing, how much he loved his family, and so forth...just nothing at all like the dirtbag he portrayed to make other wrestlers (and often lesser men) look better than him.

Sammy Banderas likes this.
  9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yep, I agree. I would add John Entwhistle to that list (heart attack from cocaine), as well as Bobby Hatfield of the Righteous Brothers (ditto), plus Jeff Porcaro from Toto. I worked on a John Ritter TV movie in the mid-1980s, and -- I think the statute of limitations has lifted -- the director complained to me that Ritter was way too wired on coke for some of the scenes and had difficulty giving him the performance he wanted. I thought it was fine, but I only saw the shots that wound up in the finished show.

10. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

Another classic Piper's Pit. "Just when they think they got the answers....I change the questions."

11. Commander Lucius Emery

Commander Lucius Emery Forum Resident

Wasn't there an HBO "Real Sports" segment a few years that featured Piper and talked about how wrestlers died 400% faster than normal?

12. bluenote

bluenote Forum Resident

Wait, are you saying john Ritter did a lot of coke?? If so, I honestly had no idea. Be had such a wholesome image

13. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Just checked his Wikipedia page and didn't see anything about cocaine use. That would be news to me as well. I don't believe that he was a user.

14. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

Very sad yes..... I love his 1996 movie MARKED MAN (Have it on VHS :))

15. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

I saw his Piper's Pit with Snuka as it first happened. The coconut bit was a brilliant piece of heeldom.

The Golden Age of wresting had some colorful and unforgettable characters.
    I can highly recommend the documentary on The Iron Sheik, The Sheik, for a look back at this era.

Moonbeam Skies likes this.
  16. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

Oooh, I saw that one and forgot all about it until I read the description. Thanks, have to chase it down.

17. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Same here... I actually can't stand wrestling, but I enjoyed listening to the commentary that Carpenter/Piper did for "They Live".... they sound like they're having a great time. :)

18. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Roddy probably had the longest fight scene in a movie...They Live it went on forever! gotta love 'em.

19. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

black sheriff and MaltairX like this.
  20. misko

misko Forum Resident

"That's Incredible!!!"

21. Moonbeam Skies

Moonbeam Skies Forum Resident

One of the best heels ever!
    Let us not forget the parking lot attack on Dusty Rhodes in Atlanta, with the help of Ole Anderson. I believe a lead pipe may have been involved.

black sheriff likes this.
  22. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

total blow. he was one of my favorites

23. MaltairX

MaltairX Well-Known Member

I think I've only seen "They Live" twice, and not for many years, yet it still sticks in my memory as the best fight scene I've every seen in any movie.
    I think I'll have to track it down and watch that movie again. I enjoy John Carpenter movies: Christine, Dark Star, The Thing
    I once had the LP for "Christine" in my hands but passed on it at the time. Been keeping my eye open for it ever since.

24. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

The Iron Sheik's Twitter posts are hysterical, but not for family viewing.

Beyond the Mat is another great record of that era.

Moonbeam Skies likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.