Ditch those tinted clear inners (RTI)!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Classicrock, Jul 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

------------------------
    There are even some pressing from Mo-Fi I don't like and I don't waste money on expensive sleeves, but that is just me. I have had no issues with the high quality white paper sleeves I've bought.

2. Ash76

Ash76 Wait actually yeah no

They're about $1 or more each here in Australia - that's pricy in my book

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  3. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

I have a lot of RTI pressed Rhino reissues albums, Ray Charles, Coltrane, talking heads,
    van morrison, joni Mitchell, James Taylor, probably 30 records right there. I've never
    seen a problem with any pink sleeves. I've also got about a dozen Music Matters 33 series,
    but those seem to all be in the clear inner sleeve.

I bought a few boxes of the Sleeve City ultimate audiophile sleeves, they are my go to
    replacement sleeve, I prefer a poly-lined paper sleeve but I do have to admit to thinking
    the thick RTI inner sleeve functions almost as well. But I'll probably swap out my pink
    ones, I don't love how they look anyway.

4. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

It's funny, all these deluxe sleeves and there has been issues with almost every type. I have records bought in the sixties and seventies that were kept in their standard issue paper sleeves and I have never encountered a problem. Back then before RCM's, I used to clean a new record with a Hunt record brush and blow out the inner sleeve, that was it. I always maintained my stylus (Shure M91ED), and when I pull out one of those records it still plays perfectly and quiet.
    Additionally I always kept the shrink wrap on the cover but did place them in a outer cover, today they look and sound like they were just bought.

cageyc likes this.
  5. teag

teag Forum Resident

Mine never bunch up and I have over a thousand.

Tullman likes this.
  6. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member Thread Starter

I cleaned mine with the original Discwasher brush plus Hunt carbon fibre and didn't discover Nagaoka sleeves until late 80's. I suspect records came cleaner from the factory and had less static in those days. Perhaps the rough inners actually helped in this respect. I didn't use wet cleaning until the emergence of Cantorian Discrex which was promoted by a well known UK reviewer. Went out of production I believe due to availability of some parts for the cleaning pads?

7. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

To be fair, that's select reported issues from a few different users.

I have hundreds of records in the poly lined rice paper style VRP sleeves
    (that preceded the contemporary MoFi and Quality) most of those bought
    25 years ago, and no issues. Likewise, no issues with any poly-lined stock
    stock sleeve like the ones that come from Pallas, MOV, Optimal etc. so I'm
    happy with the extra convenience of the ease with which they provide.

8. HappyCycler

HappyCycler Forum Resident

I found this particularly helpful. For those wondering how to get the record safely out of the pink ones without scratching them, watch this:

9. katstep

katstep Professional Cat Herder

There's someone with a lot of time on their hands. Seriously, all you need to do is bow the sleeve to make an open pocket shape (like he did in the intro) and slip the record out without it touching the paper. I do this with the thick cardboard sleeves all the time. :confused:

Bobsblkwax likes this.
  10. HappyCycler

HappyCycler Forum Resident

Sorry, just wanted to help :(

11. katstep

katstep Professional Cat Herder

Apologies, HappyCycler. I just was cracking up at his convoluted solution to an easy problem. It is creative, however.

HappyCycler likes this.
  12. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

I have some older Japanese pressings with these paper sleeves that are smooth on the inside.
    They are not poly lined though. I like them, does anybody know what im talking about or if they make
    them anymore?

13. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

I had been changing these out when I came across them, but after reading this thread, started going album by album, starting with the 45 sets. Music Matters, ORG, Impex, Box Star all had them. I didn't see any residue but still. If one of these if creased there is a very good chance of catching the sharp edge and scratching. I noticed after handling about 30 of these my fingers felt 'coated' with something.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.